Concede improvement discussion.

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Any chance we could see some stats on how many games end via a concede?

I believe about 70% of the games I play end with a concede (majority early on) and find it is ruining the game. Besides the fact I've just wasted 15 minutes of my life on a game ending prematurely, there's no sense of a real victory for the winning side.

It has been made too easy for the losing team to throw in the towel with a simple vote where as before majority of the team would need to F4 to have the same affect.

Personally I find it is ruining the fun in NS2 and I generally quit playing after a concede game but thats just me.

I know this has come up a few times but I'm interested in other peoples thoughts?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Concede is fine. Maybe disable egg spawning and IP respawning on concede will help those feeling a hollow victory.
  • rein4cerein4ce Join Date: 2008-07-05 Member: 64567Members
    Yes, condede has killed the game for me.

I barely play the classic mode anymore because of that. What's the point of investing into round when it's most likely gonna end up with concede anyway? pointless.

No victory, no loss. Time wasted.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    that's why there's a vote. you don't need to concede, but you're also one voice in a team. sometimes I.wish the concede limit was five.minutes. just because you want to stomp thelast vestiges of a team, doesn't mean they should be forced to let you.
    edited April 2013
    I know it's only my opinion, but keep in mind amoral, that the losing team had entire round to do something about it. Now they're being stomped as a capital punishment for their incompetence. It should be an incentive for them to do better next round.

If they however vote to quit the round smoothly via concede, then no feelings are hurt, no one really lost and no victory has been achieved, just as if the round never happened.
  • despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    agreed on concede ruining the fun

we all had countless games where our team was doing good because of our superior play, which TAKES EFFORT

then we get to the good stuff (exos, or higher lifeforms).

boom, enemy team conceded. cool.

waste of time playing. game is less fun because of concede, fact.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Besides the fact I've just wasted 15 minutes of my life on a game ending prematurely, there's no sense of a real victory for the winning side.

Hot damn I couldn't agree more. Like when I play SC2, I will have a fun 15 min game going with some solid macro and I will get the upper hand and my opponent will have the balls to say "GG" and fucking surrender and end the game. I don't accept that and kill all his buildings after he leaves anyways just to feel good about my play and the victory. Really show him. I usually make 20 ultralisks and kill his probes with them, so damn fun.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    Without concede, people will f4. Then you are left with the auto team balance and you can't spawn for a very long time if you die. The round still drags on even though the game is clearly over. I'm not sure what a proper solution is, but I don't believe concede has killed the game. It's more the players' behavior in a losing fight. NS2 is also pretty unforgiving. If your team has a bad start you've most likely already lost.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    yeah, it's very fun to get repeteadly one shotted as a stock skulk by w3 jp shots guys, I agree
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Besides the fact I've just wasted 15 minutes of my life on a game ending prematurely, there's no sense of a real victory for the winning side.

Hot damn I couldn't agree more. Like when I play SC2, I will have a fun 15 min game going with some solid macro and I will get the upper hand and my opponent will have the balls to say "GG" and fucking surrender and end the game. I don't accept that and kill all his buildings after he leaves anyways just to feel good about my play and the victory. Really show him. I usually make 20 ultralisks and kill his probes with them, so damn fun.

When I lose in sc2 I always float my buildings to corners of the map because I know my opponent really wants to earn his victory. Conceding in ns2 is a joke guys, make sure you save up enough res to randomly drop hives in places so people run around searching for them.
    pearlyk wrote: »
    yeah, it's very fun to get repeteadly one shotted as a stock skulk by w3 jp shots guys, I agree

Ever heard of losing? What makes you think losing should be fun?

Imagine a soccer game, when 5 minutes into the game your team scores the goal, and the opponents just go "Well, we don't feel like we will win this one, let's start over"
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    rein4ce wrote: »
    pearlyk wrote: »

Imagine a soccer game, when 5 minutes into the game your team scores the goal, and the opponents just go "Well, we don't feel like we will win this one, let's start over"

Ever heard of snowballing effect?

Your example is really bad, in soccer doesn't matter if we score 1 or 10 times, we won't magically kick stuff better, we are just better than our opponents, we are playing at an even field (is that the correct expression?), we scored that many goals because we are better skilled, thats all.

In NS2, if you win all early engagements (0-5 minutes) you start snowballing (AKA becoming stronger and stronger) out of control to the point that you WILL one shot (well, kinda) your enemies without breaking a sweat.

the majority, if not ALL competitive matches ends on concede (gg calls), it's considered to be an act of good manners because everybody knows when a game is over or not.

