Please Rename Combat Mode

HighnoHighno Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25706Members
<div class="IPBDescription">To Spawnkillmode</div> I don't know how you do this, but you must have a talent in making things worse then they are.

One question: why is only one person respawning?!
dou you think anybody is playing one on one?!

the current oneplayer respawn system would only work if the hive or the CC is somwhere else then the spawnpoints.

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->- Removed wave spawn to shorten game length (only one person spawning at a time).<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Ok now i get killed by my opponent
i get in the queue to get my reinforcing tag in the scoreboard
then ill have to wait till i'm actually respawning

If one player kills more then one people, the respwan queue gets longer and longer
if i killed 5 people and get killed as the last one of my team
I have to wait too this only becaue i was the only one who fragged somebody.

In my opinion every player should have his own respawn counter
and at the end of that counter he is respawning
and not the next one to respawn

no wave and no single respawning and all related to the current game

If a rambo kills 3 skulks with one shot, these three skulks will respawn at the same time.

It doesn't interest me if this has been said before
The current system has short but very lame combat games
half of the game your watching the enemy killing your team one by one
every two or three seconds, this is senseless

Comments

• Viet0neViet0ne Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7602Members
    Agreeed but the new system does what combat was meant to do, short games.

I perfer the old system where the spawn time changes with your lvl. This was very nice and it looked like the game was almost even for both teams. Alot of people complained about being lvl8-10 and having long respawn times but now it may be shorter but you get spawn camped so easily.

So i think theg ame needs modes of chaning the spawn system

like sv_spawntype
    1 being beta 1 spawn system (time is increased with lvl)
    2 being the wave spawn system
    3 being set spawn limit (sv_spawnlimit default is 1)
  • Kills_Gorges_on_SightKills_Gorges_on_Sight Join Date: 2004-04-25 Member: 28190Members
    I agree, there should be a variable to choose the spawn system.
  • Boy_who_lost_his_wingsBoy_who_lost_his_wings Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23924Banned
  • thedraftthedraft Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2919Members
    I've thought the same thing. In the history of multiplayer FPS games, there are constant irritants. Campers are one. No one likes the guy who plants himself halfway between the armor and rocket launcher and just racks up kills like crazy. You know what else no one likes? The guy who works his way into your spawn point and guns you down a second after you spawn.

So tell me, why would you design a game built entirely around spawn killing?
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You bring up a good point Highno. With the new 10-minute limit, the spawn rate cap is no longer needed to shorten games. I would like wave spawning to return (maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th or the team spawns at once?) so that you don't spend so much time in the spawn queue.
  • SyringedSyringed Join Date: 2003-04-17 Member: 15579Members, Constellation
    If you check out nsarmslab.com's server, they have implimented a wave spawn plug in system for combat which makes it much more playable and fun. Other servers are starting to use a similar plug in as well.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your probably talking about Cheesy's plugin. Its wonderful. Combined with the new mode with a 10 min timelimit, Combat is GREAT. Now just lose the comm chair, and it'll be perfect. Marines actually move out, instead of camping their spawn.
  • HydraHydra Join Date: 2003-06-14 Member: 17366Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually I REALLY like the nsa's server spawnsystem, it is very fun to play. The spawncamping is solved, no more waiting 1+ MINUTES to spawn, and the 7seconds+2 per dead person works very well in allow the attackers to kill the cc. It is THE BEST IDEA for spawning I have played yet. This affects both teams of course, and I the numbers seem great as is. I vote the next beta implement a 7 second + 2 seconds per person dead and see how it goes.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In the private test of Beta 4a, Flayra briefly implemented a wave spawn system(I believe the specifics were that a certain amount of time after the first person dies, everybody on the team spawns except those who died in the last 4 seconds. It was that way for some time before 3.0's beta went public). It brought a lot of bugs with it though and Flayra pulled it temporarily because he wanted to release 4a that night. I assume we're going to be trying it again in the next private test. Flayra is fully aware that nobody likes the individual spawn system.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    Doesn't it take 2-3 sec to spawn 1 rine and 3-4 sec to spawn one alien?
  • TugBoatTugBoat Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28077Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Petco+May 3 2004, 02:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Petco @ May 3 2004, 02:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Doesn't it take 2-3 sec to spawn 1 rine and 3-4 sec to spawn one alien? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dont know,

But an alien can get to the CC area in about 6-8 seconds, as a Marine running takes 20 seconds +.

