Crash on Startup

trubkillertrubkiller Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208118Members
Hello,
Recently after reinstalling Natural Selection 2 on Windows 10 again, I have been getting instant crashes on launch, and it says Fatal Error.
I have tried searching around a lot on the internet, however, my game doesn't spit out any error at all when it crashes, and I'll paste the crashlog at the end.
I've tried reinstalling Natural Selection 2 (3 times), reinstalling my graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller, and finally I have tried deleting my %appdata% folder of Natural Selection 2, but nothing changes.
Also, when I did use Display Driver Uninstaller, with Microsoft's basic display driver I was actually able to launch the game, but the game does not work when I launch it after I installed the latest nvidia driver (355.98).
Crashlog (There is like nothing in there)
Log.txt:
Date: 09/23/15
Time: 19:27:33:
[ 0.011] Unbound/Unknown : Filesystem initialized, cache enabled
Build 275
Windows 8 64-bit (build 9200)

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Im not going to get you an actual answer here. But it sounds like a bandaid would be getting an older drivee.

And if you havent and I cant imagine you havent after 3 installs, restart your pc :)
  • trubkillertrubkiller Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208118Members
    Yea, I tried using an older driver right after this post, sadly doesn't seem to be working :(, but thanks for the help!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    trubkiller wrote: »
    Yea, I tried using an older driver right after this post, sadly doesn't seem to be working :(, but thanks for the help!

Have you checked that all the Microsoft VC REDISTS are installed? If so re-install each one, they will be located in your ns2 installation folder in steamapps.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    The log alone is not really helpful in this situation. Please make sure you read and follow these instructions and provide us with a techsupport.zip (this will include the dxdiag reports which might help to clear up the driver issue situation)

In case you want to give another reinstall a try make sure you follow this guide
    Thanks, here's my techsupport.zip
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    You crash "nvstreamer.exe" nonstop.
    Thats of course nvidia.

Disable nvidia's streaming options and try again.
    You crash "nvstreamer.exe" nonstop.
    Thats of course nvidia.

Disable nvidia's streaming options and try again.

Thanks, well I've tried that by basically just uninstalling Geforce Experience and after restarting checking whether I have a nvstreamer.exe service still running (it's not), but sadly it still gives me the same error on startup.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're not overclocked are you?
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Naw, i might try enabling debug in control panel just in case (it forces stock speeds)
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Naw, i might try enabling debug in control panel just in case (it forces stock speeds)

Hey mate, can you do me a favor and run FURMARK for me, this tests the stability of your graphics card and it will determine if its clocks are too high or the card has a fault with itself.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Run the 1080p, it should reach 100% without any errors.

If it bombs out before reaching 100% you have a problem
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Thats exactly my next idea.
    Its suspicious that your graphics keep failing like this.
    Thats exactly my next idea.
    Its suspicious that your graphics keep failing like this.

Great nerds think alike
    hguzmw4j1hvf.png
    Aight, I ran it like you gents said and here's a picture of the results at the end, no crashes or Display Driver crashes. Also, I was able to play Natural Selection 2 on Windows 10 for about 20 hours about a month ago before I decided to reinstall Natural Selection 2 recently.
    Can you confirm if your driver nvidia stream is still crashing?
    Should be in your windows event viewer. I wonder if it has recent errors in it.
    Can you confirm if your driver nvidia stream is still crashing?
    Should be in your windows event viewer. I wonder if it has recent errors in it.

Just checked, and yea, its not there anymore since I uninstalled Geforce Experience, thanks.
    still that you can not use geforce experience is odd.

Also did you follow Obby's full nuke guide?
    edited September 2015
    still that you can not use geforce experience is odd.

Also did you follow Obby's full nuke guide?

Well I was recently using Geforce Experience's new beta (the one that lets you coop with streaming games), so that's why I probably got alot of errors from nvstreamer, though the recording and all works pretty good. And I guess I'll try the nuking again in a few hours to see if it works.

Edit: Just tried that, also I deleted the userdata/4920 to make sure that my other settings would delete, and sadly, nothing.
    edited September 2015
    So are you using the official drivers now and non beta?

Also whats the command line that forces the app to launch in directx 10? Maybe @GhoulofGSG9 can shed some light on this.

You are also not running any of the insider builds on windows 10 are you? I made that mistake and I had some AWFUL errors with ns2
    Yea, 355.98 is the one Im using atm.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Make sure FRAPS isnt running. That's one reason my NS2 doesnt start.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    Obraxis wrote: »

Most kind of DirectX overlays do not work together with NS2 (except the steam one)!
    Obraxis wrote: »

Yea, I didn't have any overlays running besides the Nvidia one, which I uninstalled anyways lol.
    Does it crash on any error?
    I find it odd that there is no evidence anywhere of any crash.
    Does it crash on any error?
    I find it odd that there is no evidence anywhere of any crash.

Yea, I seriously do not get why in my case the game does not log any errors, unless for some reason I found some new bug.

Yea, its not writing anything to %Appdata%\Local\CrashDumps\ after I enabled it, mostly probably because Natural Selection 2 isn't crashing straight from Windows (ns2.exe has stopped responding) but instead has its own crash log creator.

Yea, its not writing anything to %Appdata%\Local\CrashDumps\ after I enabled it, mostly probably because Natural Selection 2 isn't crashing straight from Windows (ns2.exe has stopped responding) but instead has its own crash log creator.

If the ns2 crash reporter shows up you will find a minidump file in your %temp% folder as long as you keep the crash reporter opened.
    Aye it should either make one with windows if enabled, or with NS2s.