Invest more time in custom maps!

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey guys.

I've been playing a lot of Reflex recently. It's my first arena fps. As I understand, it is inspired by the quake cpma mod (in case you are familiar), and it's a very niche community, not unlike NS2. Concurrent players is like 30, but keep in mind that it's mostly 1v1's.

Anyway, I think there's a lot of things, that the NS2 community can learn from the Reflex community.

Some of these afps players, have literally 10,000 hours of playtime combined in the different quake games. And some of the maps are ancient and are still being played today in reflex.

So to give you some perspective, on some of these maps, the veteran players have not just perfected how to move around, how to suppress, when and where to prefire and so on. These veteran players have learned all the spawn points on the map, and have a profound understanding of the spawn system, to the point that they will know exactly where you will spawn. Meaning, they will send a rocket at your face, before you spawn, in such a way that you will get instagibbed as you spawn.

This is a HUGE problem to starting players. Thankfully, the Reflex community are very selfaware about this.

To combat this; If you ask any veteran player about tips and tricks, they will tell you about aiming and movement yadayada, oh, and don't play on the map aerowalk..

Moreover, the map community in Reflex is remarkably active (new maps every week it seems), but more importantly, the players are enthusiastic about playing new maps, even if they aren't textured. Browsing the steamworkshop for maps, most are rated between 4 or 5 of 5. As long as the map is somewhat playable, it will be rated up.

All the tournaments in reflex, are mainly played on the new maps.

In ns2, it might not be nearly as evident that veterans have ridiculous advantages, over rookies on the old maps, as in reflex. But veterans undeniably have an advantage to some extend, from the old maps in ns2. You know all the nooks and crannys on ns2_veil, meaning a rookie will never be able to catch you off guard with a clever hiding spot. You always know which strategic area of the map you need to focus on, etc.

So I think this is a problem worth highlighting.

I'd also like to briefly put a perspective with regards to starcraft broodwar, and rts. For years, blizzard didn't really patch this game. Yet a booming competitive proleague thrived in Korea. Map makers were solving complex balance issues, by using clever map design. No need for the developers to butt in for value tweaking every other week. The balancing was taken care of, by the mappers.

Now for the sake of fairness. It's rough to put the blame on ns2's mapping community. It's MUCH easier to make maps in reflex, simply due to the engine. What I'm really trying to focus on with this post, is the players, and in particular the veteran players.

You guys need to push a lot harder to play the new maps. You need to rate them highly. Talk of them highly. Offer constructive criticisms sure, but don't shit on it. Revere the few mapmakers you have. Hope that more people get interested in mapmaking as a result.

Competitive players. Choose custom maps. Even if you think you can get an easy win by playing a familiar map against a familiar opponent. Choose the custom map. Show the viewers and fans watching on twitch, that playing custom maps is cool! It should get to the point, where playing ns2_veil or ns2_tram, is only really done in a showmatch between two top tier teams for the sake of nostalgia.

I believe, if it could be achieved, this would help a great deal with retention. It would allow rookies to play on an equal footing, map knowledge wise. And it would help keep the game fresh for the veterans.

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    I for one would be insanely happy if people started voting for the lesser played maps. Unfortunately the vets automatically write off any newer or custom map strictly because they don't know all the sight lines and ambush points.. So they always vote for the holy trinity of Tram, Summit , Veil...

In any given server the map rotation tends to go something like this..
    Tram
    Summit
    Docking
    Veil
    Tram
    Refinery
    Summit
    Veil
    Mineshaft
    Tram
    Biodome
    Summit
    Tram
    Veil

I would absolutely love to see maps like Kodiak, Derelict, Caged, Eclipse, Monorail, etc, come up more often..

Actially I would kind of like to see the trinity of Tram, Summit, Veil removed from the game entirely for a month or so..
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Maybe Biodome and Descent get some playtime but you'd be lucky to get a single Derelict game a night.

I applaud anyone who goes to the significant effort to create a custom map. The quality in NS2 of these maps is pretty fantastic. However I would never expect anyone to try to make another one. The attitude of veterans to community made maps is way too hostile.

The community is too single minded in their view on how to win the game. I've noticed that when experienced players play on Tram, Summit etc they quickly move on to the next game if they lose. In those cases it is easy for them to see what went wrong (and blame someone else for it). When they lose on a custom map they take that as sufficient justification to never play it again as, since it isn't clear how the map was lost, it is clearly the fault of the map designer.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brings me back to an old comment I made which still holds true to this day!