I like the multiple Spawn rate, as I have read on some other forums, this is a game, people want to play it, they dont want to watch there cpu screen for 30+ seconds at time doing nothing, waiting to spawn.
  • l3igDl3igD Join Date: 2003-11-20 Member: 23262Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-TugBoat+May 3 2004, 02:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TugBoat @ May 3 2004, 02:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Petco+May 3 2004, 02:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Petco @ May 3 2004, 02:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Doesn't it take 2-3 sec to spawn 1 rine and 3-4 sec to spawn one alien? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dont know,

But an alien can get to the CC area in about 6-8 seconds, as a Marine running takes 20 seconds +.

I like the multiple Spawn rate, as I have read on some other forums, this is a game, people want to play it, they dont want to watch there cpu screen for 30+ seconds at time doing nothing, waiting to spawn. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That all depends on the map. Some maps are fun and some are not.
  • AreteArete Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5921Members
    Don't let the aliens take over the spawn no more spawn killing.
  • geekanarchygeekanarchy Join Date: 2004-03-09 Member: 27244Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Don't let the aliens take over the spawn no more spawn killing.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats like the "skulks should only be used for ambushing" argument, the game just doesn't work that way. Marines have to move out of base to kill the hive and you'll never take the hive if you leave half your team at base protecting your spawn.
  • AreteArete Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5921Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-geekanarchy+May 4 2004, 12:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (geekanarchy @ May 4 2004, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Don't let the aliens take over the spawn no more spawn killing.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats like the "skulks should only be used for ambushing" argument, the game just doesn't work that way. Marines have to move out of base to kill the hive and you'll never take the hive if you leave half your team at base protecting your spawn. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, its perfectly legit.

This guy complaining is the type of person who runs out of his base as soon as he spawns, how about they hit TAB and go "oh crap, 5 people are dead, lets wait for them to respawn". I see this all the time.

Work together, guard spawners, wait for reinforcements, push out with a solid group and leaving some behind to defend.

Either that or accept that spawn killing is part of the game.
  • Roger_DodgerRoger_Dodger Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14392Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Arete+May 5 2004, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Arete @ May 5 2004, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-geekanarchy+May 4 2004, 12:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (geekanarchy @ May 4 2004, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Don't let the aliens take over the spawn no more spawn killing.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats like the "skulks should only be used for ambushing" argument, the game just doesn't work that way. Marines have to move out of base to kill the hive and you'll never take the hive if you leave half your team at base protecting your spawn. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, its perfectly legit.

This guy complaining is the type of person who runs out of his base as soon as he spawns, how about they hit TAB and go "oh crap, 5 people are dead, lets wait for them to respawn". I see this all the time.

Work together, guard spawners, wait for reinforcements, push out with a solid group and leaving some behind to defend.

Either that or accept that spawn killing is part of the game. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OK organise that in a random pub with casual players who play combat for the frags...

Combat mode is meant to be fun and get you used to learning the weapons etc not how to occupy time in the respawn queue.

- RD
  • MrChainsawMrChainsaw Join Date: 2004-04-07 Member: 27786Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Roger Dodger+May 5 2004, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Roger Dodger @ May 5 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Combat mode is meant to be fun and get you used to learning the weapons etc not how to occupy time in the respawn queue. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah... that's why I got hooked on it...

Anybody hit level 10 as a marine lately?
  • HighnoHighno Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25706Members
    Yeah and please add a Chatroom to the NS Site