Official mods

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I hope FP comes with at least a few fully realized, and unique, polished mods to draw people in. And I'm not talking about a bunch of Q3 Arena clones. Once that happens, the momentum from the player base of those game modes will make the independent modding take off.

Also, UWE needs to come up with a way to weekly showcase one or two recently made mods so they actually get played. Too often games get lots of mods but nobody plays them because there are not enough concurrent players.

P.S. In order to support both the official and the independent mods, there needs to be pre-packaged content that the players can pull from, without having to build it all themselves. One of the major advantages of the most successful moddable games has been a large collection of content (textures, entities, etc), that could be used and wired up with minimal effort. I understand the minimalist take currently in the game limits this, but there still needs to be an ability to set apart your mod without having to do tons of graphic design.

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I agree 100%. We've been mostly focused on building technology thus far, but we're getting to the point where it makes sense to shift more of our efforts to building assets and gameplay.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's definitely really important that the official mods alone be enough to sustain the game for a while. You have to build a community from the official offerings first before people will be convinced that the stuff they build is likely to attract an audience. There's a reason why Half-Life was the definitive modding game for so long.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Just to flesh out my suggestion for showcasing mods, if a reliable core of (at least 50) concurrent players actually got into playing a different new mod each week, it could turn it into more of the LAN-party style "play that new mod" game that was mentioned earlier. Once there are enough interesting mods, I can see this becoming hugely fun.

Maybe encourage/reward players who play and rate/review (via an in-game interface) the showcased mods. Ratings could be automatically collated and published to allow for other players to know what is out there, in an officially supported mod review section the FP website.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @Max What is the chance of some of the games from the UWE Modjam?
    Of Course, last stand might not work out well (put it in combat, mayhaps?), however, Fighter and Heist would definately work.
    And they are already half worked on too.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    @Max What is the chance of some of the games from the UWE Modjam?
    Of Course, last stand might not work out well (put it in combat, mayhaps?), however, Fighter and Heist would definately work.
    And they are already half worked on too.
    The Heist game would be very well suited for Future Perfect. In a way, it's one of the inspirations or Future Perfect, so I think there's a good chance we'll do something with it.