Is NS2 SSD friendly?

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Just got an SSD and wondering if this game is SSD friendly.

I'm not talking about it loading faster, I'm talking about how much will it write to the drive? Does it write every time the game is played even if you're not downloading/updating mods

My ssd seems to have a lot of write life, but since I use my computer so much I don't want write to it too much. Or should I just install it to my HDD where I originally had it. I don't mind waiting a bit for maps to load

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The least of your worries with an SSD is the amount of writes. (or is that the biggest worry? are SSDs that awesome?)

The performance increases you'll see with an SSD will make it definitely worth it.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Biggest worry is writes, however I don't realistically know how much writes an SSD can take before it becomes 'unreliable' Some people say that they've gone FAR past the tested writes and everything is still stable. So that brings me some joy.

I believe SSDs will fully move over to PCI though, or at least I think that's the plan.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Modern ssd's are designed to last as long or longer than hdd's, although heavy use can shorten that with writes. By heavy use I mean at least server use. One good way to determine lifespan is look at how long the warranty is. If it is 3-5 years away you may want to upgrade then just because the new stuff will be that much better.

PCI ssd's are fast but are unable to boot an OS. They are coming out this year with the next port after sata 3 which I believe is some mix of sata and pci intellectual property. We don't need more speed though in my opinion.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yep, you don't have to worry about anything, unless your SSD is one that went out at the beginning of SSDs.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Disable Prefetch and Superfetch. That SSD is going to last longer than you'll use it, anyway, so don't worry.
    Disable Prefetch and Superfetch. That SSD is going to last longer than you'll use it, anyway, so don't worry.

I believe the samsung magician has already done this for me, however I set it to max performance mode over more reliability mode.. would have to double check.

The advertised lifetime is 150 TB of write and I think my warranty is 10 years? Guess I'll put my favorite games on my SSD and then the rest to the regular hard drive. Or if I hit the lotto I'll grab some TB SSD's!
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    james888 wrote: »
    PCI ssd's are fast but are unable to boot an OS. They are coming out this year with the next port after sata 3 which I believe is some mix of sata and pci intellectual property. We don't need more speed though in my opinion.

PCI ssd's are also expensive, but are worth it if you are in creative media. Especially as we hit the 4K revolution. The port after SATA 3 is SATA Express and is already out on some of the latest motherboards.

:)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Ya'll are silly. By the time you hit the write cap, ssds are going to be dirt cheap. Prices are already a fraction of what they were.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    SSD superstitions on forums all over. Just use it normally. You don't need to do anything special to keep it from blowing up.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Samsung makes awesome SSD's, I'm looking to pick up the 850 pro 1TB in a week or two when they get released.
    Put it on the SSD you wont be sorry.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    ezekel wrote: »
    Biggest worry is writes, however I don't realistically know how much writes an SSD can take before it becomes 'unreliable' Some people say that they've gone FAR past the tested writes and everything is still stable. So that brings me some joy.

You don't have to worry about writes on an SSD in general. Triple level cells, the worst kind, can sustain ~10 000 writes. For a modest 256 GB SSD that's ~2.5 PB of writes if the wear leveling algorithm is good. That's 700 GB of writes per day for 10 years.

SSDs have had reliability problems. These were almost entirely related to the controllers (they make sure that you don't write to the same cells repeatedly by spreading writes out etc) and drivers. Hopefully these kinds of problems are a thing of the past; but like bad capacitors they might be a recurring evil that happens every few years whenever some company designs a new controller. The result of these problems have usually been bricked drives or gradually slowing write performance, usually teething problems with new designs rather than incremental generational improvements.

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sebb wrote: »
    PCI ssd's are also expensive, but are worth it if you are in creative media. Especially as we hit the 4K revolution. The port after SATA 3 is SATA Express and is already out on some of the latest motherboards.

That's not fair. PCI-E SSD's are no more inherently expensive than regular SSDs.

If you design a custom ASIC and produce only a single chip ever; that chip will cost you at least a million dollars and much more if it's an advanced process like 22 nm or if it requires significant R&D. If you make millions of chips, the same chip can cost a dollar a pop. That's what large fixed costs do to low volume production.

If you make these PCI-E boards and sell 10 000 of them to niché applications, they will be very expensive; but that does not mean that the marginal cost of producing more of them is high; it's not.

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Just don't manually defragment the filesystem. That's it.

