Rookie Friendly servers

RikkmaeryRikkmaery Somewhere Else Join Date: 2014-12-23 Member: 200236Members
What's the point of them if every match involves vets stacking on one side?

It's not fun and looks like a great way to make noobs never play again.

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    If I understood it correctly a "rookie friendly" tagged server means that rookies are tolerated on those servers and rookies can theoretically find help with the game on those servers, sadly it's no guarantee that this server will have an environment that is enjoyable for a rookie.

I think what you are looking for are rookie only servers, but I think they are almost never populated due to the low number of rookies.
    Maybe someone on this forum can give you some suggestion for enjoyable servers
  • JJ173JJ173 Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204712Members, NS2 Playtester
    You can always find rookie friendly servers that allow shuffling by Hive skill or even teams, that usually helps.
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    It usually helps. But we should strive to be better than that.
    Meaning we need to go much further than the ridiculously ineffective proposals getting added to trello wishlist from people who are running dead servers.

Take the rookie and stuff him into a babbler.
    Give it meaning. He bites once, his target dies.
    Takes two rifle mags to incapacitate it, then you need to step on it to have a 20% chance to kill it.
    A Rookie will be able to simultaneously take part in games and observe them while getting the attention he deserves.

After 1-2 hours of learning basics, feeling like a king and dying from laughter he gets to play regularly.

And playable babblers was done in a weekend by the Faded modder. The code already exists.

The entire set of ops running actually active servers disagrees with the notion of rookie only servers.
    But a treasure trove of good intel about how to save ns2 needs to be ignored at all costs, apparently.

edited June 2015
    A much better idea: Make it appealing to have the rookie on your team.
    That's what's currently lacking. People pick the team with less rookies, ruining everything for the rookie and NS2.

Fix this by making people WANT the rookie, better two!

Being near the rookie will randomly give you small goodies like a bit of health or armor (especially if he gets a kill). He will have teammates surrounding him, covering him.
    If he joins aliens, the goodies will be health, armor, adren or summat.
    Imagine you're with the rookie and he goes the wrong direction. Players will tell him where to go and why, instead of ignoring rookies completely as it's currently the case.

Keep in mind this is only for the first few hours of rookiedom (like a light green rookie, as opposed to the 5-20h dark green rookies)

If they go commander, give them a starter pack of stuff. People will want to have them try commanding.

Why hasn't this been done before?
    No way to reliably define a rookie in code? Then FIND a way.

We need to treat rookies like kings.

Too bad we have fun-deniers in charge that discard any suggestion coming from the place they hate so relentlessly.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Rikkmaery agree this is a problem. If you see rookies that need help, they can check the wiki NS2 Wiki. If they are very new and want to know mechanics and more about the game (eg. HUD etc...) check out my steam guide (links in my signature).
    I have notice there seem to be more rookies around than say a month ago.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there needs to be a clearer definition between "rookie friendly" and "rookie only" servers.

I can understand your pain though, I almost always counter stack as much as I can on rookie friendly servers as it's completely boring stomping one and watching the server empty, unfortunately some people lack common sense and hindsight.
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    Maybe some of us can put up servers that restrict people if they have too high of a kdr ratio? That way everyone is on the same playing field. I'm not crazy about the idea, but what do you guys think?
  • Rifle-StarRifle-Star Austria Join Date: 2015-07-04 Member: 205990Members
    Restrictions cause more harm than good.

Replace restrictions with suggestive and informative methods.

This is one example:
    A much better idea: Make it appealing to have the rookie on your team.
    That's what's currently lacking. People pick the team with less rookies, ruining everything for the rookie and NS2.

Fix this by making people WANT the rookie, better two!

Being near the rookie will randomly give you small goodies like a bit of health or armor (especially if he gets a kill). He will have teammates surrounding him, covering him.
    If he joins aliens, the goodies will be health, armor, adren or summat.
    Imagine you're with the rookie and he goes the wrong direction. Players will tell him where to go and why, instead of ignoring rookies completely as it's currently the case.

Keep in mind this is only for the first few hours of rookiedom (like a light green rookie, as opposed to the 5-20h dark green rookies)

If they go commander, give them a starter pack of stuff. People will want to have them try commanding.

Why hasn't this been done before?
    No way to reliably define a rookie in code? Then FIND a way.

We need to treat rookies like kings.

Too bad we have fun-deniers in charge that discard any suggestion coming from the place they hate so relentlessly.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Rusty_1 wrote: »
    Maybe some of us can put up servers that restrict people if they have too high of a kdr ratio? That way everyone is on the same playing field. I'm not crazy about the idea, but what do you guys think?

How about a mod where you can only do 50% of damage to any one enemy
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    the forum keeps not showing my sig, so here it is copied.

Author of a ePaper manual for NS2, now also a steam guide
    Co-wrote the Marine EXO Suit Protocol