Basic Marine Guide

FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">for newer players, a basic guide</div> The premise behind natural selection is technology vs evolution. Since the marines aren't gifted with the physical speed and strength, they developed ranged weapons to compensate for their lack of mobility and physical power. That being said, one could say that the primary advantage of the marines, is being able to hit the enemy before the enemy can strike the marine. To put it simply, range is the marine's main advantage. This guide will attempt to explain how to use that advantage to its maximum capacity.

Since we established that marines can hit the enemy before it hits it, we should realize that in order for alien to make a successful attack, it must take away that advantage. This "closing the gap" technique is used by the smart aliens quite frequently, aliens are masters of their enviorment, being able to move across walls and ceilings for better tactical posistion. So what can we as marines do to minimize the alien's closing of the gap?

1. Use sound. Aliens have distinct movement sounds. One can usually pick out a skulk from a gorge, a lerk etc... Use this to your advantage. The best way to achieve this is by using a set of headphones. I personally recommend the Plantronics Audio 90s (http://www.plantronics.com) they go for about 30$, and provide very good sound for people who like me, are on a budget. If you already use headphones, and you hear something, don't hesitate to look around. You might think its paranoid to do so, but some of the sneakiest skulks can wait for a group to pass and then flank them. If you do not watch your back, you are making the skulk's job of closing the gap that much easier. Sound is a dead give away of where an enemy can potentially be hiding. REACT to every alien sound you here, if you just acknowledge it, it is very important.

2. Be efficent in your movement. When moving, try to hug the far wall when going down a corridor, and keep your ears open. Know where to move away from is very important to being able to maximize the marine range advantage. Effiecent movement allows for effiecent range advantage, which is the objective to achieve.

3. Aiming correctly. Seemingly common sense, but there is a little more to it. Aiming just doesn't involve the mouse, it involves a little dodging as well. Be able to dodge, and jump (time the bite if they get close enough, and you will achieve knockback), is very crucial to keep the enemy from away from you while still dealing damage to it.

For those of you who have trouble aiming, I recommend testing out new sensitivities. Don't just use what the elite use, because that may not be right for you. Try adjusting it to lower or higher depending upon your needs. Sometimes a .1 or .2 change can make all the difference in your ability to aim. Experiment until you find something that can work for you.

In the early game, aliens need to close the gap to be effective, hopefully this guide will help you in becomming a better marine. All 3 of these things coincide with each other

you use sound to be more efficent in your movement, which can make your aim more effective by being farther away from the enemy. Use all 3 of these things to your advantage and I promise your marine game will improve.

Peace,

-iRiot-FireWater

Comments

• AshkajioniAshkajioni Ashkajioni Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13995Members
    Damn right. Love your headset and mic. It's your best friend, and sometimes your only friend! (especialy if your alone for some reason and have no MT)
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    I have no trouble at all early game. It's the Fades blinking across the ceiling and ducking at the same time that gives me problems...
  • BigMadSteveBigMadSteve Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13472Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-|ds|meatshield+May 14 2004, 10:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (|ds|meatshield @ May 14 2004, 10:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have no trouble at all early game. It's the Fades blinking across the ceiling and ducking at the same time that gives me problems... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is nothing you can do as a marine by yourself against one of them. You will need the comm to be half decent and have some backup. That's unless the fade decides to attack you directly and you are a fully teched up heavy. Play combat and take on the fades, it has made life so much easier against fades.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    This is just for the early game, in some pubs I've seen people not using the marine range advantage, no structure or method to their movement. This guide is to give a basic understanding why marines should do the things I wrote, in order to survive longer.
  • SoberanaSoberana Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17695Members
    If you just respawned, and see nobody nearby base, wait till someone else respawns. Cover him, tell him to follow you, anything, but work together. Safety in numbers.
  • ZunniZunni The best thing to happen to I&amp;S in a long while Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10016Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If you just respawned, and see nobody nearby base, wait till someone else respawns. Cover him, tell him to follow you, anything, but work together. Safety in numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly.

Unless I have a specific goal (attacking enemy RT's for example which requires stealth and me to be by myself), waiting for a buddy guarentees that once you leave MS, you have some really nice coverage.