Is Ns Actually "beta" Still?

devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
Come on... how long are you going to drag on about NS being "beta", just release it as 3.0 and get started on whatever's next. Its kind of annoying as beta software usually has frequent updates to fix bugs and stuff... but when was the last time we saw a NS update? It's pretty sad.. "beta" software with a ton of stuff that needs to be fixed, and no updates in site. I'm not trying to insult the dev's but at least give us something to work with, we report all the bugs, we give long posts on balance, hell we even make plugins to try out different aspects of the game play (Unchained chambers).

What would be wrong with making NS open source? Would it really hurt anything.. its a free mod, and we will never have to pay for it, so what would making NS open source hurt? I can't see the point of having a few dev's who obviously have a lot of work to do. Instead of many dev's who can focus on new features and new balance systems.

Ok, now that I am done ranting, why are we still considering NS beta software. A few months ago I was playing on one of the last 2.0 servers, which has since moved on to 3.0

Can 3.0 really still be considered beta?

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) Yes, 3.0 can still be called a Beta.
    2) The delay with a patch is mostly due to the fact that Flayra is moving. He has no access to the 'net and can't work on NS at the moment. Just be patient and B5 will be out sooner or later.
  • mind_shiftmind_shift Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29165Members
    It probably would not be a good idea for NS to be released as open source just yet, there are still too many bugs that can be found and exploited. But if it was, then new plugins and modes of game play can be developed. Its a deadlock.
  • BattleTechBattleTech Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4137Members
    edited June 2004
    Nobody really consider's 3.0 public beta a beta anymore because we've just accepted it and alot of 2.0 server's have changed over to 3.0. It's more like a final release with "balance" updates, such as 1.0x and 2.01. For those few selected playtester's from the collapsed vet program, it's considered their beta.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-devicenull+Jun 22 2004, 06:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (devicenull @ Jun 22 2004, 06:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Its kind of annoying as beta software usually has frequent updates to fix bugs and stuff <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well there's your answer right there. THEY'RE STILL FIXING STUFF! Bugs AND balance.

What does it matter to you if it's beta or not, as long as they're working on it? It sure doesn't matter to me. I just play it.
  • ZunniZunni The best thing to happen to I&amp;S in a long while Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10016Members
    Yes it is...... still beta....
  • NeoMatrixj2NeoMatrixj2 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9638Members
    Ok how bout flayra locks it up into closed beta and tell you to wait and see, at least flayra lets you play what the dev team comes up with.
  • AbsolutCamperAbsolutCamper Join Date: 2004-05-10 Member: 28591Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hobojoe+Jun 22 2004, 07:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hobojoe @ Jun 22 2004, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i thought that you can't open source FPS's, because it'd be far too easy to write hooks \ hacks for them D: <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think to write hooks/ hacks you would need the HL engine's code, not the code in NS.
  • CodemanCodeman Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9497Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-devicenull+Jun 23 2004, 10:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (devicenull @ Jun 23 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Come on... how long are you going to drag on about NS being "beta", just release it as 3.0 and get started on whatever's next. Its kind of annoying as beta software usually has frequent updates to fix bugs and stuff... but when was the last time we saw a NS update? It's pretty sad.. "beta" software with a ton of stuff that needs to be fixed, and no updates in site. I'm not trying to insult the dev's but at least give us something to work with, we report all the bugs, we give long posts on balance, hell we even make plugins to try out different aspects of the game play (Unchained chambers)

Can 3.0 really still be considered beta? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Think Action Half-Life, it was beta for years.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited June 2004
    I'm starting to wonder how Gooseman survived the sometimes bi-yearly release schedule of his beta builds - we have to wait for two months for widely known reasons, and already there are such threads on a daily basis...

Yes, NS is still in beta status. Flayra is moving at the moment, Cagey used the time to fix as many 'minor' bugs as possible (Flayra having no internet connection atm, there's no way of reliably fixing bugs with implications on multiple parts of the code since no new releases can be compiled), so you can look forward to a beta 5 with a lot of the glitches that were object of joint frustration for a long time resolved.
    We will see a few rather drastic changes in NS' development later this or early next week; since I'm none of the concerned persons, I will however leave it to Charlie to announce the specifics.

Why will NS not be made into open source? Well, you see, our team leader is, as you might have noticed by now, not some under-challenged sysadmin coding NS on payed time, he has to make a living on his own. The latest step in Operation Rice Sacks for Charlie was, as you all know, the founding of a development studio. This studio relies on investors and publishers to get funding for its projects, one of them quite certainly the long-discussed NS2. To get such people to fork cash over to <i>you</i>, as opposed to the half dozen competitors, you need what is called 'assets'. NS is Charlies most valuable asset. Open-sourcing it would be comparable to Frodo throwing the Ring into the next river and hoping that it'll lead into Mount Dooms general direction.

