Points for teamwork.

RevanBladeZRevanBladeZ Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186545Members
I am having a bit of a problem with the points at least as marine. i have noticed that always when lets say 3 people are constructing the building, only one of them( probably the one who did the last part) gets points. This is really starting to get on my nerves since afterall, this is a teambased game but when the building works like this it sometimes makes me feel like my team is bit of a burden, which is not good in a game like this. I remember i once constructed at least 7 buildings and got nothing for it. its not gamebreaking but its real annoying to see myself on bottom of the scoreboard even though i have built many buildings only to see some other player come finish it for me and take my points, which should belong to both of us. i have noticed that same thing seems to apply to killing, since only the one who does the killing attack seems to get points.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    *Phased* to NS2 General Discussion.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    The second problem is fixed with assists on some servers, which gives half the points to everyone who assisted and full points to the person who got the kill. I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble to add building destruction/construction assists.

On a side note, why do light marines always give the same number of points for a kill? A JP shotgunner is certainly harder to kill than a lmg marine.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The ironic timing of this thread and the last few pages of the Beta Test mod thread.. 0.o
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    HA! Yes eh, you are correct, i used the wrong word. Good call.
    *pins special star badge* :)
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Boy if I had a star sticker for every time you made a mistake or made an ass of yourself I'd be Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I never look at the points, only the k/d and whether were winning are good indicators of success.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Uwe didnt really thought about the scoresystem, so it dont has to represent how good your are. So don't care that much about points. If you know how you can easily farm points at the vanilla point system ;)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Do you avoid killing infestation on harvestors because natural causes might steal your points, lol...
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    yeah, I usually just kill the cyst, then chop/shoot the harvester to quarter health then move on, because I know it's dead unless a gorge swings by... I don't really get the ops issue here. statistically, you build more, on average you'll get more points for building... there's no real.way to steal other peoples building points reliably. also, you don't win the game by getting most points, or the bestk/d, you win by winning the game, and that has very little to do.with the other stuff. just be useful to your team.
    similarly, if I go gorge, and tie up the enemy team for 5 minutes, I've contributed a lot without having to get a single kill.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2013
    I never look at the points, only the k/d and whether were winning are good indicators of success.
    Points are a MUCH better indicator than k/d. Deaths don't matter. Losing a lifeform or weapon does, but a majority of deaths wont involve either. Of course there are some flaws with points as well like the ones brought up in this thread so far or extra points for things that don't deserve them like building a babbler egg as a gorge (5 points per egg!).

Actually K/D is probably the outright worst measure we have for this game. I particularly hate the server mod that forces teams based on K/D since it is almost invariably worse (more stacked) than pure random.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    EDIT: accidental post, herp-a-derp.

outright not true, points are by far least thought out system at the moment. I'd say balance for flat out kills at the moment. staying alive is overrated whereas killing more players generally means denying map presence. I could get a phenomenal kd if I don't push, but I'll generally float 1:1 to 3:1 with pushing, and harvester kills. if you balance construction and healing properly with lifeform kill and harvester kills, I'll go along with you on score. hell, make it dynamic, take kd of enemy into account, and throw up a multiplier for lifeform or weapon. so greenies net youbase points, and that 40 kill fade puts you on top of the scoreboard. then just adjust a mod to toggle scorebased random to on or off based on vote. do comm score based on res spent. and let people switch teams if they want.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I'll agree the score system is heavily flawed, but KDR is far worse and score is the only system that even tries to take into account very game-changing actions that don't necessarily involve killing enemy players. Unless you deliberately game it (and with the obvious exception of commanders) score is currently the best metric for how beneficial to a team a particular player has been overall. Again, best doesn't mean good, but if I was going to balance teams based on any currently existing data it would be score over time (ie points per hour).
    sotanaht wrote: »
    I'll agree the score system is heavily flawed, but KDR is far worse and score is the only system that even tries to take into account very game-changing actions that don't necessarily involve killing enemy players. Unless you deliberately game it (and with the obvious exception of commanders) score is currently the best metric for how beneficial to a team a particular player has been overall. Again, best doesn't mean good, but if I was going to balance teams based on any currently existing data it would be score over time (ie points per hour).

