My Marine change ideas

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
edited November 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Okay, I have lots of Ideas for changes/additions to NS2 so I have seperated them into 2 threads… one for Marines (this one) and one for Aliens (found here: forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139568/my-alien-change-ideas?new=1)

These are just ideas of course, there would be pros and cons to everything i’ve written, I just want to get my ideas out there to allow the NS2Dev team to see them and hopefully add a little to their future NS2 plans.

Commander stuff

Misc -

UI is altered to show marine health etc as it does in spectate.
It is possible to highlight a marine and click the med icon (or use the shortcut) instead of “dropping” the medpack on the marine himself.
Medpack cost increase to 2 tres, add 0.2 second cooldown on marine.
Nano shield no longer reduces damage incoming, instead it provides a shield that absorbs 50 damage. Costs 5 Tres, 3 second cooldown on marine
Can no longer buy weapons etc for marines

Arms lab changes - 20 Tres

No passive upgrades
Added movement speed increase (5% per level, 3 levels)
Reload speed increase (1 time buy, increases reload speed by 15%)
Armour unlocks (light (50 armour - no slow), medium (75 armour - 10% slow, can be countered by move speed increase), heavy (120 armour 10% slow, cannot be countered by move speed increase))

Protolab changes - 20 Tres

Armoury required (not AA)
Research weapon tech (level 1 SG, 2 GL & FT (AA required to buy), 3 HMG (AA required to buy))
Research Exo tech (can be built via robo factory)
Research JP

Armoury - 10 Tres

No longer sells weapons.
Grenades & mines researchable
Sells JPs

Robo Factory/Arc Factory - 10 Tres (another 10 to upgrade to arc factory)

Builds Exos (always dual, 100 Tres, takes 1 ½ minutes to build)
Allows sentries (360 area of effect, 2 per room, no battery needed)
Research Nanotech (passive that gradually welds armour on marines/exos, costs 30 Tres)
Obs tech (Allows marines to place smaller Observatorys on the field, these obs have 20% total health of the usual obs and will only show aliens in 60% of the radius, 1 placeable at a time per marine, costs 3 pres, autobuilds)

Observatory - 10 Tres

Observatory can now be turned into a Cloak Generator. Loses all obs abilities (note, marine placed obs cannot do this) Only cloaks structures.
Beacon button moved to command chair, 1 obs can beacon to any comm chair.

Comm Chair - 15 Tres

Added beacon button
Nanoshield tech altered (nanoshield is available from the very beginning, This now reduces the cost to 4 Tres and increases the shield to 75 damage)

Marine changes

Add buy menu, similar to NS2: combat, allowing marine to choose weapon/armour.

Flamethrower:

- attachment for LMG
- will replace rifle bash as secondary firemode (not usable while reloading)

basically the flamethrower tries to be good at PvP but is not as good as the GL and at the same time it is not that much better than the LMG. The flamethrower atm has the problem that equipping it brings more negatives (lack in PvP effectiveness) than positives (semi decent PvE effectiveness). With having it as attachment to an LMG the only drawback is the 10 pres cost and the research cost. It would require that the damage is nerfed a small amount to counter FT being OP as hell after the change.

Exos:

basically I thought about having a PvP and a PvE exo. No idea if this will work out but worth a try in my opinion

railgun exo:

I have 2 ideas for the railgun exo.

Railgun exos would be the PvE exos, they would no longer fire a burst shot like it does now, but something more like how arcs currently work, you would need line of sight (obs scan wouldn’t be counted as LoS)... the attack would do damage to alien lifeforms but only a low amount, and the AoE splash would be reduced in comparison to arcs also.
Replace them with Grenade Launcher Exos.

minigun exo:

Currently minigun exos are great in PvP, but they are too strong in PvE, so their structure damage needs to be reduced.

Other:

Grenades should be research only (potentially by grenade type) and once researched marines can spawn with 1 grenade (which you can set which grenade you want during spawn via the buy menu mentioned above)

Side notes of things i’d like to see

More tech paths or research opportunities such as -

1. Gravity boots so marines can walk on walls/ceilings
2. Engineering research to increase marines build/repair speeds
3. New weapon types, SMG / Cannon / revolver pistol
4. Thermal goggles to replace flashlight

There are of course many more things that can be done, but I think this thread is already long enough :)

*** EDIT ***
Mephilles wrote: »
- would weapon upgrades be tied to pres here? like having 4 different LMGs (that needs to be researched) which are basically equal to weapon lvl 1 LMG lvl 2 LMG etc (same for other weapons that are influenced by current weapon upgrades)

There would be no replicas of the same weapon... just multiple different weapons... each dependant on personal preference and each having their own strengths and weaknesses... to balance the lack of "passive weapon upgrades" alien health would no longer scale with biomass, they would have fixed health regardless of biomass.

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    - would weapon upgrades be tied to pres here? like having 4 different LMGs (that needs to be researched) which are basically equal to weapon lvl 1 LMG lvl 2 LMG etc (same for other weapons that are influenced by current weapon upgrades)
    - I don't like the changes to the observatory at all and beacon should stay at obs aswell
    - I don't want marines to be able to place buildings without the commander dropping blueprints same as I don't ever want autobuilding structures on marines
    - Gravity boots? Walking on ceilings and walls should be a thing that only skulks can do imo
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2015

Sorry I didn't go as indepth here as I thought I did... I'll edit the post and clarify a few things in a moment.
    - I don't like the changes to the observatory at all and beacon should stay at obs aswell

If you look at the obs changes, it only requires one obs to be able to beacon to any command chair... so the button is required in the chair otherwise there would be no way to distinguish which chair you wanted to beacon to.
    I understand that not everyone will agree with that, and that is fine, I'm just giving out ideas to possibly stimulate discussion or give people things to think about for the future of NS2.
    - I don't want marines to be able to place buildings without the commander dropping blueprints same as I don't ever want autobuilding structures on marines
    - Gravity boots? Walking on ceilings and walls should be a thing that only skulks can do imo

Gravity boots - "These are just ideas of course, there would be pros and cons to everything i’ve written, I just want to get my ideas out there to allow the NS2Dev team to see them and hopefully add a little to their future NS2 plans." <--- that is at the top of this post... These were an example along with the other 3 I provided and shouldn't be taken as "these should be in the game" more as "something like this to mix things up"

Marines placing things - Why not? the amount of times I hear people in pub servers ask for observatorys or armourys and complain the comm isn't dropping them... but the comm is medding an engagement elsewhere on the field... let them place a temporary version of what they want at the cost of Pres... the commander dropped variants will be superior anyway.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    btw I really like the ideas of thermal goggles (and maybe throwable torchlights) if the aliens get a way of infesting a broken power node disabling the emergency lights
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Thermal goggles should be bought and more completly dark when the power goes of
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Don't forget to check out and give feedback on my alien change ideas linked at the top of this post guys! :)