Fatal Error

Ehlek70Ehlek70 Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198446Members
Since Build 277 was updated, the "fatal error - failed to allocate ######## bytes..." starts after I played 10-30 mins.
Here is my .zip file

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    NS2 was not really designed to work with the Intel HD iGPUs . Try to lower the Texture Handling setting to 512 MB and see if that helps.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    @Ehlek70 I've been getting this problem also since the 277 build. Link to my thread found here
  • Ehlek70Ehlek70 Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198446Members
    But before the update I could play it every day. I didn't have the problems before.

Hmm... I tried it but it failed again.

Hmmm...Then I have to upgrade my pc...

Thanks for the answer :/
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    Ehlek70 wrote: »
    But before the update I could play it every day. I didn't have the problems before.

Hmm... I tried it but it failed again.

Hmmm...Then I have to upgrade my pc...

Thanks for the answer :/

Do you really experience this issue since the Halloween update (build 277) or was it happening already before that?
    Since build 277. But I would try it to do the same thing what IronHorse wrote to Legend_Boss in the other thread.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Please make another techsupport zip file - but this time run the techsupport.exe when NS2 is still open and crashed. (you may have to alt tab or create a desktop shortcut to the exe first to make it easier)
    It should create a very large zip file this time, with a dump folder in it for us to look at.

Upload it somewhere online and link it to us here in this thread.
    Thanks
    Here is a 2. file. I think the first file don't have the dumb. But this one is should has it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    Damn, neither one of them has a dump included.
    If you REALLY want to get a dump for sure you can:

Navigate to your 32bit task manager which is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe. (Pressing CTRL + Alt + DEL will only open the 64 bit task manager for you!)
    Right click NS2.exe > create dump file
    Then compress it / zip it and upload somewhere online.

Sorry the techsupport app did not capture it, but the good news is everyone who is experiencing / reporting this has the same exact file size failing, so it narrows it down a bit (except when you consider a texture can be whatever size it wants supposedly) and thus we are hunting this down. If it doesn't get fixed in time for the next patch we might hopefully be able to include better debugging information to make it easier to hunt down the culprit in the next patch or hotfix.

Thanks for the effort in collecting the data!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Perhaps full dumps would help for this @Ironhorse?
    Of course this means they would have to upload the 1.5ish GB files somewhere. (if you zip the file its roughly half the size, people.)

But how to make that dump? Thankfully, due to another (reported) bug I had the chance to figure that out.

* Grab a download of 'procdump' over here. Its a MS program.
    * Place it somewhere, so extract the programs zipfile. Then create batch/cmd file with the following command. Note to CHANGE the paths where needed.
    C:\LOCATION_OF_PROCDUMP\procdump.exe -ma -e ns2.exe C:\FolderWhereDMPGoes
    Notice you do not need to specify ns2.exe's full path. The dmp folder does NOT end in a "\".
    * Start NS2. You do not yet need to be connected to a server.
    * Start the script/procmon. It should give a summary of the things procmon is now monitoring & saying something like "Press CTRL-C to end monitoring without terminating the process."
    Obviously if you DO want to stop monitoring, do just that. ctrl+c.
    * You can safely ignore the spam of handled exception info in the procmon window when you play ns2. Its of no concern. Only care about UNHANDLED exceptions.
    * Now when ns2 crashes, procdump will interrupt the normal crash handler and write a full (and thus big) dmp file in the location specified.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Talk about lagging behind by a mile..