A Physics Question

P-KhanP-Khan Join Date: 2003-05-27 Member: 16776Members
<div class="IPBDescription">on sound</div> OK, I have this small dilema regarding the speed of sound.

The speed of sound travels faster through a hot medium than through a cold one. This is seen as sound travels faster in hot air than in cold.

Also, the speed of sound travels faster in a medium with greater order. Faster in solids than in gas. This is because sound is traveled by the partciles vibrating eash other, and eventually vibrating the ear drum. Thus, the closer they are, the faster they go.

Now the dilema. How can sound travel faster through something hot, if the cooler the substance is, the more backed together are the particles? Like, it will travel faster through water than through steam, but if you heat water, the sound travels faster, and to produce steam you need hot things, so if you heat you start producing steam, which should go faster, but goes slower.

Can't explain very well, but I think you get the point.

Is something goofed up? Did I miss someting? Is one of the things I said false? Why is it like this?!

Comments

• Har_Har_the_PirateHar_Har_the_Pirate Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19388Members, Constellation
    edited May 2004
    i believe it has something to do witht the electrons in motion are unable transfer their energy outwards as easily, just as warm metals dont transfer energy as cold ones

and sounds doesnt go threw non solids/liquids quickly because the atoms are not as close to bounce the sound/energy

im not sure if im right but i remember something like that
  • P-KhanP-Khan Join Date: 2003-05-27 Member: 16776Members
    Well, I don't think electrons have nothing to do with sound, as it is a mechanical wave, not an electromagnetic wave. Maybe I'm wrong thou
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    edited May 2004
    Sound travels faster through solids because the atoms are closer together, sound travels faster through warmer masses because the atoms have more kinetic energy (they can get closer to eachother faster). When a substance has lower average kinetic energy (temperature) the atoms vibrate less and less (until it's theorized at absolute zero they stop completely).

So, if the substance is cool, the atoms are closer together, but they can't vibrate as much (but if memory serves me correctly, sound still travels faster through hot water than it does through steam). Once the water becomes steam the atoms spread out an immense amount (relative to the hot water).

...I think I said that right.

[edit] And: Sound doesn't bother with electrons, it's a pressure wave, in that the atoms will group together and then disperse.

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->
    O O           O O
     O       O      O
    O O           O O
     O       O      O
    O O           O O

O = an atom (not really to any scale either)
    <!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->
    It can be demonstrated by getting a slinky, pulling an inch or two in your hand and then releasing the inch or two to the rest of the slinky so that it pulses down the slinky.

[edit] Mantrid's is probably quicker and easier to understand than mine.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    Its because...

Sound waves transfer energy, like any other wave. When they hit a particle, that particle gets the energy, and begins to vibrate, and will, in turn, pass that energy on to another particle.

In a hot material, the particles hit each other a lot more. Because there are more and faster collisions, the vibrating particles transfer their energy to another particle faster.

And sound has nothing to do with electrons.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> just as warm metals dont transfer energy as cold ones<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is true, except for Super-Conductors, where metals are cooled so much that they have negligable resistance.
  • BogglesteinskyBogglesteinsky Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11488Members
    Hot liquids and gases are less dense than cooler liquids and gases, so it would make sense for sounds to travel slower, as the particles have to travel further before they hit another particle to pass the sound wave on. However, since the substance is hotter, the particles have greater kitetic energy, so they travel faster. Yes, the particles have further to go, but, since they are travelling faster, they get there quicker, faster than it would take a particle with less kinetic energy to travel a shorter distance.

And yes, at absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin, ~-273 degrees centigrade) the particles have no kinetic energy at all, they not not vibrate. Of course, you can never get down to absolute zero, because you need something colder to take the heat.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    Not necessarily, they are experimenting with lasers to just "hold" the atoms until they stop moving.
  • BogglesteinskyBogglesteinsky Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11488Members
    Well, you learn something new every day.