Super Mario Bros. Secret World ?!

wnnwnn Zombie Panic modellerMembers Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16960Posts: 788
edited April 2004 in Off-Topic
for all you mario fans
hey, i ran through this website while surfing:

http://www.smbhq.com/users/mysteries/minusworld2.htm

it has been confirmed that a minus one world exists,
and i even played my old nes and got to it,

But does anyone here know if this second minus world exists or not ??

I'm sure there are some hardcore mario fans in those forums... :p
Clever. Quite obnoxious, but clever.

-- Nem

Comments

• StarchyStarchy Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15727Posts: 1,295 Fully active user
    I have heard of the minus 1 but not 2. sad.gif I still hope! biggrin.gif
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Members Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Posts: 4,646
    Hmmm...interesting, I am trying it out right now on my um.....NES.............and I'll tell you if I get it to work, I'malready in negative 1 world, so I guess I'll just have to go through it a few thousand times.
    user posted image

YOU GO NOW!
    ^deader than a doornail^

Your mouth=pwned
  • wnnwnn Zombie Panic modeller Members Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16960Posts: 788
    QUOTE (AllUrHiveRBelong2Us @ Apr 26 2004, 11:39 AM)
    Hmmm...interesting, I am trying it out right now on my um.....NES.............and I'll tell you if I get it to work, I'malready in negative 1 world, so I guess I'll just have to go through it a few thousand times.

^_____^

i've tried a couple of times already,

and i shall NOT stop until i get to minus 2 world !

(or until mario cracks his head)

-- Nem
  • big_jimbig_jim Members Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24350Posts: 205
    as i was reading it i thought "hmm could be real" then i saw the goomba king and laughed. it look so much like a 5 min paint job.

then i read the email. and it did seem fake. untill i got to
    One more thing, I wanted to let you know that we are inviting all of our consumers with Internet access to sign-up for the Nintendo Power Source and receive free E-mail updates about all of the hottest Nintendo news.  To sign up for our Newsletter, go to www.nintendo.com and click on the Newsletter icon located on the right-side of the screen.

no doubt in my mind that this is real now, advertising everywhere wow.gif
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Posts: 5,576 Fully active user
    Well there's two things that make me believe this is a fake.

First off, look at the -1 screenshots. Notice the time is exactly the same from when he swam into the wall and when he's through it. Meaning it literally didn't take 1 second to do that action. Secondly, int he email it states there is a 1/2002 chance of being able to swim through the wall. This is a very good excuse as to why nobody else will be able to do it.
  • wnnwnn Zombie Panic modeller Members Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16960Posts: 788
    i know, though i wanna fight that big gommba :Q___

i'm jsut going to try on and on until my fingers hurt really bad :'<

-- Nem
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE (esuna @ Apr 26 2004, 11:53 AM)
    Well there's two things that make me believe this is a fake.

First off, look at the -1 screenshots. Notice the time is exactly the same from when he swam into the wall and when he's through it. Meaning it literally didn't take 1 second to do that action. Secondly, int he email it states there is a 1/2002 chance of being able to swim through the wall. This is a very good excuse as to why nobody else will be able to do it.

Check again. There is a 10 second difference.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Posts: 5,576 Fully active user
    Very good point, heh. Also, another thing i've noticed. Notice how the blocks on the left hand side don't tile properly while the blocks on the right do. This is, without a doubt, a Photoshop job, and a pretty slack one at that. smile.gif
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    Actually, I just noticed that the 10 second difference is in the wrong direction unless time time was counting backwards.
  • DubersDubers Pet Shop Boy Edinburgh, UKMembers Join Date: 2002-07-25 Member: 998Posts: 2,303 Advanced user
    QUOTE (esuna @ Apr 26 2004, 05:03 PM)
    Very good point, heh. Also, another thing i've noticed. Notice how the blocks on the left hand side don't tile properly while the blocks on the right do. This is, without a doubt, a Photoshop job, and a pretty slack one at that. smile.gif

My sentiments exactly.
    "Remind me never click any DuBERS'-provided links ever again..." - MonsieurEvil
    QUOTE (moultano @ Apr 26 2004, 12:09 PM)
    Actually, I just noticed that the 10 second difference is in the wrong direction unless time time was counting backwards.

In mario time is counting backwards, so yeah :p

-- Nem
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Members Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Posts: 4,646
    Yes, I checked again and it's the blocks that did it for me. I'm thinking fake. Twas a fun thought though.
    user posted image

YOU GO NOW!
    ^deader than a doornail^

Your mouth=pwned
  • TequilaTequila Members Join Date: 2003-08-13 Member: 19660Posts: 3,020
    Just read the guy's email and the reply, never mind the screenshots.

Don't mug yourself over this.
    edited April 2004
    Esuna why do you have to be so smart :<

i want a costum level for mario with skulks and a big gommba, mehhhh

-- Nem
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Members Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Posts: 3,226
    Why don't you guys lookup if theres a [email protected] I sort of doubt it.
    user posted image
    Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.
  • NikonNikon Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-09-29 Member: 21313Posts: 816
    highlight the very bottom of the page, the black part.......... sorry for the let down sad.gif
    Nikon.OldF
  • TenSixTenSix Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7932Posts: 1,122
    April Fools joke that didnt die, see this forum post by the guy who posted the article:
    http://www.vgf.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbcgi/ulti...c;f=14;t=000015
    user posted image
    ohhh god....