I'd agree under the caveat that they weight kills more heavily. right now gorges can outscore most of the team easily, other than a good fade. and it takes very little gamesense to bike effectively. maybe if you distribute building destruction to all lifeforms in the area... could also do this for marines I. construction. the lookout is usually contribting just as much as the hacker. but back on topic, score is meaningless, winning is everything. we'll that and having fun.
  • MarZMarZ Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162473Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will never understood this point/kill addicted generation. I play NS2 without Scoreboard. Maybe after the game i check my stats/teams´stats. If one team obviously lose at the start i look which players are the strongest( e.g. with 15 to 1 ) to remind which players should not stay in the same team next round to garanty a fair match.
    If you work in a team and sometimes sacrifice yourself for the team e.g. staying back and defending RTs, then you will get payed of win a good game/win :P
    Btw this is not CoD where only k/d ratings counts and everyone thinks he is the best....ns2 has in general a friendly community and we dont need good k/d to have fun
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    They put points into the game, that makes them important to the game. If you didn't want points to be important, they wouldn't have them in the game at all.
    you know what my favorite alien lifeform is? xenocide skulk. I've ruined a perfectly good 10 ratio and brought it to 1:1 in pursuit of a 5 man xenocide. plus it's really demoralizing. although it is nice to see 50 and 5 sometimes, that's not the important part.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Give 1 point for every:
    • 100 damage you did to players or buildings
    • 100 damage you healed, welded, or built on players or buildings

And nothing more. Simple, clean and easy to implement system to reward every player as fair as possible.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Give 1 point for every:

And nothing more. Simple, clean and easy to implement system to reward every player as fair as possible.

Except quite often you DON'T want your teammates emptying their clips into cysts, which is precisely what would happen with that scenario. "But I can get 2 points!" Great, now our sneaky phase gate isn't going to happen...

There's no perfect scoring system, but some changes to the current system would be appreciated:
    Not awarding 30 points for killing a power node (while it says +15 on screen...).
    Give points for lerk providing umbra that saves a life-form from dying?
    Give points for assists (and count assists) by default - this is enabled in a server mod at present.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I completely agree _Necro_ that would be awesomely simple and effective.

@Roobubba that issue with the people ruining a stealth attack is a non issue. It happens sometimes but that really isn't any fault of the game itself, nor even the player.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I completely agree _Necro_ that would be awesomely simple and effective.

@Roobubba that issue with the people ruining a stealth attack is a non issue. It happens sometimes but that really isn't any fault of the game itself, nor even the player.

Well it's normally the player - I agree it's unfair to pin it on the game. But usually you will have a commander giving orders, and group of marines following them, and some muppet runs up at full tilt, not having listened to what was going on or seemingly aware of how their teammates are behaving, and starts shooting everything in sight. That's definitely a fault of the player!

Simple is good, I'm all for simple, I'm just not convinced there's a really *really* simple way to effectively score this game. The complicated system we have at present isn't perfect but with some tweaks it could be a little fairer. That seems like a reasonable place to start, to me.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Give 1 point for every:

Except quite often you DON'T want your teammates emptying their clips into cysts, which is precisely what would happen with that scenario. "But I can get 2 points!" Great, now our sneaky phase gate isn't going to happen...

There's no perfect scoring system, but some changes to the current system would be appreciated:
    Not awarding 30 points for killing a power node (while it says +15 on screen...).
    Give points for lerk providing umbra that saves a life-form from dying?
    Give points for assists (and count assists) by default - this is enabled in a server mod at present.

You already get points for killing cysts and I don't believe it is the issue of failed ninja tactics.
    An assist system (like it is implemented in this mod) is nice and better than the vanilla score system. But it is not easier cleaner and fairer than awarding points for damage. Even if you would add "1 point for every 100 damage blocked with umbra".
    Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly agree that a pro rata system for damage dealt would be preferable!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Sewlek wrote: »
    the point system will be improved with the content patch
    In what ways?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Probably giving points for actions over time, rather than just completing stuff.
    Skulk biting an RT for 50 seconds currently doesn't get anything if it doesn't manage to take it down. (Though I think that a marine gets score over time for repairing it).
    And if another Skulk comes by and lands the final blow, the original Skulk doesn't get anything either.
    Also fixed by points for damage.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    As long as skulks rant given points for biting power nodes...

As much as I love my free double kill as a rine, the number of times 2 skulks stop to bite a power ode right outside the rine base when 5 of us are about tu rush their base needs to end...