Friendly Fire

The_FoolThe_Fool Join Date: 2002-04-08 Member: 386Members
Server Operators <b>need</b> to be able to have the option to turn on Friendly Fire without turning on Tournament Mode. Tournament Mode changes a few things that should <b>never</b> be used in public games, while Friendly Fire would be nice on public servers to help curtail grenade and bile bomb spamming.

Comments

• denizendenizen Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2935Members
    I would agree.

There have been arguments about abuses of a ff option in other threads, these are groundless. Assuming that when ff is turned on the amount of tking would instantly jump to current Counter-Strike levels the benefits still outweigh any possible problems. Team-killing has been effectively delt with on many CS servers through the use of various admin-mods. Don't forget, as well, that this would be a <i>server option</i> not a universal constent. If you don't want to play on a sever with ff, don't. It is truly that simple.

The question, really, is how difficult it would be to add such an option.
  • TacticianTactician Join Date: 2002-02-19 Member: 228Members
    Agreed. Server admins ought to be able to change individual things, without the package deal.
  • The_FoolThe_Fool Join Date: 2002-04-08 Member: 386Members
    Adding FF is not hard, in fact, it took them extra effort to disable the FF option that's already built in to half-life.
  • RambarRambar Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2433Members
    Agreed. It's the most ridiculous thing in the world to be chomping on a building that's covering you from turrets only to have someone toss 3 grenades in there and kill you. It's ridiculous.
  • LiquidFusionLiquidFusion Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3139Members
    Personally i'm still undecided if ff is a good idea. I've been hosting a server and i find that the game gets more even once ppl start to learn how to play the aliens. I think the option is an ok idea, i'm just not sure if its a good idea. I personally don't play on any server other than my own so i won't have it on. I'm finding that GL's aren't that bad. The problem i find seems to be a lack of defence for aliens, not in the structure wise, but in ppl wise. Most alien players seem to just like to go off and kill ppl, and not to stay infront of the base cloaked waiting for stupid human players. Turns out this game requires team work......weird.
  • Dan_ForeverDan_Forever Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1054Members
    I think it should be an option on it's own, but I also don't think it's a good idea on public servers (just yet anyway)
  • saiyrsaiyr Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5653Members
    I think we should get Adminmod working for Windows before you release any FF stuff. Just my half a cent.
  • CoolmacCoolmac Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6973Members
    I always prefer to play with FF on in any game, because if you get used to it not being on, then the moment you end up in a clan match with FF on you end up shooting your teamies. Friendly fire should be an option that server ops can turn on or off.
  • DarkSpawnDarkSpawn Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1834Members
    edited November 2002
    Yep, give us FF, but guys are you btw, absolutely sure the vaiable isn availiable? Anyone tried mp_friendlyfire 1 to see what happens? Not sure I would enable it just yet on the my server, need to learn the game a bit better, but it will definitely be turned on sooner or later. Now that would put some limits to the marines going berserk with those grenades wouldnt it:D
    Yes, I am sure there is no way to turn friendly fire on alone. Currently, the only way to turn friendly fire on is to turn tournament mode on, and that adds some more options that I do not want active on my server.
  • LiquidFusionLiquidFusion Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3139Members
    edited November 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--The Fool+Nov 5 2002, 06:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (The Fool @ Nov 5 2002, 06:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes, I am sure there is no way to turn friendly fire on alone.  Currently, the only way to turn friendly fire on is to turn tournament mode on, and that adds some more options that I do not want active on my server.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed.

but i think gl were designed as a base assault weapon, which it is. its not hard to take out someone with one, the problem is the humans are going in groups. so what we need to do is make it where only ppl with GL's can go near someone with a GL. that works.....;-)
    Actually, someone in another thread posted an acceptable solution.

Make it so the grenades don't detonate if there is a marine in the blast radius.
  • DarkSpawnDarkSpawn Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1834Members
    From the changelog to v1.01: - Friendly fire now does 33% damage instead of full damage (tournament mode only)

I really hope that if we manage to get them to allow us admins to set ff on without activating tournament mode, we will get full damage. Instead of only 33%
  • TacticianTactician Join Date: 2002-02-19 Member: 228Members
    The manual explains why there isn't full friendly fire, and you can actually see its effects during a game when you shoot another marine.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A note on "Friendly Fire": the phenomena of "friendly fire" (weapons damaging one's own teammates) has been circumvented in the 22nd century, by the use of nano-triggers and nano-weaponry. Currently the term "FriendlyFire" refers to this system. Shrapnel, bullets, and blast particles are split-second destabilized before striking any Frontiersmen, fragmenting harmlessly against their armor. In rare cases nano-gridlock has been known to interfere with this protection for the duration of a battle. Another strange gap in the FriendlyFire system: a fired weapon still injures the person who activated it. This is only a danger with grenades and mines … but is very important to note.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This means tournament mode is one of the "rare cases nano-gridlock has been known to interfere with this protection for the duration of a battle." Why does it only interfere 33% now, anyway? Ought a server admin be able to bend the rules and create a "rare case" of interference without the accompanying annoyances? I understand why it would be made this way to keep up the atmosphere and storyline of the mod, but from the above responses it looks like it's interfering with an admin's ability to customize the game.

On the other hand, admins were given the opportunity to "bend the rules" in 1.0 by modifying resource allocation, and look what they did with that. I do hope the "there's one in every family" admins haven't ruined our fun for eternity.

I still wonder why siege cannons don't do full friendly fire, since there's not much nano-protection can do to stop a sonic blast.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The turret manipulates its gravitational field to induce a catastrophic effect – much like a sonic boom – that ignores intervening barriers and walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not like a llama can use siege cannons to kill teammates. A marine would have to walk into the siege blast on his own will (or under orders, maybe).
  • denizendenizen Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2935Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Tactician+Nov 7 2002, 03:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tactician @ Nov 7 2002, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The manual explains why there isn't full friendly fire, and you can actually see its effects during a game when you shoot another marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes it does. I knew that going into this thread. My theory was: If something from the backstory turned out to be negative in gameplay, it could be changed. However, i'm much less concerned with this since the patch was released. The ability to let server admins turn ff on and off would still be nice, though.
  • GanjaGanja Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10038Members
    tactician, that may have worked before 1.03 but in 1.04 when you need someone to sight for the siege cannon chances are they're gonna get blown into pieces 99.9% of the time seeing as the only possible place to hide in most cases is on top of the hive itself
  • DrekDrek Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Members
    I'm sorry, but that whole attempt to rationalize completely disabling FF is lame... please! nano-technology!?... In my opinion FF always makes Half-Life a better game no matter what the mod. The Statsme forgivetk script is also a very effect way to deal with idiots on public servers, of course I doubt that it would work with NS. However, once NS has developed a bit more (ie. the code is a bit more "finalized") I know that the folks at Statsme would like to develope a version for NS.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    FF would be terrible on public servers. Remember how everyone would TK the CC in v1.0? Remember how annoying that was?
  • BioHazardBioHazard Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7495Members
    adminmod or metamod plugins would curtail this issue. ban the **** that tk's the cc instantly and setup a retaliation if a person tk's a teammate. there already is a plugin that gives choices. 1-3 tk's = slap or slay 4-10 = kick slap slay and 10+ is ban or something close to that.. i dont remember it exactly but it would be easy to fix the tk issue. i am also one of those that hate spammed grens and bile bombs. we used to kick people for spamming nades in tfc.