[4k resolution] Game keeps freezing and have to end the task + getting kicked for being a rookie

exbexb what? Join Date: 2014-11-03 Member: 199355Members
edited December 2014 in Technical Support
I bought this game with high hopes but I'm having a lot of problems with it so far.

1) Every server I join kicks me for being a rookie.. even the rookie friendly ones!
2) Pressing " C " shows a tiny map. I'm running 3840 x 2160 4k display and the scaling does not work well with the hud.
iRj2oiJW8DpjM.jpg
3) The game freezes with in 20 minutes of play time sometimes less for no reason.
4) I just can't play it without getting kicked or the game freezing for some obscure reason :\

My specs are
i7 5930k 4.2ghz
EVGA GTX 980 SC Stock clocks
64 gbs DDR4 Memory
Samsung M.2 512 SSD 1.1mbps read and write speeds

I've put in a request to steam for a refund for the reasons I've stated above. I hope I'm not being overly sensitive.

It just really sucks to buy a game and not be able to play it.

I hope this forum can offer me a solution.

Comments

• MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Nice to have 4K display support :) I tried that 4K DSR with my 1080p 144hz display and I got same "hud problems". That 4k resolution may give some in game problems too which why people may kick you or freezing like memory leak or something:( You should wait for response..

If you have console error you can post it here, console will open "§ / ½" button or gettin log file ( %appdata%\Natural Selection 2). When CDT or UWE will respond they could ask plog from you
    2732b3b549679869198d3a7625d924f7.png
  • exbexb what? Join Date: 2014-11-03 Member: 199355Members
    Okay I'll wait. Thnx for the response hopefully this issue will be fixed.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited November 2014
    Just echoing same issue with 4K here as well. Game hard-freezes without fail < 20 mins (sometimes as quick as 2 mins, it's rather random). Same configuration with 2560x1600 or less, and can play for hours no problem.

EDIT: To exb -- the hud scaling I believe is already on the cards, so that may be fixed in the next patch. However, without fixing the crash issue as well it might be moot.

As for being kicked for being green, if that happens those servers don't deserve you. Find a better server where the players are actually worth knowing. I can recommend Woozas, we welcome everyone :)

Martigen wrote: »
    Just echoing same issue with 4K here as well. Game hard-freezes without fail < 20 mins (sometimes as quick as 2 mins, it's rather random). Same configuration with 2560x1600 or less, and can play for hours no problem.

EDIT: To exb -- the hud scaling I believe is already on the cards, so that may be fixed in the next patch. However, without fixing the crash issue as well it might be moot.

As for being kicked for being green, if that happens those servers don't deserve you. Find a better server where the players are actually worth knowing. I can recommend Woozas, we welcome everyone :)

Yeah man it's a frustrating issue not being able to play a game at native res. Thnx for the recommendation I'll see if I can give it another shot at a lower res. The only downfall is blurry textures + the haziness.

As for the community aspect. No idea what I can do about the other issue of getting kicked for being a new player. I guess I'll just keep the game open for 200+ hrs until I can actually join a server without getting auto kicked.

I did the math. That's 8 days and 8 hours

amazing

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Luckily very few servers have such restrictions. Sadly there is no way to filter them out in the server browser.
    edited November 2014
    To expand the issue on 4k scaling for the hud elements. Here is a video that goes into further discussion of the problems that affect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dql5VyUfO68

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Currently 4k isn't officially supported - like most games sold on steam - as it's still pretty new.
    Try running a more common resolution in the meantime.

But thanks for the report, nonetheless!
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Currently 4k isn't officially supported - like most games sold on steam - as it's still pretty new.
    Try running a more common resolution in the meantime.

But thanks for the report, nonetheless!

Since this is the case...

There should be a red flag were that information is disclosed when buying the game.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @exb, hmm, where I can find a red flag for 21:9 screen aspect then, can you show an example? I run most of the games in 1920x1080 16:9 mode instead of 2560x1080 21:9... Tho', NS2 runs flawlessly in 21:9 aspect, except of the Lerk's gaps )))
    edited November 2014
    METROID wrote: »
    @exb, hmm, where I can find a red flag for 21:9 screen aspect then, can you show an example? I run most of the games in 1920x1080 16:9 mode instead of 2560x1080 21:9... Tho', NS2 runs flawlessly in 21:9 aspect, except of the Lerk's gaps )))

Never said anything about 21:9 aspect ratio. Please read the topic fully to understand the issue.

The video mentioned 21:9 and it does scale correctly since it's ultra wide but that isn't the problem.

In the video the user has a Samsung 4k monitor. He only mentions 21:9 for the ultra wide screens like this one.

