Crash Bug End Of Map

TiberionEliteTiberionElite Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7373Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Crashes every time a team wins. help?</div> Ok here's the question, I know it was fielded earlier, but w/o an answer. Every time a team wins, the server crashes. now if I use the change map command early, even with a full server it works just fine and moves over. but after a whole round, it just crashes. Server doc is keeping it up, but I'd rather like the maps to change between rounds, and people to not have to reconnect. So how do I fix this overload issue, w/o changing the number of max players? I want to keep it at 30, and as the software gets better move the maxplayers up to 40 once I'm done. Give me some hints or thoughts or whatnot on this, I know it's a networking issue, and not a CPU overload, or memory overload, is it in the cfg files maybe a variable I can change? or maybe something in XP?

Thank you all for your time.

Comments

• Relic25Relic25 Pixel Punk Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 39Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    This is a tangential issue, but you won't be able to successfully run a 40 player server. Even if it is technically possible to do it (I don't know for a fact that it can't be done), I <i>do</i> know that your players would be more than a little irritated by massive telefragging. The game and maps were only designed with a maximum 32 player capacity.
  • ZarXZarX Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7493Members
    relic is right and if u wanna run that many ppl you might want to talk to EA about how they have the Battlefield 1942 servers set up.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yep, this is a known issue for really big games (24+ players). I think I've got the data I need to track down the problem (thanks Prodigy, from #nsserver) and I'll be fixing it for the next patch. Thanks.
  • TiberionEliteTiberionElite Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7373Members
    You have no idea how much I wanted to hear that Flayra! So happy now, I will love it once that's fixed. I use server doc so the server stays up, but of course it's stuck on the starting map, because I have to designate the starting map in the executable, and it can't randomly pick. I'm the owner of the TiberionElite's Server, and it runs 30 people at an average of 150 ping. No jumps, no skips, no nothing. a lot of us are dreaming of a 40 person server with 4 reserved slots. This is all a pipe dream until this network overload fix is implemented, best of luck tracking it down!!
    LOL btw flayra, forgot to mention, but there had been a running gag on the server that whoever was able to help me resolve any major issues would be in the running for access to reserved seats once admin mod was working on a win32 server. I'd be more then happy to give you that once admin mod is up, right now I am getting a little under 80 emails a day asking for server ops etc. it's craziness. Anyways it's been a running joke with the regs for a few days, and I think you'll have won it with this lol.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Sounds good to me, but wait until 1.02 is out before you decide to give it to me... :)
  • Jackson_DaneJackson_Dane Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2354Members
    I thought the most the HL engine allowed was a 32 person server?

Anyway, what are the specs on that machine you are running on?! It's got to be a monster?

CPU Util. and OS would also be helpful.

I'd love to up my server to atleast 20. Right now I am at 14 (between 50 and 80% CPU UTIL.) and I get great pings, but any higher pings go to hell.

Running a P4 2ghz, with 512mb of ram. I have a 24 person CS server (Averaging 5 to 10 players) and some other crap (low low cpu) on win2k.
    The server is 2.53 ghz P4, 1 gig ddr, 32 gigs video ram (older card) 10 meg/sec nic card sitting on an OC3, and running Windows XP corporate edition, w/o service pack 1 (should be obvious why)

And of course, you don't win the cookie unless ya fix it hehe