People are scared of change, anything that makes them feel uncomfortable will prompt a negative reaction.

I generally disregard these people because at one point these same people regarded summit, tram, veil, docking as "****" because they didn't understand the layout, ambush points, tactically advantageous choke points on the maps that warranted their praise, few years later now look at these people, they always vote for the same maps now.

Heres a scenario, imagine if ns2_derelict was one of the first maps released and tram was the latest release, people would be voting derelict instead and calling tram "****" because they don't know how to play it yet..
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Exactly!!! I've said that exact same thing many times now.. If Tram, Summit, and Veil had been released with patches 293, 294, and 295 you would never see them being played and the majority of vets would consider them unbalanced garbage maps.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think what needs to happen, is that veterans start not only advocating for custom maps, but that veterans advice rookies NOT to play veil, tram and summit. Tell them the truth; they will get smashed on these maps. Similar to how Reflex veterans advice rookies not to play the old quake maps. If you do this, hopefully, rookies will stop putting their votes on these maps and that will eventually shift the regular rotations.

It'd also be a massive step, if nsl could somehow be convinced, to remove one, some or all of these 3 maps in particular from the nsl League. Having the top tier teams play custom maps, I think, is the best way to convince the pop that custom games are cool.

You might be scared that the quality of nsl games would go Down as a result? But think of it as a longterm Investment. Yea bad games today, but better maps tomorrow, as mappers get more feedback.

A rich mapping community is a rich game!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, you guys do realize this custom maps problem is older than NS2, stretching all the way back to 2003 when the first custom maps were released for NS?

And it's not exactly constrained to this here game. The general consensus is. Popular maps stay popular regardless and new map, arguably better maps even, will have to compete against all odds. You usually end up in most game with a rotation of about 3 to 4 core maps for each game mode. Combine all of this with what @deathshroud just said about the sheer complexity of NS(2) mapping compared to other games and you've got a mixed bag of tears...
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Some of you are making quite an assumption by saying that veterans boycott less-played maps just because they are not familiar with them, instead of, say, those maps having flaws. You are blaming them for not giving new maps a chance while you, yourselves, are not giving weight to the possibility that those maps are just bad. I'm not here to say which way the truth is, but you are just standing at the opposite extreme of the debate, taking for granted that everything new must be good.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Dont we have enough maps already?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    @Kouji_San what difference does it make that the problem is old? What have you realistically tried all this time, in order to combat the problem? What have the other Communities, in which ever games you were refering to, done to combat the problem?

Reflex, although it's a miniscule community even compared to NS2, effectively solved this problem, in spite of the baggage all the way from quake, which was released in the 90's (so effectively even older than ns2). Starcraft, as I mentioned, largely solved this problem as well. And although I'm not a huge WC3 player, I understand that even that game is getting new competitive maps even today. Maybe the NS2 community is too large to produce a similar outcome, but there's only really one way to find out for sure right?

If anything, the point that it's an old problem, should motivate you more in this case. Because as time goes on, the gap between rookie and veteran increases, wrt. map knowledge, unless you do something about it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    Oh I dunno, map promotions, map packs, map reviews, map videos... Custom map days on servers, not very popular at all, usually a few rounds and then the server empties... And of course the few times UWE promoted custom maps etc...

@SantaClaws I think the problem is not the problem you're looking to solve, it is a gamer's mind issue not a map issue. People just do not like to play on custom maps in general after they've settled on certain maps and newbies tend to flock to what is being played (full servers). For new maps this is probably because we have to relearn everything on how the map flows/works. This is issue is exponentially larger in NS(2) due to the "complexity" of the maps. I guess you can chalk it up to "we play what we want and know", no amount of promotion is going to tear them away from their precious ;)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Here's a list of things that have ruined mappers ability to balance a map:
    1. Cysts, and all that comes with them
    2. Pathing, were drifters and macs worth it? Goodbye amazing ns_hera processing fights
    3. Engine Height limitation, goodbye Bast
    4. Variable spawns, marine starts give maps direction! balancing for multiple spawns makes an opening for people to complain about balance
    5. Powernodes, i don't think they affect mapping.. but wtf is up with them
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    NovoRei wrote: »

Yes, but no one plays them.
    Frozen wrote: »
    2. Pathing, were drifters and macs worth it? Goodbye amazing ns_hera processing fights
    4. Variable spawns, marine starts give maps direction! balancing for multiple spawns makes an opening for people to complain about balance

I play with most of the "ns2 mapping scene" if you want to call it like that and nobody ever complains about this* - the only thing in your list that has any reason to be there is variable spawns, and we have been able to override those for over a year now, I think.
    Also why are power nodes on your list if you don't think they affect mapping?

