Ripent Map Project Needs Help

SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
<div class="IPBDescription">onos is getting stuck</div> I am working on converting a CS map to NS. I got everything working nicely but the only thing left to complete my project is that dreaded issue where onos is getting stuck.

Is there any way to get the nshulls.txt data into the map through the entity list? If so, how?

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Get the NS hulls in to the map is done during compiling its not an actuall entity.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2004
    Before anyone else does it, I will need to point you to the <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showforum=34' target='_blank'>Mapping help and troubleshooting sub forums</a>.

I'm not really sure if this is what you asked, but you need to add this switch to the hlcsg.exe compiler: -hullfile "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email@domain.com\half-life\nsp\nshulls.txt"
  • WolvWolv Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 56Members
    The simple answer is: no, you can't get the information of nshulls.txt into the map. This information is used by the compile tools when the map is generated to create the clipping hulls and there's no way you can change these once they're created.

You could always run your "fun" map in a 1.04 server...
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Or you could just get used to jumping when you try to upgrade.
  • SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
    Okay, so there is no way to implament the hulls text data into a map via ripent. I kinda feared that.

I have another question though. What is the "compile_paramiters" entity used for? It does have a paramiter for "hullfile". Since I use the SHLCT frontend compiler and zoner 2.5.3 tools, can't I just rename the .ent file to a .map file ( with the compile_paramiters entity ) and recompile it by just updating the entity list?

I refuse to believe that this just can't be done. There must be another option.
  • prsearleprsearle Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2365Members, Constellation
    The info_compile_parameters entity is used to pass parameters to the compile tools. It's an alternative to passing the parameters individually on the command-line. It's only used during compilation; it's not used when the map is loaded in-game. The "hullfile" keyvalue is used by hlcsg.exe as an alternative to the "-hullfile" switch.

There's no easy way to alter the collision hulls in a compiled map - changing the hull size requires essentially recomputing them from scratch. The servers that run converted maps use (I believe) a custom server plugin to prevent the player getting stuck.
  • SandmanSandman Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9870Members
    Okay, I tried recompiling with the default zoner 2.5.3 tools and it does not read the nshulls.txt file. It just says:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->hullfile              [    None ] [    None ]<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but still manages to run the vis calculations.

The map turns out very much so playable but the onos gets stuck.

I tried XP_Cagey's modified zoners 2.5.3 / 17p15 tools and it DOES read the info_compile_parameters and even sets the nshulls.txt file BUT fails to run the vis calculations needed.

Since it won't run the vis calculations, the map won't load in half-life or botmans BSP veiwer.

I really wish XP-Cagey could help me with this.
  • WolvWolv Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 56Members
    edited July 2004
    Once more to make sure you understand:

In order to update the hullfile the map would have to be recompiled with the original .map file as a source. Since you don't have that .map file you're in tough luck.
    Theoretically it should be possible to create a very complex program that somehow locates the fourth clipping hull, uses it with a new hullsize to create a third clipping hull and have that one overwrite the original third. Unfortunately, even if this very complex operation is finished it would most likely break the BSP tree and cause even more trouble.
    Also, as you may have noticed, XP-Cagey has been employed in the industry and is no longer allowed to work outside his current company, even if it's for free.

You could also decompile the CS map, just take a look at <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43856' target='_blank'>this 117 page thread</a> to give you an idea of the amount of work involved...

In short: Not Gonna Happen <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>tm</span>.