Not because it will kill it but because it's unnecessary. Don't worry about anything else. What you read about disabling services, moving swap files and temp file directories is not only unnecessary but also a shame since those kinds of workloads are perfect for an SSD. If you need to swap then you need to swap and you really don't want to swap to a magnetic spinning plate if you got something better. You want to use your SSD fully, not save it for future generations to put in a museum.

Windows 7 detects SSDs and will make all the adjustments automatically, like disabling automatic defrag of the drive, not prefetching when it's deemed unnecessary and so on. If the manufacturer recommends making some changes then you might as well do them, it won't make a difference (unless you also have harddrives in your system, then you forgo the those optimizations but really, just stop worrying already).

If your SSD dies it's not because it ran out of writes.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if you installed win7 or higher fresh on a SSD it has already performed all the required actions in regards to its services like prefetch.
    WIndows 7 does not allow a defrag of a ssd by its default programs, but dont use other programs to try. ( I dont know if you can force a defrag but windows7 wont schedule one)

While SSDs have wear the issue is basicly nonexistant. Other problems will arrive much sooner then your SSD breaking down due wear. (like that article linked, you should hit 35 years)
    SSDs become, for a SSD, loads and loads slower the more data they contain. So you will most likely first experience this problem when you install more and more on the ssd. (I estimate to keep 25% free space available)

To compare writes.. I as most folk have my pagefile also on my ssd, which is being written always. I still expect it to outlast any other use I have for it! I suspect mine needs replacement due to being full far sooner then any write errors)
    Also SSD come with a additional hidden size for backup reasons. So when a few cells finally do die, the SSD will use those backup cells. You shall not experience write problems due to wear until the full backup space is used.
    Also SSDs are build to use the least used cells first to prolong the life of every cell. (so technicly it writes the data to a new cell rather then rewriting the old one)
    G_Lock wrote: »
    Samsung makes awesome SSD's, I'm looking to pick up the 850 pro 1TB in a week or two when they get released.
    Put it on the SSD you wont be sorry.

That's the drive I just picked up, however the 256GB version. I wish I could have afforded the TB version so I could just use that as a main drive! I just hooked back up my old HDD and am reformatting it now for storage of other games and all that. The price of a TB SSD is quite insane.. and I really doubt it cost that much more to produce....... probably something like 3x profit from production cost

Anyway thanks for the info everyone. I've got the SSD in an intel chipset (which works well with overclocking) installed everything it needed, and used the samsung stuff to maximize performance. Even beat the advertised speeds in both read/write (but not random iops) games don't feel like they have a 'performance boost' but they do feel smoother.. as if it's never loading textures or buffering? just feels like the whole map is preloaded.. so I'll put my favorite games on the SSD and everything else to the SSD!
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @ezekel, don't forget to put an OS on the SSD xD
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    sebb wrote: »

That's not fair. PCI-E SSD's are no more inherently expensive than regular SSDs.

If you design a custom ASIC and produce only a single chip ever; that chip will cost you at least a million dollars and much more if it's an advanced process like 22 nm or if it requires significant R&D. If you make millions of chips, the same chip can cost a dollar a pop. That's what large fixed costs do to low volume production.

If you make these PCI-E boards and sell 10 000 of them to niché applications, they will be very expensive; but that does not mean that the marginal cost of producing more of them is high; it's not.

Uh what?
    Companies are still selling them for more for the same amount of storage... You can argue all you want about how the NAND is the same and R&D costs and that they are in a niche market so the economy of scale is different for both these categories, but they are still more expensive to the consumer RIGHT NOW than SATA drives.

Will they be equal in the future? Probably not, at least in the consumer space.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    No, SSDs do not go for 3x the profit.. Prices are dropping but they are still relatively close to cost.
    Few hardware for computers has high high profit margins. (except apple)

Dont fill the entire SSD as that WILL slow performance on it.
    edited July 2014
    METROID wrote: »
    @ezekel, don't forget to put an OS on the SSD xD

My os was already installed on my SSD.

I got everything working properly

OS installed on SSD in an intel chipset sata port, all drivers/software installed. AHCI/ samsung auto thingy TRIM on. Hibernation off, samsung performance automatic stuff done and the drive is aligned to 1MB or w/e

Then got my old hard drive formatted and aligned as well, and it's just a single storage drive and I've already installed mumble and some other stuff on it. Also all downloads from my browser go immediately into my storage drive instead of the SSD :) ))

Just wondering now if I should grab CC cleaner and use it 1x a year or if that's not really needed. I actually learned quite a bit from this process and it'll help me with future building for sure. I've also left all the drivers for this PC on a flash drive for easy future use. Now to save up and feel impulsive and move onto the next project
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I run ccleaner once a month or so, more just removing clutter which the program was meant for. Remember, you don't have to worry about writes.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    All this computer talk hurts my brain :-/
    james888 wrote: »
    I run ccleaner once a month or so, more just removing clutter which the program was meant for. Remember, you don't have to worry about writes.