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only problem with Concede is that it's too abrupt. There should be some free kills for the winners rather than just a sudden boot to RR. It certainly shouldn't last another agonizing 10 minutes though like the endgame does.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

What makes me think that playing a game should be fun?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    |strofix| wrote: »

I expected a response exactly like this one. Ah modern generation of gamers, instant gratification (games should be pure fun), infinite HP (hey, no one likes dying, right?), linear maps (who likes getting lost?) easy bosses (games should not be work!) and "Achievement unlocked" at every step...
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There is absolutely no reason for a team that has obviously lost to have to sit through an extra 5-15 minutes of getting completely pummeled. There is usually a significant event that occurs where both teams will know exactly the outcome of a game will be. Why can't the losers say they've lost when they've blatantly lost?

Listen to yourselves... take your victory and shut up.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    You guys will always find a reason to bitch about ANYTHING.

Pre-Concede Era:
    "This game should have a surrender option like those modded servers!"

Post-Concede Era:
    "Concede is killing the game"
    Zek wrote: »
    The only problem with Concede is that it's too abrupt. There should be some free kills for the winners rather than just a sudden boot to RR. It certainly shouldn't last another agonizing 10 minutes though like the endgame does.
    Katana- wrote: »
    there is some comic gold in this thread.

PS: Winning by concede is still winning. Don't be a poor sport, and throw a fit because you didn't get to gloat by grinding them into the dirt wasting the time of the losing team.

Winning wasn't enough? You have to drag out the game so you can get your jollies grinding the other team into the dirt? So people can quit and go to a different server as the end of the game drags out every time.

Get over yourself!

End thread.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I'm just gonna leave this here.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Concede is here to stay, and here's why: It fits the style of the NS2 community.

There are two reasons why you wouldn't want concede:
    A) You enjoy the challenge of stacked scenarios. (this is legit)
    B) You prefer shooting things for killing's sake, rather than for strategy and challenge.

OP is more like B. If a game is stacked to the point that it's impossible to win, then I don't see a point in playing any more, win or lose. Hell, even if I'm on the winning side, I'll concede to get a new game going. That's because the community cares about the part of the game that is uncertain and the strategies that will succeed or fail. If it's impossible to win, then all strategies will fail. If you had total map control, would you roll into the alien base with full upgrades and rack up the kill count? I wouldn't. There's no point in something that has no challenge, and I'd rather be playing the first five minutes of the next game. This is how the majority of the community thinks- NS2 isn't about steamrolling, it's about strategy , teamwork, and challenge.

If you like winning so much, join a newbie server and own them up.

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

I expected a response exactly like this one. Ah modern generation of gamers, instant gratification (games should be pure fun), infinite HP (hey, no one likes dying, right?), linear maps (who likes getting lost?) easy bosses (games should not be work!) and "Achievement unlocked" at every step...

I didn't expect a response like this one because its validity isn't even questionable, its non existent.

I've leveled 5 WoW characters to max level, and even after grinding through the same area on the exact same quest multiple times, it never stopped being fun.
    I've played Dota game that were clearly lost within 5 minutes of the game starting, and it never stopped being fun.

Don't delude yourself. Games aren't about providing a supreme challenge to glorious gamers from the 80s. They are about providing the illusion of a seemingly insurmountable obstacle which can ultimately be overcome. Why? Because that is the recipe for providing fun to a human.

If you think that games are about anything other than fun, then you really shouldn't expect anyone to take your suggestions seriously.

I agree however that there must be more ways for making true come-backs possible. Like in the days of NS1. Don't know why it's not possible anymore, probably it has something to do with lack of ninja-phase gates or limited building placement altogether, but then conceders would have no excuse to ever end the game prematurely.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Concede was brought in to stop the phenomenon of marines taking forever to kill off the first hive by teching up everything and dragging the game out after strangling the aliens early game, there was no way for aliens to make a come back.

Problem now is people lose the 2nd CC/hive and concede instantly, regardless of how many higher life forms are out or how close people are to getting them out, the 2-3 exos on the map might be the only exos for the next 5 mins but 9/10 people don't care and want to quit instantly.

Regardless of how many wanna be esport nerds keep typing shit up about SC2, RTS, manner and other stupid wank I hadn't heard of until SC2 came out this isn't a fucking RTS it's a hybrid at worst or a FPS with RTS elements.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    yeah, concede is killing the game, not all the rampant team stacking going on ....

remember how people use to F4 ???? With concede, you can vote for giving up whilst still playing the game, before concede, f4 was how you voted to give up. What this did was take you out of the game, it also took people from the other team out of the game because they were stuck in the spawn que due to auto team balance.

Anyway, the reason concede (used to be f4'ing) is the rule rather than the exception, is because team stacking is the rule, rather than the exception :P

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I literally choked on my morning coffee when I saw yet another thread about this on the first page. Holy moly.