Please excuse me if this reply is a little harsher than justifiable. As you might imagine, answering such questions pretty much every day chews on your nerves.
  • napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    edited June 2004
    It does beg the question: who cares?

'Beta' is just a label given to some thing - it's some what of a scape-goat for the Dev team so they can say "well of course there are bugs / balance issues... it's still in a beta release".

If they turn around and say "THIS IS VERSION V3. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT"

People will say "omg there is X bug and Y bug and Z bug still in it, and now you've added G bug and O bug and my god W bug is just killing me in every game.. how can you call this a final release?! /me downloads CS and goes off to be called a hacking script kiddie"

Just enjoy the game... the next version will change more things. again the community will be split into 3. Those who love it, those who hate it, those who aint fussed. On the chance that you hate it, make the most of what you have now, enjoy it, relish it, play it to death, but under no circumstances feel like you are owed a new version the next morning.

Edit - bear in mind that B4a was released less than 2 months ago and Flayra has been out of action for more than 2 weeks. Net effect? He's had some 6 weeks - you want a new version that quick? can't change any balance issues in that time as you need more playing time to find out the current issues. Bugs? not my area... Exterminators have been making great progress even in Flayra's absence - to save our bandwidth, they don't release a new little build every other week.
  • ClintClint Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18816Members
    Who cares?

As long as myself and many other NS gamers can play the game, have fun at the same time, and shoot aliens, or eat marines, it's all good.
  • crazynetcrazynet Join Date: 2004-05-13 Member: 28647Members, Constellation
    I aggress who cares.

Bugs can take time to beet out exp if ur having to test it with other people over the net. And with out any internet and moving.... its almost impossible to test the changes to the code that you do have standing.

Sit back... relax... and kill a few mariens/skulks
  • littlewildlittlewild Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9467Members
    It is just a term. There'd be no difference if flayra decided to remove the beta tag.

NS 3.0, NS 3.01, NS 3.02, NS 3.03, NS 3.04, NS 3.041
  • Jabba_The_HuntJabba_The_Hunt Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11850Members
    beta means its here for testing, therefore while they are still testing and balancing 3.0 we get to play the latest releases. Just be grateful that its an open beta rather than with the old vets project.
  • Impy_The_LerkImpy_The_Lerk Join Date: 2003-05-24 Member: 16652Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jabba The Hunt+Jun 23 2004, 08:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jabba The Hunt @ Jun 23 2004, 08:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> beta means its here for testing, therefore while they are still testing and balancing 3.0 we get to play the latest releases. Just be grateful that its an open beta rather than with the old vets project. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah be graitful you 2 can have a hand in ruining a great game...
  • EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    edited June 2004
    I am not affected by this but I do know some hosting servers do not allow beta software on their machines. This is the only reason I can see a problem with Beta.

Open source would be bad for Flayra, it woud be like taking your 3 year old child out the door and saying good luck. How would you expect that child to survive or even support you later on?

If ya cant wait, then go on and play some other mind numbing FPS game, nothing stopping you. Everyone should be greatfull that we have this game, for free may I add. One of the most complicated mods for HL and your complaining you havent had an update for 3 months.

If I was a or your parent this is about the time you would hear, "Sit down and shut up, you can get your candy when I say the time is right"
  • Hologram0Hologram0 Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9303Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Emanon+Jun 24 2004, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Emanon @ Jun 24 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If I was a or your parent this is about the time you would hear, "Sit down and shut up, you can get your candy when I say the time is right" <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ouch... Poor kids...
    Good point about the "beta" but most servers who wont let beta software propally wouldn't let people run free software off the internet. In terms of calling it a beta or not doesnt really affect the security of the system.

Well let Flay call it what ever he wants.

NS isnt going to be open source anytime soon, if it went opensource it would be chaos, constant patches taking the game in wierd directions, different patches that arnt compatible, so it wouldnt be like 2 modes, it would be like 2 games with the same charaters.
  • napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    well also if it went open source, then every server that changes one little bit would have a different version of the game... so you'd have to download NS for EACH server... and every update... it would be mayhem
  • Jabba_The_HuntJabba_The_Hunt Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11850Members
    and the hackers would have access to the source code aswell, ok not as bad as having the hl source code, but it could lead to some exploits being found.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    The reason NS development pretty much at a stop right now is because Flayra is moving and nobody has access to the server that has the source code on it. The server should be up within a week, though.