Yeah I heard someone was able to get an SSD to write a petrabyte or something.... sounds insane.

Only thing I currently have disabled is allowing my computer to sleep..... still a bit fearful of that, but honestly shutting down and booting up is very fast that it almost feels like sleep mode so I don't really miss it.

@‌RapGod

It's quite fun, I learned a lot when I setup this SSD and then got my old hard drive as a storage disk.. and the fact that hard drives can be out of align, or in wrong/slower sata ports... and that you can tell windows (or have software) make adjustments to get extra speed out of your drive.

However I wouldn't really want to do it again since I'm a paranoid type person (getting over it slowly) and hate settings, specifically computer settings. :d
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Meh, my brother is the computer genius. I just know the ''advanced'' basics (some ppl don't know a thing). So I guess I'll wait until he gets a better CPU and I get the old parts lol.

Edit - I don't have the cash to upgrade so I rely on his leftovers :p
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm going to throw it out there to no one in particular that SSDs are the single most cost efficient way to boost performance in just about any game these days, and not just NS2. For NS2 it's mostly just going to boost load times especially now that we're precaching even more stuff than we already were, but if we've missed anything that can cause a hitch it'll certainly mitigate the issue. Lots of popular games don't precache much at all, though - lots of Blizzard games are particularly bad about this, but they're hardly the only ones.

Bottom line: buy an SSD, put your most demanding games on it. You'll thank yourself later and it's hardly a big investment now.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I'm going to throw it out there to no one in particular that SSDs are the single most cost efficient way to boost performance in just about any game these days, and not just NS2. For NS2 it's mostly just going to boost load times especially now that we're precaching even more stuff than we already were, but if we've missed anything that can cause a hitch it'll certainly mitigate the issue. Lots of popular games don't precache much at all, though - lots of Blizzard games are particularly bad about this, but they're hardly the only ones.

Bottom line: buy an SSD, put your most demanding games on it. You'll thank yourself later and it's hardly a big investment now.
    Playing Skyrim on an SSD makes you forget there are things called loading screens. Then you go to a friend's house and sit there staring at their TV for 10 minutes waiting for the console to huff and puff as it loads the world.

It seems to have made my counter-strike more smoother . I also forced the 'preload' command so it loads the entire map before connecting, I don't really feel any hitches and it always feels like the entire world is loaded and information is sent to my screen faster than before. (No framerate gain however) but I'll always take a smoother looking image.

So I believe it does benefit performance, but in a different way. My game was much less smooth with the same framerate on a 7,200 rpm hard disk. Which is still in my system and will be where most things are installed.

One day I'll be able to have a machine of entirely SSDs or whatever is out, and maybe even run them together in raid which I've never done
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    SSD's wont really improve your framerate unless your HDD is a POS and struggles to load random game data. They do exactly what you said, decrease any game buffering from loading which makes it feel smoother.
    Aye.. SSDs speedup loading and thereby smooth out a lot of stuff.
    While the best SSDs of course provide the best in general, even the less expensive SSDs will speedup things more then a HDD ever did.

if you only have SATA 300 (unofficial SATA2), then you do not 'need' to buy the more expensive SSDs as those are 'sata3' and will not hit max speed on a older rig.
    Do not that if you buy TO crap a ssd it will die faster.

For the ones who can not buy any SSD but have some money left, hybrid disks (from seagate) are a option. Those are a mix between harddisks and SSD, and if you often play the same stuff longterm in a row, you should see improvement.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ezekel wrote: »

It seems to have made my counter-strike more smoother . I also forced the 'preload' command so it loads the entire map before connecting, I don't really feel any hitches and it always feels like the entire world is loaded and information is sent to my screen faster than before. (No framerate gain however) but I'll always take a smoother looking image.

So I believe it does benefit performance, but in a different way. My game was much less smooth with the same framerate on a 7,200 rpm hard disk. Which is still in my system and will be where most things are installed.

One day I'll be able to have a machine of entirely SSDs or whatever is out, and maybe even run them together in raid which I've never done

How much space is on your SSD? Because really, there's no reason to not install programs there. It just speeds up the computer overall a lot. You should dump all the data on your HDD. Stuff you don't need often.