Community Focused Development - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageCommunity Focused Development - Natural Selection 2

Ed. Note: The context for this article can be found in the post “Let’s try something new.” My name is Ghoul. You may have heard of me. This is my first...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Can we finally get access to working assets like player models?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    nizb0ag wrote: »

The player models DO work. Those are the same models that were used when the build machine was switched over.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    nizb0ag wrote: »

The player models DO work. Those are the same models that were used when the build machine was switched over.

Well if they do work, would you mind on showing us all how they're compiling with broken animation tags, missing .max files and other things like that? as the CDT said at the time was "UWE won't allow us to release updated or straight from your mouth
    Hey man, bad news. Word came down from the top that we can't give out assets anymore
    you're not the only one who've i have asked for working assets and i get the reply "i can't release these, but if you ask i can release one at a time?" and i wonder to myself, why the fuck do i have to go through all the trouble of adding to friends list on steam, or private messaging on the forums begging for working assets when UWE themselves released all the assets and touted NS2 as the "most moddable game ever" they even asked the community to create new content, problem is the community can't create too many assets at a fast enough pace to begin with due to these assets not working.
    I asked for working skulk/male assets, and i am curious that you say those are the same models you used on the build machine because the last time those assets were updated was when the grenade was implemented if i am not mistaken which was far earlier then the CDT's new build machine, i know nothing has changed so why the descrepency between build_compile and .material files and builder.exe if they "work" please save me.

The player models don't work due to broken model timings(missing tags, renamed tags), missing .max files and or they're not compiling without errors, even if you put hack-job type in for male model it just refuses to compile because tags have been renamed, even after fixing the naming issue it gives other errors.

That or we're all doing it wrong (4 people who make mods for the community for mods such as siege, or overhaul) there's not enough transparency or documentation around for these things, we don't need long posts/videos, just straightforward in and out on how to import dynamic models, just things like how to get a model that is fully animated in 3dsmax into spark without spitting out errors or playing animations, things like animation_graph seems a little bit out there because sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, even editing FPS seems a little atrocious at times.

I am not saying you're wrong or you did something bad BeigeAlert, i am just saying when you were part of the CDT you were most helpful where possible, but specific people liked to be greedy and still are to most extents or they come off as really rude and condescending for people wanting to learn.

most imports won't even work in NS2 after importing to max > dae etc due to errors.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    You have to understand that there's almost 300gb of source files for this game, releasing them all is not feasible. And I would give them to you if I could, but even then the player model source is around 20gb. Also releasing these assets fully allows other people to steal them and use them for other purposes/games (this actually has happened). Saying that they don't work though is wrong, just what is given is missing a lot. I can say that the models all do work, as I have access to all of them. Once you figure out how to work with source assets in NS2 it's actually rather easy. I'm sorry, there's not much I, or anyone on the CDT can do for you. I've tried before to setup a method of requesting source assets before, but they were denied.
    edited November 2015
    you're already giving people access to most of the mesh and max models anyway, if someone wanted to steal the models there's really nothing stopping them, that and openly there's tools around for those types of things? i mean in orion preludes case well... yeah? armory thieves!

And hugh our resident dingo and maybe even UWE wonder why the game doesn't have enough asset creation from the community from earlier builds till now.

Yeah okay, you know scrap that forget what i said... I can see why people decide they're going to steal content(sorry ghoul) since it's almost easier then asking behind closed doors considering all things. And i really appreciate things you've done but never have i ever found a good reason to make friendly with some if not most of you guys because either you act like a pompous assholes in game (when you do play, which is hardly ever on public servers) or you're condescending to the point where i myself and many others ask the question should i even be reporting bugs, creating anything at all or in the slightest helping out other modders? People wanting to learn and here i am glad once again that UWE is in control because they're not egotistical maniacs. (i know this wasn't CDT's job but you all answered our questions the best you could)

I don't like you for multiple reasons and that should be kept to private chat for the most part. but hear me out especially when you're defending the type of people kill these types of communities for a little bit of fame and pretend like they've quote from what someone said on steam workshop "had a hand in the creation of NS as a whole" This is like when Xao from AusNS decided he knew everyone because he read there profiles, went along and dox'd everyone who was relevant in threads, problem was everyone that mattered on servers and in the community realized that he was just a troll, he was toxic even.

Now i am not saying anything directly here but if you want NS2 to live on just like NS did till 2012/2013 then you need to take heed from people who played it for all those years and supported UWE through that period. We're not not people who pretend like they've "had a hand in the creation of NS as a whole" you know what i am talking about.

ps:Unless explicitly stated from UWE or the original content creators, you cannot apply a second copyright to a work, asset, art, map, mod or anything under the pretense "I had a hand in the creation of NS as a whole" "this is my work" funny thing was it wasn't his work. So you decided to delete my post, his posts but leave his copyright statements up that triggered me? funny how you're admining even leaks your nature, if anything if you can't enforce that one simple rule then do not enforce it at all, you either remove his work saying it infringes on copyright or you leave it and don't care.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I can't figure out why you need the source assets to make new content for the game. What is it you're trying to do? :/
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    @nizb0ag: I know you are not the only one who would like to have more access to the model source files. I will ask if it's possible to share them with the community via a public FTP server or any other similar service.

