How Exactly Are Exp Points Gained In Combat?

JimBowenJimBowen Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16873Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">slightly confused</div> From what ive noticed sometimes when i shoot/bite and register hits without killing, I get experience, and other times not. But when I kill i alwalys seem to get experience? any ides exactly what happens?

Comments

• comradecomrade Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23774Members
    You get exp when you kill someone or are near a teammate when they kill someone.
  • JimBowenJimBowen Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16873Members, Constellation
    so standing in a big group means the team would gain exp quicker?
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    they share exp between them
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin-SjN+May 18 2004, 03:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SjN @ May 18 2004, 03:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> they share exp between them <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    XP is shared, and each player gets a little bit more than his or her fair share. The size of this extra bonus increases as the size of the player group increases.
  • Status_QuoStatus_Quo Join Date: 2004-01-30 Member: 25749Members
    You kill someone on your own, you get 100% exp (the actual value depends, I believe, on the enemy's level). If there is one or more friendly player(s) nearby, the exp will be split equally. However, for each friendly player, you will get +10% (I think it's 10% at least) total exp to split. In effect, it means that if you kill a marine with one friendly nearby, you get 55% of the exp. If you kill one with 10 friendly players nearby, you get ~18.2%.
  • ViGilantE21ViGilantE21 Join Date: 2002-12-18 Member: 11033Members
    Combat Experience Ranks
    <i><b>LEVEL - EXPERIENCE REQUIRED </b></i>
    1 - ---
    2 - 100
    3 - 250
    4 - 450
    5 - 700
    6 - 1000
    7 - 1350
    8 - 1750
    9 - 2200
    10 -2700

The tougher the opponent, the more experience they are worth--as shown here:

Experience per kill
    <i><b>ENEMY'S LEVEL - POINTS GAINED</b></i>
    <!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->Level 1 - 60                                           Level 6 - 110
    Level 2 - 70                                           Level 7 - 120
    Level 3 - 80                                           Level 8 - 130
    Level 4 - 90                                           Level 9 - 140
    Level 5 - 100                                         Level 10 -150<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Extra cumulative experience is awarded when friendly players are nearby. For each friend that's nearby when a kill is made, the experience awarded is increased by 10. The total experience is then split among all the players. For example, if a marine kills a level 3 alien, and there are four friendly marines nearby at the time, the experience given is
    (80 [Level 3 kill] + 40 [4 x crowd award]) / 5 [number of players] = 24 for each marine regardless of who killed the alien.

Another way to look at it: a group of five players making five level 1 kills (one per person), would have 100 experience apiece, whereas one player making one level 1 kill would have 60 experience.

Besides killing enemy players, there is one other way to get experience: attacking objectives. As a player inflicts damage on the enemy hive or command station, that player gains experience. This experience is not shared with nearby players.

This can all be seen <b><a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/manual_version_2/Natural_Selection_Manual_Framed.html' target='_blank'>HERE</a></b>
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
  • AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    The upshot of this is that it is <b>very important to stay in groups</b> when playing (as a marine at least - aliens are more close combat so it is less likely you will be "near" a teammate when a kill occurs), because even if you are absolutely horrible your XP will gain much much faster when playing together. I think you will find that if you stay in groups when you first start off, you can gain XP quickly and then become more independent once you have some upgrades to survive.