24-005-724-01.jpg

We're talking about 4k which is 3840 x 2160 16:9 not 2560x1080 21:9 ^

Please run that res to see the problems or view the screenshot I provided in the beginning of the topic.

The red flag is an expression. I'm saying if a game doesn't support 4k ie 3840 x 2160 then they should disclose it as a red flag.

Here is a 4k screenshot of the scaling issue if you didn't catch it in my first post.

iRj2oiJW8DpjM.jpg

edited November 2014
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    exb wrote: »
    I'm saying if a game doesn't support 4k ie 3840 x 2160 then they should disclose it as a red flag.
    That's not the way steam or the gaming industry works.
    4K monitors weren't even available to purchase when this game was released.

Currently that resolution is only used by 0.02% of all steam users.
    It's a much shorter list if games that DO support 4K mention such a thing.
    For instance, does every game that does not support the Occulus Rift get a flag saying such? No.. But if the game is O.R. compatible they generally mention it in the page somewhere.

That being said, I will definitely bring this up with the CDT, as it may be an easy fix - no promises though. :)
    In the meantime, just use a more typical resolution to play.
    I guess I'm the minority then :\ I'll just wait for steam to refund me and save me the trouble.

Steam typically will only refund 1 game per account, or at least that's what i've heard..

And you are definitely going to run into issues like this in the future with many other games (and even in Windows 7).. and even if they do support such resolutions, the fps will tank to non competitive levels.
    "Not even two Nvidia Titans, or a newer Titan Black, can handle refreshing eight million pixels 60 times per second."

In short... gaming just isn't ready for such technology yet.
    edited November 2014
    Never heard of that before. I've dealt with steam and they've always helped me.

This is the only game I've run into the issue with 4k.

The fps is fine it's the crashing and the tiny hud that makes it unplayable not the frame rate. I get a minimum of 60 fps and it dips in the low 40's every now and then.

I hope there's an update for NS2 it really is an awesome innovative game. But at this point I can't stand the blurriness that is 2560 x 1440
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    exb, too bad you can't play NS2, but it will be very nice to see NS2 optimized for 4k in the future.
    METROID wrote: »
    exb, too bad you can't play NS2, but it will be very nice to see NS2 optimized for 4k in the future.

Yeah definitely

I'd love to buy it again if it supports 4k.
    Out of curiosity what FPS were you getting in an actual game with that resolution?
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited November 2014
    And you are definitely going to run into issues like this in the future with many other games (and even in Windows 7).. and even if they do support such resolutions, the fps will tank to non competitive levels.
    "Not even two Nvidia Titans, or a newer Titan Black, can handle refreshing eight million pixels 60 times per second."

Sorry IH I feel I need to correct you there. While I agree it is a minority -- though never the less 4K monitors are here now and being adopted -- 4K performance is as you can imagine title specific.*

I've been testing it for about a month now (on a 65" 4K TV, no less) and the only game that hasn't worked is Wolfenstein. NS2 works, but crashes (as per this thread) within a 20 minute time-frame without fail, often earlier.

How's the performance? Demanding :) I have 680s in SLI and usually play at 2560x1600 (on my normal Dell monitor) with all the bells and whistles (except AO, that bugger is hardcore) at 60fps. To maintain 60fps at 4K I turn down many of the settings -- but not all. 60fps 4K NS2 is not only doable, but it's glorious :) Until it crashes mid-game, that is.

* now for this asterisk -- yep, games work with 4K but some suffer issues such as sooper-small HUDs. While 4k is here now, most games up to the present didn't plan for 4K, the point I think you were making. So here's the thing: lets fix this 4K bug, update the HUD scaling (which I think is already on the cards anyway) and get UWE to send out a press-release stating NS2 is one of the first 4K-ready games in the entire gazillion Steam catalog. It's a perfect opportunity for exposure, and leaves NS2 forward-thinking for the future.

EDIT: and exb -- come back :) Even if you have to play at a lower res expanded for now, NS2 is worth it.

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Making the GUI scale is going to be a though job. Making it not crash is more important though. Is there a crashreport somewhere? Maybe its a general issue that simply affects 4k resolutions more frequently than others.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Certainly does sound like a general issue. Enable automatic dump saving as per this post. They might be able to see something from it.

It's not a bad idea to advertise with being 4k ready. How can we tare whether it's worth the effort of making the GUI scalable? :-/
  • OrigamiPaperOrigamiPaper Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175376Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2014
    I thought I'd chime in since I recently purchased a monitor with 3840 x 2160 (4k) resolution. I haven't had a lot of time to test the game at 4k resolution but here are my observations.

