Authentication Failed

Nightleaf475Nightleaf475 United States Join Date: 2013-12-29 Member: 191036Members
edited November 2015 in Technical Support
Hey,

NS2 is giving the error "Authentication failed. If other multiplayer Steam games do not work either, then Steam could be down, or your firewall is blocking it."

Windows firewall is off, port 8766 is unblocked.
I have AVG antivirus running, however NS2 is on the exceptions list.
I have tried running with mods, and without - same issue.
I can play other multiplayer games on steam, I'm not VAC banned.

Tech support file is attached.

Issue resolved, more or less the local server on my machine was blocking the steam connection.

Comments

• zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Means you are stuck on the server. Usually I get rid of it by restarting NS2, Steam or computer.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    Welcome to the NS2 tech support.

I'm sorry for these circumstances. Did you already try to run the ns2.exe as administrator? Some AVG users reported that this solved their issue.

If that doesn't help please open the console with the key above tab and next to 1 and type in verbose 3 and retry the steps that cause the issue. After that rerun the TechSupport.exe and share the newly generated zip file with us.

Do you try to play the tutorial?
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    [ 19.721] ServerUpdate : Error: Steam game server not logged on, can't authenticate player
    while connecting to localhost
  • Nightleaf475Nightleaf475 United States Join Date: 2013-12-29 Member: 191036Members
    @GhoulofGSG9 Running as administrator produces the same result, new tech support file attached. Joining a server forces me to do the tutorial over again before I can join a real server, its been a few months since I last played.

@Zolja I've restarted the game, steam, my computer, and reinstalled (following the nuke guide).