:(

-- Nem
  • RustySpoonRustySpoon Members Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Posts: 994
    Press ctrl+A and scroll down.

I noticed this by accident as I was reading it smile.gif
    IPB Image
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Members, NS1 Playtester Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Posts: 8,596
    :(

I soooo wanted this to be real. :(
    Russell 'DOOManiac' Weed

[email protected]

• NurotNurot Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-12-04 Member: 23932Posts: 557
    Wow if there even was a world -1 or -2 then that'd be completely lame and that screen shot of him going through the wall I've seen it before because he's not the only one who claims there is a -2 there seems to be about 20 versions floating around.
    ~Nurot~ Antepilani ab Christus
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Members Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Posts: 10,075
    What's the Minus World? I've never heard of it until now.
    QUOTE (Thansal @ Oct 14 2007, 12:14 PM) »
    I am with Them and Liku (who is fun to pwn with a baseball bat).
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Members, NS1 Playtester Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Posts: 8,596
    QUOTE (Liku @ Apr 26 2004, 02:17 PM)

WTH?

Seriously?

I thought everyone who owned a Nintendo had been there at least once...

There's a trick in 1-2 you can do to go through the walls to the warp zone and you get into a water world labelled -1. It has no ending, it just loops over and over till you die. Presumably its a bug, nobody really knows for sure.
    Russell 'DOOManiac' Weed

[email protected]

• Fro5tyFro5ty Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21238Posts: 486
    QUOTE (DOOManiac @ Apr 26 2004, 07:24 PM)
    QUOTE (Liku @ Apr 26 2004, 02:17 PM)

WTH?

Seriously?

I thought everyone who owned a Nintendo had been there at least once...

There's a trick in 1-2 you can do to go through the walls to the warp zone and you get into a water world labelled -1. It has no ending, it just loops over and over till you die. Presumably its a bug, nobody really knows for sure.

If it were a bug, Mario would have probably kept walking backwards through an invisible wall forever, or it would have gone to the end of the level and stopped. I think on one of the shows in G4, they said that they put it in as an easter egg.

Also, he may have not been old enough to have a nintendo. All us old gamers are starting to hit the retirement homes (a.k.a. the job market.)
    "Remember, your weapon was made by the lowest bidder."
    "You are not superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note."
    "No plan survives the first encounters of combat intact."
    "The diversion you are ignoring, is the main enemy assault force." -Murphey's Laws
  • Crono5Crono5 Members Join Date: 2003-07-22 Member: 18357Posts: 1,855
    I love how he was just casually playing on his old NES and managed to get screens like those.

"See the bulletproof dress hanging from the clothesline?\See the medical chart with the random zig-zag?\Now I'll help it decide\I palindrome, I"
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Members Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Posts: 6,072
    QUOTE (WoW_Nirss @ Apr 26 2004, 12:35 PM)
    ohhh god....

sad.gif

I'm sorry for your dissapointment, you seemed pretty excited about this. I'm sure there are plenty of other game's secrets to search, there will always be dead ends like this one.

I for one spent several months going through Ocarina of Time Glitches to travel through cutscenes trying to get to the supposed trifoce scene. I never managed to, but everything I did was with little to no help from the internet.

Anyway, good luck with any other secrets you look for.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Members Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Posts: 2,543
    QUOTE (Cold-NiTe @ Apr 26 2004, 09:08 PM)
    QUOTE (WoW_Nirss @ Apr 26 2004, 12:35 PM)
    ohhh god....

sad.gif

I'm sorry for your dissapointment, you seemed pretty excited about this. I'm sure there are plenty of other game's secrets to search, there will always be dead ends like this one.

I for one spent several months going through Ocarina of Time Glitches to travel through cutscenes trying to get to the supposed trifoce scene. I never managed to, but everything I did was with little to no help from the internet.

Anyway, good luck with any other secrets you look for.

Yeah, the Triforce hoaxes were very popular. Its easy to get people to believe things they want to believe, thats why we see stuff like this all the time. Just about every game with a resonably sized fanbase has these, like Thief and the Crossbow.
    1.04ever
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Members, NS1 Playtester Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Posts: 2,977
    this can also be disproven through the use of bits.

Note that the chance is 1/20001. that means, in order to determine the current chance, the cart would have to store three numbers, the first being the current number, the second being the max number, being 20001 (because 20001 can not be evenly devided into bits) and the third being the target number. In a standard 8bit format, this would mean they would need to distribute 1 byte for every 255 in all three numbers. this is a total of 79 bytes for each number, or a total of 237 for all three. Now, if you were a nintendo programmer with VERY LIMITED MEMORY AND DATA CONSTRAINTS, would you waste 237 valuable bytes of data memory on a trigger that would only appear only in less then 1% of the game's common use?

I didn't think so.

In addition, I do not believe NES programming allowed numbers over 255 to even be considered due to system constraints, so that is another way it could be false as well.
    Am I infected with Delicious?
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Members Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Posts: 10,075
    You can get to the Triforce, one way or another in Ocarina of Time.

I had a NES, and Super Mario Bros. I just played Zelda a lot, and really had no friends so I didn't hear word about things in the gaming world when something was uncovered.
    QUOTE (Thansal @ Oct 14 2007, 12:14 PM) »
    I am with Them and Liku (who is fun to pwn with a baseball bat).
  • Boy_who_lost_his_wingsBoy_who_lost_his_wings Banned Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23924Posts: 725
    i thoght this was real... damn you cruel internet gods!!!
    Justice may be slow at times, but it's steady.