Network problem while in spec mode

NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
Hello,

While in first person view on spec mode I get intense usage of upload bandwidth (possible beyond what my connection can support). Due to this or some other reason, the game chokes and my prediction frames increases. After I change view mode or spawn, the prediction starts to lower (my local client starts to catch up with the server), and normal gaming can resume when it catch up. This started to happen on the last build 275 (I recall spec was modified on 275 build)

Is this bandwidth related? Can it be mitigated? Is this something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    edited September 2015
    net_log attached

Enter Wooza server, join spec, change to first person view mode, lagging occurs, change back to world view mode, wait to stabilize, exit.

My connection is 3G (sometimes HSPA, sometimes WCDMA) over a router.
    log.txt 630.5K
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    It might be because it has to get data for 40 players at the same time. It could also be related to server settings, try a few different servers and see if it still happens.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    Might be more related to the fact that you are connected over 3G.

While investigating into network issues for 276 we found out that spark doesn't really handle packet losses as gracefully as it should.

Your log is indicating that you have issues of the same nature. So hopefully the improvements and changes that went into 276 will help you as well once the new build gets released.

Until then maybe try another server with less players/entities on it to avoid running into bandwidth issues. Also connect to a US server instead of a EU one to avoid routing related issues.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Try not leaving the game then rejoining or whatever it is to mitigate the hive skill point loss. Should clear up after that
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I could barely play effectively for 6 months when i was on 4g... idk how you are possibly playing on 3g.
    Also, please try a server that is not using a modified executable to increase the player count beyond what is intended. (24 players or less)
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    edited September 2015
    Wooza was just an example. They had 6 players at the time. I have experienced this problem on other servers too (IBIS, DMD, etc) with varying number of players.

I would not play over 3G if I had a choice, of course.

Will wait for 276 and report back by then.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Try not leaving the game then rejoining or whatever it is to mitigate the hive skill point loss. Should clear up after that

ROFL!