*Yes troop complains about cysts all the time but that's beside the point
    edited April 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Oh I dunno, map promotions, map packs, map reviews, map videos... Custom map days on servers, not very popular at all, usually a few rounds and then the server empties... And of course the few times UWE promoted custom maps etc...
    To be clear, I asked that question, because you hadn't specified what game you were talking about. I wasn't dismissing it like nobody had tackled the problem ever. If you had named a game, maybe I could have connected the dots better.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    @SantaClaws I think the problem is not the problem you're looking to solve, it is a gamer's mind issue not a map issue. People just do not like to play on custom maps in general after they've settled on certain maps and newbies tend to flock to what is being played (full servers). For new maps this is probably because we have to relearn everything on how the map flows/works. This is issue is exponentially larger in NS(2) due to the "complexity" of the maps. I guess you can chalk it up to "we play what we want and know", no amount of promotion is going to tear them away from their precious ;)

That is exactly the problem I was highlighting. I think you've misunderstood my position. I'm precisely trying to change the players mind. This problem is NOT for the mapmaking community to solve, and it's not for the devs to solve either, it's for the players to solve. I am NOT advocating artificially promoting of maps.

I'm advocating a sort of "kammeratopdragelse" to introduce a Danish term because I don't know the equivalent English Word. Google translate calls it "Comrade parenting". Basically what I'm talking about, is socially Engineering the playerbase to change their mindset, so they want to play more custom maps. Not through any Means, other than Word of mouth really.

We don't need to point to a map and say Play this!! All we need to say is: Rookies, DON'T play this map. Play what ever else you like.

And of course, I'm not saying remove these maps. Just advice players, in a friendly manor, don't vote for these maps.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2016

ns2_forge is a good example of the engine height limitation being false. It has a wide range of different room heights
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NovoRei wrote: »

Yes, but no one plays them.

I play with most of the "ns2 mapping scene" if you want to call it like that and nobody ever complains about this* - the only thing in your list that has any reason to be there is variable spawns, and we have been able to override those for over a year now, I think.
    Also why are power nodes on your list if you don't think they affect mapping?

*Yes troop complains about cysts all the time but that's beside the point

The different spawns are no argument either because you can make fixed spawns if you want to as a mapper and many maps use them.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    I kind of hate tech points, but kinda like em to. I wish we had the freedom to place hives and cc anywhere like in ns1, but the tech points limit the amount of "cheese" that can occur i guess, like placing hives in vents etc..
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members

I think certain movement stuff affects map design too. For example NS1 Veil is very clean whereas NS2 veil needed all kinds of additional boxes and such all over the place. At least part of it has to do with walljump requiring a starting point, not sure about the rest.

Reflex also has extremely flexible and fluent movement. It helps the mappers quite a bit, I think. The more viable options the players have for approaching the map, the more the gameplay sorts itself out to some extend and the less the mapper has to get involved in fine tuning specific locations.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If a custom map is even remotely balanced to play on, I will play on it.

For the folk who wonder what i mean by that, yes.. kodiak is in the remotely balanced area in terms of this comment. :)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If a custom map is even remotely balanced to play on, I will play on it.

For the folk who wonder what i mean by that, yes.. kodiak is in the remotely balanced area in terms of this comment. :)

That is the problem. When people only play maps that are balanced, how can a new map leave the early stage of unbalance? If nobody plays it, it can not evolve.

@deathshroud : I can't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to drop CCs everywhere you want, but dropping Hives everywhere you want would basically mean that aliens can get third Hive up by only holding their starting room.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a competitive player, there are very good custom maps, ns2_jambi, ns2_mineral. The problem is so many players in pubs don't know them or don't attempt to learn them and refuse to learn them. Jambi is one of the most played competitive map if not the most. Ever time i see it in pubs i vote to play it but often many complain about the map being bad simply because they don't know how to play it and refuse to learn. They then refuse to play, leave the server or instantly change the map.

