Stuck on Authenticating then Timeout

BugTheGreatOneBugTheGreatOne Texas Join Date: 2014-06-28 Member: 197024Members
edited February 2015 in Technical Support
I have this same issue
(http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/124327/stuck-on-authenticating-then-timeout)
But having followed the post, nothing has helped me.
Log: http://pastebin.com/JBLNJ5n7
If you can help me this would be amazing :)
Thanks,
BugTheGreatOne
Aka. Mr.Cuddles

Comments

• HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    There are records of you successfully joining that server since December 2014. Not once did the connection sequence fail with an error, as seen from the server.
    Today you played there for 20 minutes:
    [17:07:20]Wadlbeißer was killed by Snake
    Client connecting (8.24.215.99)
    Client connected (8.24.215.99)
    [17:08:19]Client Authed. Steam ID: 176974678
    NSPlayer (2) is now known as Mr.Cuddles.
    [17:29:31]Loading Badge config://ServerAdmin.json
    [46253.249] Worker 07 : Loading 'maps/ns2_kodiak.level'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_kodiak.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_kodiak.level'
    Client disconnected (8.24.215.99) Quit

What about other servers? Same thing or just this one?
  • BugTheGreatOneBugTheGreatOne Texas Join Date: 2014-06-28 Member: 197024Members
    edited February 2015
    The problem is with every server, since i changed providers, I have the same exact router, but cant "join" any servers, in details, it says i'm an unknown, but doesn't let me play.
    I really want to get back to playing, it sucks when my days off from college and i cant even relax :/
    -edit-
    i'm redownloading natural selection 2 at the moment. I doubt its ns2, but i'm still trying :/
    You're saying you can't fully connect, yet the server logs show you've been playing (I could go on and quote from the logs who you've killed and who killed you...etc.)
    From that I assume only sometimes does your connection sequence fail.

The server is responsible for performing the steam authentication for you, yet apparently it doesn't get there.

It clearly works for everyone else, also no server steam disconnects are anywhere near your connection times.

You say you changed providers, yet kept the router. Even though on many occasions routers were found to be the culprit, you're quick to dismiss this as the cause. I wouldn't be so quick about that.
    Try bypassing the router or disabling it's internal firewall 'features'.

Also could you be elaborate about when you can't connect and when it works? Is that completely sporadic, or the time of the day, or the 6th attempt? Anything really.
  • BugTheGreatOneBugTheGreatOne Texas Join Date: 2014-06-28 Member: 197024Members
    edited February 2015
    Ever since i changed providers i couldn't "join" any servers. all i see when i hit connect is "authenticating...." the dots move so i know i don't freeze. With my old provider (which was earlier today) i could play and last night i even played some games. I have never had this problem before :(
    That is why you see on the logs that ive been playing( because i have been!) but i changed providers from 10am - 1pm central standard time about 5-6 hours ago is when i first tried to join.
    Btw, thanks for helping me :) i thought i was doomed, but now i have a chance :D
    -edit-
    oh and also, when i try to connect to a server, all of my other connections stop working on my computer until it times out. Hopefully that will help clear my situation up alittle.
    And if you need more info, i can share my screen on skype and show you exactly every step i take
    Sounds like you're having actual net dropouts the moment something attempts to transmit more than one or two packets.
    My guess is your router is losing connection. Please check its logs and whether it perhaps hangs and restarts on those occasions.
    For now, treat this as a network issue rather than a NS2 bug.

Also, do you have any firewall/AV software installed on your pc?
    I disabled the firewall completely, and antivirus is off when i tested, Like i said, ns2 was perfect until i changed providers, but i cant figure out why it wouldn't work. All of my other games work.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well then your provider would be the first suspect in this case :)
    I would contact them and explain, providing that specific server IP for them.
    Do not settle for anything less than an actual IT person on the phone - the customer support rep. will be absolutely useless as they will be unable to run tests for you
    So what did you find in your routers logs? What model is it? Did you -see- it restarting when the dropout occurs?
    It's a possibility that your router barely worked with NS2 on the other provider but doesn't now. NS2 does give crappy routers what they deserve - trouble.
    This is the exact router i have
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr4300.aspx
    As far as the provider, i keep getting the redirect, they send me back and forth between customer support and sales :/
    You forgot to give us the logs from it. You've got to feed us really well.
    I don't see any logs popping up, that's why i came here :/ i have no idea what the problem could be
    http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300/WNDR4300_UM_23Sept2014.pdf
    Page 76, in the picture "Connection status" will at least show you how long it's been up.

Speculating you're on cable and received a new cable modem with the provider switch. Most of these socalled "cable modems" actually do have an integrated router. Speculating you just plugged the Netgear Router into the "cable modem" without turning the "cable modem" into bridge mode first. In that case the "cable modem" may very well be policing your traffic and blocking it because it believes NS2 traffic to be harmful.

What internet connection type do you have? Whats the modem model? Can you get in there? Where's the manual for that? Does it have a bridge mode? etc. etc.
    I asked my dad (he knows the most about this type of stuff) He told me that turned off all of the router firewall and everything. He says that it is a built in modem for the provider. He told me that bridge mode wouldn't matter in that case. I'm getting more info right now, will update soon. If you have anything else i could look for please say :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Attempt to *temporarily* DMZ your router / modem
    And then test if you have issues
    My dad says he doesn't want to do that because it open up our network to hackers and the like :/
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    I am getting similar problems with NS2 and NS2:Combat, but my other steam games are fine.

When I try to create a local server (which, as a modder I do a hell of a lot), I keep failing authentication. It takes me anywhere from 3 to 15 attempts to start a server, although sometimes, I do get in on the first attempt. The issue started occuring around 273 for me, although it did happen occasionally in 272, but not as bad.

Combat really became noticable after the last build they released, but I wasn't modding it much prior to that, so couldn't confirm the start time of their issues.

I think this is related to the steam checks that have been changed, although, obviously, I cannot be sure, and couldn't offer speculation on what could cause it since this obviously wasn't touched directly.

It doesn't produce an error log, just returns to the menu advising authentication failed, check firewall and other steam games message.

As I said, testing with other games while having these issues immediately before and after my other game tests, indicates this to be an engine/codebase issue, rather than a steam or network issue, but this is just my personal experience.

I don't have these issues when joining normal servers, at least, I've not noticed it as much if it is occurring. It does seem to have certain times when it occurs more, I'll pay more attention and make more detailed observations today.

Still having troubles here :/ I should be getting a new place soon, i'm going to test out there. Hopefully ill be able to play ns2 from there... if not then ill be very sad :(
    There's nothing unsafe about again, *temporarily* enabling DMZ on your router in order to test NS2 exclusively with no other program running for 120 seconds.
    You can keep your firewall on and antivirus software enabled. Immediately after seeing if you are still stuck on authenticating when joining, you can disable DMZ.

That being said - you linked a wireless modem... Would you please test with you being wired to the modem / router directly instead of using wifi?
    If you are already wired, then suffice it to say, we just need more data. Type net_log 3 in the console (~ key) just before attempting to connect to a server.
    Then immediately quit after it fails.
    Provide us with your log.txt