Reset option for hive skill

Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
Is it possible to reset my hive skill?

I don't have the best K/D (when that was showing on hive stats) but I generally win most of the rounds I play, especially when commanding. However my stats go back from when i first started, and i didn't win as much back then.

Ideally I would prefer if it only counts the last 200 hours of gameplay instead of total gameplay. It would therefore reflect a person current skill level.

If that's not possible I wouldn't mind if my hive skill started from 0 again (or the minimum ammount so that I can continue to command).

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Option to manually reset hive stats would be a bad idea. But I guess it does make sense to limit the data to the most recent x amount of hours on default?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    With Hive 2.0 coming up, maybe a global reset of stats would be a good idea? There is so much mis-information in the current stats system, that it would benefit from a new system and a new start.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Option to manually reset hive stats would be a bad idea.

This can't be emphasized enough.. A reset stats button would basically do nothing but help people stack... It would allow high skill players to reset their stats in order for shuffle to stick them with other high skill players.

Tired of having to carry your team? Just reset your stats so you're a 0 again!!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    Thinking about this some more, I think it makes more sense to deprecate all data more than 12 months old (figure negotiable obv.) - instead of making it dependent on each individual players time-played.

Your skill can vary a lot in 12 months, both positively and negatively. So to judge a player based on data older than this, might cause inaccuracies. And even things like K/D would probably be more 'accurate' and interesting if it wasn't influenced by your own early newcomer incompetence.

You could make it so every 6 months or what ever, hive automatically removes data >12 months old, so in practice you could have up to 18 month old data.

If that means that a veteran with 10,000 hours, will wake up one day with a hive score of 0. So be it. That's what happens if you're inactive in csgo and starcraft as well. And it's probably more accurate, than if he wakes up, not having played for 18 months, but has a hive score of 4500.

Just to be clear, I don't mean things like levels or hours played should be deleted. Only things like win rate, k/d, and hive score.

EDIT: It might cause a little bit of deflation in hive score tho. So thinking about it even more, it might require a great deal more planning. :p
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    I've head people saying that StarCraft2 has a 'MMR decay': if you don't play often then your MMR decreases by itself.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    words

I like the idea of depreciating hive score. I would think cutting it by 50% over 6 or 12 months might be a good rate. I don't think it should go to 0 because when you comeback you are likely to learn a lot quicker.

As a similar subject, hive scores do need to be adjusted.

unknown.png
    This histogram is from players who had played since January 1st, to February 12th. It is recent and relevant data that does reflect what the distribution of skill is in ns2. Ns2 has a lot of of rookies and a lot of returning players coming back at 1000 hive skill because of the reset. This causes sever issues for trying to shuffle teams since we basically have two groups that will likely never play enough to ever converge.

This is not depreciation over time, but it is still a reduction in hive skill. Given this problem Moultano, creator of hive skill system, suggested using a formula like this to adjust hive scores.

He initially suggested this formula:
    new_skill = old_skill * playtime / (playtime + 10.66 hours)

Adjusting hive skill by that formula makes the skill distribution look like this.
    TKnIH8O.png

The value 10.66 was chosen because it maximized the correlation between the new skill value and the log(kdr).
    w0ebOPD.png

As an example, I have a hive score of 1869 right now with 403 hours playtime. My hive skill would be 1820 after that adjustment.
    NovoRei has a hive skill of 5032 right now with 602 hours of playtime. His hive score would be 4944 after that adjustment. It would still be the highest regardless if his hive skill represents his actual skill.
    This returning player who has 990 hive skill would drop to 234 hive skill.

People who have a lot of time recorded in hive will be mostly uneffected, but those with little time could drop significantly. This would make the hive skill value of returning players much more representative.

So in short, I don't know for a fact but it is likely that hive skills could be adjusted in the future.

Edit:
    @SantaClaws and @SupaFred I made some edits you might be very interested in looking at. @dePARA is interested in this subject.