As @SamusDroid mentioned the CDT asked about this matter before and never got a clear answer. And we are legally not allowed to share those source files with you due to our NDAs / contracts which cover all internal materials.

So I'll see what I can do and come back to you when i got an answer by the people in charge of these kind of things.

Edit: Also @BeigeAlert is working on tools which might make access to the source file redundant in the future.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    But we are still in progress of setting up and haven’t got time to talk as team since the announcement to decide on all those why’s, what’s and how’s yet.

I assure you that as soon as we have settled on all the details you will be the first to know.
    This. Here. You're excluding the community again.
    Look at the bloody title of your thread. Look at it.

I am fully aware that this new release cycle has to be established without driving the Natural Selection 2 server admin and players crazy.

Although I believe together we will find a solution.

I'm positive the server ops that are left can handle -much- more than this. They survived us. If not, there's automation.

As for the players the solution has already been laid out:
    If you give the players something in return for them being lab-ratted around a bit, the overall impression would be positive.

Make the best automatic bug reporter the world has seen. You release stuff and get the issues right on your desk. @Ironhorse knows my thoughts about this.

@Kouji_San can make a short animation that shows while the reporter collects and uploads data. It will be a gorge panicking about an explosion, the gorge will try to plug the holes it left with clogs, and eventually succeed.

As for the server side of this, well, there's us.
    We are a bug magnet.
    We are ready to provide you with immediate uploads of dumps and logs to a FTP for example. Or anything else, like extended log formats?
    Heck if Wooz hosts it, I'll configure a proper FTP for everyone to use. Use. The. Community. Assets.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2015
    If you want some feedback, im looking forward to an intelligent skil meassuring system, that will create the opportunity for old and new people to have some fair matches.

Longer term i would like to see some new maps and easier modding tools.

Also and i gotta say this before im gonna be vanishing again: What about Mendasp? He wrote NS2+ and UWE just said sorry, we forgot to talk to you. What situation is this if everyone runs NS2+ on their server? But they allow combat to be its own game, instead to add some more modes to the game like last man standing or gorge races. And the funny part is: The code was already there, no?

Anyway these are some of the things i would try and change. Now of course i have no idea what that means financially, but i dont doubt that it is gonna be possible somehow.

Until then, aswell as cheers and thanks for all the good games. Bye.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    As a server admin I am actually quite happy with 'only' monthly updates. Keep the faster patches for serious bugs and exploits.
    I really do not feel like updating all the servers weekly because the game has a new shiny somewhere.

that said, im curious what the future shall bring. :)
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    edited November 2015
    - Input lag needs to be reduced to at least CS:GO levels. NS is a twitch game and Spark is too laggy today.
    - Need more airstrafe and back to more Quake like movement.
    - Need Source-like engine performance.
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    As a server admin I am actually quite happy with 'only' monthly updates. Keep the faster patches for serious bugs and exploits.
    I really do not feel like updating all the servers weekly because the game has a new shiny somewhere.

that said, im curious what the future shall bring. :)

I disagree.

Many games - such as Ark & Unturned release two kinds of updates, one which is compatible with the current version and is optional, one which is mandatory due to incompatibilities or major issues. Having updates for the server, which fix various bugs frequently is much better than waiting a month or a few for the next major release.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I'll play your game when I can see Steam Profiles.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @NoM What are you talking about? If have no trouble having bug fixes out as fast as possible. I was more talking about that there is no point rushing new content.
    You also underestimate how much work a update can potentially be.

* Is a core value in ns2 itself being introduced & does this require a config change. (This would require me to update over 20 server configs and that number is slowly still going up.)
    * Is it gona break a mod? This requires testing and looking at log files. Which means starting and stopping servers a few times, as a in use log can not be read. Even if its a few minutes per server, it will add up. I would have to check 8 of them for this, not counting gamemod servers like faded.
    * Do we have manpower to update it when its going out? Just pressing update, or worse have it autoupdate and autostart, will be great... unless something breaks. I settle for nothing except excellence. No ns2 admin should ever run a server which may be doing unexpected stuff because a mod broke somewhere. It needs to be checked.

I have no desire to manually update ns2 weekly. You have any idea how much time it would take? Im just glad that the CDT mails out information before hand so server admins can already prepare a bit.

And yes I know there are plenty ns2 admins who do not read logs that often. Or who just update and go. Im not one of those. I read logs, I make sure it runs, I report oddities. And I strongly hope most other ns2 admins are doing exactly the same.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 stands to create new and significant value for its stakeholders by releasing far more often than before. As the maintainer of a large mod's active codebase, a community manager, and a server owner, I don't want to ask them to slow down just because my workflow isn't agile enough to keep up. Accepting they'll work hard to avoid egregiously negligent breaking changes, I want to figure out how to adapt my processes if they effectively shorten their development cycles.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I understand that it can be frustrating for devs to make something and then delay it's release. I also believe that there is a reasonable middle ground somewhere between possible everyday updates and every month update (i.e. once/twice a week). Unless you're able to do auto-updates for both server and players, without breaking too much the mods :/.