Another issue is that many of the custom maps simply aren't great due to countless issues. Many are balanced for 9v9 or 21v21 and 6v6 can be really difficu
    Howser wrote: »
    ultimately you cannot reinvent the wagon wheel
    Then don't. New custom maps can be fresh and interesting without going against established map design theory.

On the micro level, to the field players, what matters is how each room is layed out. During or up to a fight, you don't care if the macro map is wagon wheel shaped or not. You care where all the nooks and crannys are in the room you're about to engage. There's plenty of freedom there for mappers to express their creativity.

In Starcraft, there's very strict guidelines as well for map making. The distance between expansions i.e. can't really be messed much with. If it's too far, zerg won't be able to defend their expansions, if it's too close, it's arguably too easy. There has to be a certain choke point near your natural, otherwise protoss can't wall off, etc.

But evidentally, mappers still manage to express their creativity in starcraft, in the areas where they do have some freedom.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited April 2016
    It's simply because in NS2 maps have more details and more replay potential due to every round being a bit different since its not just a frag game. Not to mention, no one has 10000hours playtime in NS2.
    Reflex looks awesome though, just not comparable, theres more maps per player also because of the ingame editor simpler to use and the map being smaller.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
      [*] Cysts, and all that comes with them
      [*] Pathing, were drifters and macs worth it?
      Goodbye amazing ns_hera processing fights
      [*] Engine Height limitation, goodbye Bast
      [*] Variable spawns, marine starts give maps direction! balancing for multiple spawns makes an opening for people to complain about balance
      [*] Powernodes, i don't think they affect mapping.. but wtf is up with them

This is key. To say nothing of new maps, it would have been much easier to adapt ns1 maps into ns2 if mappers didn't have to rebalance for this.
    1. HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
      migalski wrote: »
      As a competitive player, there are very good custom maps, ns2_jambi, ns2_mineral.
      At least there are 2 custom maps, but that's still too few. And to be honest, I only like jambi and mineral in 6v6 comp because they are verry balanced, I don't realy like them on pub servers. Also I didn't liked them before I played comp because they are not looking very good.
    2. Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
      edited April 2016
      Aeglos wrote: »
        [*] Cysts, and all that comes with them
        [*] Pathing, were drifters and macs worth it?
        Goodbye amazing ns_hera processing fights
        [*] Engine Height limitation, goodbye Bast
        [*] Variable spawns, marine starts give maps direction! balancing for multiple spawns makes an opening for people to complain about balance
        [*] Powernodes, i don't think they affect mapping.. but wtf is up with them

This is key. To say nothing of new maps, it would have been much easier to adapt ns1 maps into ns2 if mappers didn't have to rebalance for this.

True and to add to that, techpoint rooms also have to be designed for both aliens and marines, which severely limits the way they are designed, dare I say impossible to properly balance. Every Techpoint room has either an advantage for aliens or marines.

->No more vents in Alien techpoints, this would be better if we had dynamic entities to change certain things in a room if either team spawns there though...

Brings me to another point... Entities, like non of them besides that "extra entities mod", custom map + mod on server, good luck :D
      1. migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
        Hoeloe wrote: »
        migalski wrote: »
        As a competitive player, there are very good custom maps, ns2_jambi, ns2_mineral.
        At least there are 2 custom maps, but that's still too few. And to be honest, I only like jambi and mineral in 6v6 comp because they are verry balanced, I don't realy like them on pub servers. Also I didn't liked them before I played comp because they are not looking very good.

I mean there's also ns2_nexus which is considered balanced and a very good map but its not played as often. Ns2_docking2 was added to the map pool and is currently being worked on but has many issues still.

A huge problem is that competitive maps are balanced around 6v6 and this isn't what you see in pubs.

Map making can take a very long time, especially if you want to make a good map and many of the maps that become balanced are a result of multiple iterations with feedback from players. Many competitive players who know how the game generally flows give input. With maps for pubs, many may give feedback on how to balance maps but don't necessarily know how the game flows. This can lead to badly balanced maps and very few individuals want to play those.

There are also countless maps that weren't even attempted to be balanced that also lead to poor game play. I've tried many times to help map makers for pubs with suggestions on improving maps but was often ignored or shutdown by other pubbers who insisted the maps were good.