Unable to download any mods (solved)

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Last night I was unable to download any mods. Steam was up, so the problem was on my end.
  • I tried different servers with different backup workshop servers.
  • I deleted my workshop folder entirely so that the mods are forced to redownload.
  • Restarted my computer.
  • Validated my steam files.
  • Subscribed to the mods on steam that could not be downloaded.

None of that worked.

Someone sent me a steam link, which when I attempted to open that up in a browser I got an odd message about NortonSafe saying it was unsafe and not letting me access it. I have never and would never install anything Norton on my computer so I was a bit confused.

After much troubleshooting I found out I had a feature on my Asus Router called AI Protection that had a setting called DNS-Filter. I had turned on the feature but left the setting on default, which happened to be NortonSafe. NortonSafe must have recently flagged Steam as "unsafe."

Turning off or changing the filter source works and allowed me to download mods. I am posting this here by Ironhorse's request because of this.
wisdom_of_the_ancients.png