NOTE: Running 2 Radeon 7970s in CF.

I get 30-40 frames on average at 4k resolution with all other graphics options maxed out. In addition to lowering some of my configuration settings, my cards are currently slightly underclocked because I haven't needed them to be at full power until now, so there is some room for tweaking. However, I suspect even if I get at least 60 frames in early game after tweaking, I likely won't be able to reliably have >=60 frames throughout the game, making me lean towards simply playing at 2560 x 1440 if I use this monitor at all to play NS2.

I have the same or similar scaling issues (i.e. text, hp bars and maps image sizes) but I haven't experienced a crash yet. Even running the game at 2560 x 1440 and there seems to be minor scaling issues most notably on HP bars. The scaling issues at 2560 x 1440 however do not result in significant handicap like the 4k scaling issues (i.e. not being able to report exactly how many bars an RT has vs not being able to distinguish players on the map). Also, interestingly I found changing the resolution from 4k to 2560 x 1440 caused the scaling issues to continue until I reloaded, suggesting that scaling variables are set during the loading of the map.

If I have time I'll see if I can reproduce the crash due to the 4k resolution other users have reported.

at 2560 x 1440 (notice the HP bar ticks):
    2cf3d07c7cbdbadaac242ada987e52.jpg

at 4K (notice that you pretty much can't see the HP bars at all):
    3021b04c9f261cef21690e1cca0356.jpg
    9f4cca445f6554d024d7f4c91e5d72.jpg
    Please use spoiler tags for images -Ironhorse
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    Just a tip for 4k users like the OP here, if you happen to stumble upon this thread:

If you're using a lower resolution than your monitor's native, you may be able to minimize the blurryness a couple of different ways.

1. Use 1920x1080 instead of 2560x1440. 1920x1080 is a 1:2 ratio from your monitor's native res, which should yield better results than 2560x1440 as far as blurryness is concerned.

2. Use your GPU's software to modify how scaling is done, and you may get better results as well. Nvidia control panel has this, but I am unsure of ATI/AMD's implementation.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Martigen wrote: »

Sorry IH I feel I need to correct you there. While I agree it is a minority -- though never the less 4K monitors are here now and being adopted -- 4K performance is as you can imagine title specific.*

I've been testing it for about a month now (on a 65" 4K TV, no less) and the only game that hasn't worked is Wolfenstein. NS2 works, but crashes (as per this thread) within a 20 minute time-frame without fail, often earlier.

How's the performance? Demanding :) I have 680s in SLI and usually play at 2560x1600 (on my normal Dell monitor) with all the bells and whistles (except AO, that bugger is hardcore) at 60fps. To maintain 60fps at 4K I turn down many of the settings -- but not all. 60fps 4K NS2 is not only doable, but it's glorious :) Until it crashes mid-game, that is.

* now for this asterisk -- yep, games work with 4K but some suffer issues such as sooper-small HUDs. While 4k is here now, most games up to the present didn't plan for 4K, the point I think you were making. So here's the thing: lets fix this 4K bug, update the HUD scaling (which I think is already on the cards anyway) and get UWE to send out a press-release stating NS2 is one of the first 4K-ready games in the entire gazillion Steam catalog. It's a perfect opportunity for exposure, and leaves NS2 forward-thinking for the future.

EDIT: and exb -- come back :) Even if you have to play at a lower res expanded for now, NS2 is worth it.

Woah, do what he said. @Flayra
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Btw, does it still crash with current build?
  • habuj58habuj58 Boston Join Date: 2015-01-08 Member: 200697Members
    I was having the same exact issue with the UI scaling as well as the game crashing while running at 4K.

Although NS does not officially support this I have seen it scale properly at times. I have not nailed down exactly what causes this but I will try and see if I can recreate it.

Also I recently upgraded the cooling on my 780ti’s and the game has not crashed yet even after playing 2 hours straight. Before I was not able to play for more then 10 min without it crashing. That is the only thing I changed that made it go away for me.
    Hmmm.. even downscaling 4k resolutions in NS2 still produces small fonts and minmaps etc.
    No promises whatsoever on a fix, but know that we are definitely looking into what we can do.
  • habuj58habuj58 Boston Join Date: 2015-01-08 Member: 200697Members
    This was not easy but I finally figured out a way to record NS2 footage in 4K and thought I would share. All of the settings are turned down except for textures, which are on high. I was getting about 100FPS when not recording but struggled to get 30 when recording. Maxed out at 4k I’m able to get 60 FPS when not recording. There is also an SLI issue when recording so I could only run on one card.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like you have a couple of ants running around on your minimap :smiley: