Time???

gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
as far as i know in every space movie/ series, StarTrack, Star Wars, battleship galactica Alien(s), Armageddon, Buck Rogers, Lost in Space, Marooned, and had a scanner/PDA of some kind that kept time ether according to the planet, or in-sink with a ship in orbit, i think the scanner in star track did both.

a previous discussion:
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140985/clock-s#latest

Comments

• andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    Agree. We need atleast a day / night indicator
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    Earthtime or 4546Btime?

Hmm, that's gonna be a bastard when we eventually do go off into space... Timezones for planets, star systems, galaxy (universes?). And here we're already getting annoyed by our ball of fun called Earth and it's glorious timezones...

#futureworldproblems
  • MisterSpiggyMisterSpiggy Join Date: 2016-11-29 Member: 224343Members
    Or how about just a rotating indicator with four markings: Sunrise, Noon, Sunset, Midnight ... and perhaps a day counter
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    Or how about just a rotating indicator with four markings: Sunrise, Noon, Sunset, Midnight ... and perhaps a day counter

that was part of my original idea
    I was just thinking that the PDA much like any other computing devise should have a clock of some kind with a timekeeping system similar to startreck or firefly
    Also “planet” time could be represented by a clockwise turning pic of the planet with half shaded to represent day and night with an arrow or pic of the player representing the time

qxz9cubtz07s.jpg
    bsxwqovkch8w.jpg

• XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    edited December 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Earthtime or 4546Btime?

Hmm, that's gonna be a bastard when we eventually do go off into space... Timezones for planets, star systems, galaxy (universes?). And here we're already getting annoyed by our ball of fun called Earth and it's glorious timezones...

#futureworldproblems

We already have a solution to that. It's called UTC and it's the definitive time of the human race. We even already deal with relativistic effects, e.g. GPS satellites are regularly synced back to UTC; they run about 40,000 nanoseconds faster per day and over time that's enough for your GPS receiver to become inaccurate, and hence the need to re-sync.

We may need to think up a new one (as UTC is currently synced back to the actual planetary cycle, hence leap-years and leap-seconds) or just stop syncing it.

In any case sci-fi has already provided more than enough answers to this problem. You'd need two times; local time, and standard time. For example many sci-fi stories about Mars either use a Martian Sol (Solar Day) directly (e.g. mission times for the Mars rovers are measured in Sols), or use UTC and an "adjustment" time of around 39 minutes to keep the two in sync.

In Subnautica I feel all that's really needed is local time, and I'd really like to have one. You could even make a game element out of it. The initial life-pod uses "Galactic Time" and makes no real sense for the planet, and then you can later fabricate a clock that uses local time instead, making things much easier for yourself.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members

Xzanron wrote: »

We already have a solution to that. It's called UTC and it's the definitive time of the human race. We even already deal with relativistic effects, e.g. GPS satellites are regularly synced back to UTC; they run about 40,000 nanoseconds faster per day and over time that's enough for your GPS receiver to become inaccurate, and hence the need to re-sync.

We may need to think up a new one (as UTC is currently synced back to the actual planetary cycle, hence leap-years and leap-seconds) or just stop syncing it.

In any case sci-fi has already provided more than enough answers to this problem. You'd need two times; local time, and standard time. For example many sci-fi stories about Mars either use a Martian Sol (Solar Day) directly (e.g. mission times for the Mars rovers are measured in Sols), or use UTC and an "adjustment" time of around 39 minutes to keep the two in sync.

In Subnautica I feel all that's really needed is local time, and I'd really like to have one. You could even make a game element out of it. The initial life-pod uses "Galactic Time" and makes no real sense for the planet, and then you can later fabricate a clock that uses local time instead, making things much easier for yourself.

andrewc wrote: »
    Agree. We need atleast a day / night indicator