Rules For A Co Cup...

GamezLordGamezLord Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13457Members, Constellation
Im planning a combat 3v3 cup as a part of reviving a small community. Im not sure about if it has ever been done, but i do think a co cup/league/tournament must have been done once...

so if some1 can post the server settings (like timelimit...) rules (like how many maps) and such, it will help alot.

thx :O

Comments

• ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    edited July 2004
    There was an older co tournament run by the UGL awhile back. The rules were none, it sucked pretty much but I still had fun. Most clans hated it.

Anyhow if you were to run a co tournament, you need to implement rules so that it fixes combat.

Problem with competetive CO is that aliens are overpowered to the max in co, so you need to nerf what aliens can do.

- Aliens can't attack CC (only 3 players? That means someone needs to defend... leaving 2 to attack 3 aliens in the hive? Not fun/fair)
    - Aliens can't go in marine base (if there is no CC to kill, a spawn camp would last forever). Be lazy in enforcing this rule. Aliens can still parasite marines in their spawn, or spore or acid rocket them, but a skulk who leaps in and bites a marine breaks this rule here. Only ranged attacks are allowed in the marine base. Also, say a leaping skulk sorta lands on the outskirts but quickly runs out, then that's okay.
    - Aliens can't use webbing or xeno (both are rediculously overpowered)
    - Marines have 15 min to attack and kill hive
    - In the event of a tie (highly likely for alien-alien tie) then you give the win to the marine team that either got more kills, play another round (which doesn't work well because aliens are overpowered), or the marine team which inflicted more damage on the hive.
    - If anyone breaks any of the rules, then they instantly lose that round.

These rules help, but there are lots of other probelms to fix co that cannot be fixed with rule changes. If you were to run a co tourney then I highly recommend this list. It would make the tournament slightly enjoyable.

Some of these rules were used for CAL in an experimental tourney for CO, but xeno was abused like freaking crazy and it really sucked.

The rules I just gave you are a mix of CAL rules plus mine own.

Of course, in the rare event beta5 fixes co, then you won't need special rules, but the odds of that happening are greater than winning the lottery I fear.

Good luck with your tourney and if you have any more questions just ask.

EDIT:

Oh yeah maps. Use all offical maps for co except for co_rebirth, as that gives serious fps issues on many computers.

And for server settings like rates,

sv_maxrate 25000
    sv_minrate 2500
    sv_minupdaterate 40
    sv_mincmdrate 40

If it's on a lan

sv_minrate 25000
    sv_minupdaterate 101
    sv_mincmdrate 101
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    heres 2...

<a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75629&st=0&#entry1153070' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...0&#entry1153070</a>

<a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75282' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...showtopic=75282</a>

Scoring and f4ing etc are worth considering, after that it should be fine imo
  • GamezLordGamezLord Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13457Members, Constellation
    thx for the help guys...
  • ZykoZyko Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11653Members
    www.ns-league.com is doing one atm
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-Zyko+Jul 21 2004, 07:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zyko @ Jul 21 2004, 07:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> www.ns-league.com is doing one atm <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've seen some bad rules in my time, but ns-league takes the cake

Here are some highlights:

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Programmes that provide an advantage during game play (e.g. drivers that allow the removing of walls, Wallhacks, Aimbots, etc.) are forbidden.
    Any programmes that change the game itself are forbidden.
    Some scripts are also forbidden:
    leap/bite scripts
    blink/attack scripts
    Medpack/Ammo-drop scripts<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nice ban list on scripts

Also you fail to account for the fact combat is completely unbalanced