Ns_frost

TinManTinMan Join Date: 2002-04-14 Member: 445Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Aka ns_coolant...</div>Hi there!

My map was previously known as 'ns_coolant', but this name was already in use by a map by ant2cool... So here's a new name. You may have seen shots of the old one. There wasn't much change in it, but now I have a real layout, and I compiled all I have done yet. That takes us to my question:

Is the following compile log excerpt normal?
I mean, I know I did a full vis which takes a while, but there's still much to do in my level... I would say, 50% of the ground structure is done, 30% of the main rooms, and 20% of the overall detail work.

I used a AMD1.6+ for compiling, ZHLT, and I have to expect to have compiling times around 4 hours when my level is complete... IS THIS REALLY NORMAL?

[compile process window]
7957 faces
Create Patches : 63904 base patches
0 opaque faces
710881 square feet [102366896.00 square inches]
194 direct lights

visibility matrix   : 243.4 megs
BuildVisLeafs:
(398.58 seconds)
MakeScales:
(1467.84 seconds)
SwapTransfers:
(855.58 seconds)
Transfer Lists : 88933126 transfers
      Indices : 29578764 bytes
         Data : 355732504 bytes
Bounce 1 GatherLight:
(583.52 seconds)
FinalLightFace:
(33.08 seconds)
3847.67 seconds elapsed [1h 4m 7s]

[/compile process window]

Thanks for any answers.

I'll post a layout and stuff in the next days...

Comments

• HanzGruberHanzGruber Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 47Members
    hrmmm... I'm not sure... a lot of people say their compiles take 2-5 hours sometimes... I myself have never had a compile take more than 30 minutes... you should try compiling it with "Shodan" ...if you go to www.readyroom.org and look on the links to the left there is a button for shodan which explains it - it's a compiling service that MonsE (I think) made...with powerful server behind the compiling...

From the looks of it though, your vismatrix (at 230+mb) will be what is mostly slowing you down...
  • Relic25Relic25 Pixel Punk Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 39Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    How much RAM do you have?  That's important when it comes to the RAD step.  If you don't have a lot, you may want to try adding "-sparse" to the command line for RAD.  It will reduce the size of your vismatrix drastically.  I can't say it's guaranteed to work better for you (it's highly dependant on a lot of different factors), but it's worth a try.  

By the way, with -sparse it takes approximately 4 hours to completely compile ns_bast.  This isn't unusual.  If I had more RAM, I'd compile without the -sparse switch and that might knock an hour or so off the time, but that's hard to say.
  • bluemanblueman Join Date: 2002-04-09 Member: 399Members
    well. i dont compile with the -sparse thing but my map takes 4 hours to compile, which is alot as my map is really small and still havent done the readyroom......
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    A 1 hour rad time isn't anything out of the ordinary.  My map generally has 15-20 minute rad times when I'm only compiling a single room.  I'd probably have a good 2-4 hours if I tried doing the whole thing at once.  But then, my comp isn't exactly the greatest, so I'm used to sending off my compiles overnight and waking up in the morning to a fresh bsp.
  • ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Join Date: 2002-05-18 Member: 628Members
    Looking at the size of the visility matrix, you need to make more rooms. I hope you didn't put a skybox around the entire map.
  • CyonProCyonPro Join Date: 2002-02-02 Member: 154Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--ZeroPointNRG+Oct. 29 2002,11:27--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (ZeroPointNRG @ Oct. 29 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->...put a skybox around the entire map.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me shudders at the thought.
  • Delete_MeDelete_Me Join Date: 2002-04-01 Member: 368Members
    Quite honestly, if you have a vismatrix of 243.4 and are only halfway done with your map, I'd be worried about planes or at least something other than RAD at the moment.
  • TinManTinMan Join Date: 2002-04-14 Member: 445Members
    Well, so it might be I'll have to do some areas... I had some rounded hallways in it, and they got leaked, I rebuilt them and they had leaks again and again, so I've put a small box around these hallways. And I have a huge lounge with some windows and a skybox outside. Maybe I can fix the problems with the curved hallways by vertex-manipulation...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do it right now, and not tomorrow...

I'll have to 'freeze' ns_frost for a while, I have to study... BUT I WILL NOT DROP THIS PROJECT, I PROMISE!!

The Layout is now completed, and, well, 40% of the 3D halls and rooms. Few detail work, lightning needs still lotsa work, so... I think I'm around 30% done with the overall work.

Thanks for all yer help,
    CU all
    TinMan