Gather Activity Announcer BOT

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
I made a post on the ENSL forums, I'm just gonna repost here as well :)

Hi guys. I wrote a suggestion some time ago about making a steambot that would monitor the gather activity on this site (ENSL.org), and then relay the important information to who ever has added the steambot on their friendslist. Well it didn't get much traction, but it is autumn break, so I found some time to make it myself.

Disclaimer: This is still a prototype!

So let me briefly get in to more detail about the purpose for this bot.
Many of you have probably experienced something similar to this:
    * Nobody has joined the gather yet. * You join it to get things rolling. * You go play some pubs while you wait, but you don't like the added framedrops / inputlag the idle browser gives you so you close it. * Hours go by and you forget. * 20 hours later you get bombarded with steam messages complaining you didn't show up and forgot to resign.

The above experience serves as a future deterrent for people to be the first to join the gather. It's not just annoying for the other players, it's extremely annoying for the forgetful individual. This slows down the entire gather community and ultimately leads to inactivity in my experience.

The bot I made is designed to:
    * Remind you when gathers are about to start, giving you a chance to resign in due time. Hopefully this will remedy the above mentioned deterrent. * Announce when empty spots for the next gather are getting occupied - Encouraging you to join in the last minute. This makes it much easier for people who can't put off 2 hours of their schedule to wait for gathers etc. * Announce when the gather has started and will link you to the gather page. This allows you to close your internet browser while you're waiting for the gather to start. (Which in my case at least, lead to substantial improvements in framerate in-game)

All of the above works without the need to have your internet browser up or install any 3rd party programs what so ever. It will also serve to notify you while you're in-game.

If you are concerned that it will spam during an official match or what ever - just use the "Block all communication" feature in steam. Or message the bot " !pause ", and " !resume " when you're ready to receive notifications again.

Installation:

The only thing you need to do to make this work is: add this guy on your steam friendslist and you're done:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/nslgatherbot2/

Message the bot " !status " to get a count on how many have joined the gather in real time. Message the bot " !help " for a list of commands.

: My bot will never ask for any type of password or other type of account information.

Possible future features include:
* Per request: Pcw/scrim organizer. (Mega) - Wether I bother making this, will depend on how many people decide to use the bot and peoples feedback.
* Bot will monitor who (by steamID) has joined the gather and will behave accordingly (i.e. message people in a less general sense as it does now).
* (Requires ENSL admin assistance) Make it possible to join a gather through the bot rather than joining through the website.

Edit oct-14th: Per request (Mega), bot will now not announces if your steam status is set to Busy. (it also messaged people who were offline, which is now fixed) - otherwise there's also the "Block All Communications".

Edit oct-16th: Per request (RioS), bot now announces a link to the gatherserver.

Edit jan-17-2016: Gather announcer conditions editor:
To edit the conditions, message the bot with the command "!msgconditions [option]"

Valid options are as follows:
Online : Only announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" (Default setting)
Away : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" or "Away"
Busy : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" or "Busy"
All : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to anything other than "Offline"
Non : Disable gather announcing

Comments

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    You sir, are awesome.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is freaking great, good work.
    Maybe in the future this could be upgraded to be a feed we can see in-game from the main menu or something *drools*
    But for now, this seems like a great feature :)
  • backamj82backamj82 US Join Date: 2014-10-02 Member: 198819Members
    Well, for new users its great info.. Thanks for updating here this stuff.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is the source code public? I make bots for other services sometimes and I'm just curious to see how you implemented it.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nekroing this thread to say. Bot is back online for anyone who's interested. Brand new to go with the new ENSL gather system.

Some of you who haven't removed it on your friendslist may already have noticed.

Gather activity has been quite lively recently, so now might be the time to pick up some gathers!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This should be on the main menu in some form
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »

My hopes and dreams put a matchmaking system in some way that it replaces the ensl gather system altogether.

I wouldn't mind Half Life 3 to come out too.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »

: My bot will never ask for any type of password or other type of account information.

But what if it gains self-awareness and disregards your orders? All those gullible rookies... Will no one think of the ROOKIES????!!!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Calego wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

My hopes and dreams put a matchmaking system in some way that it replaces the ensl gather system altogether.

I wouldn't mind Half Life 3 to come out too.

Matchmaking system will never replace the NSL gather system. Both systems are different.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @IronHorse FUCK YOU IRONHORSE ITS NOT OFFICIAL FUCK YOU
    edited February 2016
    Bumping again. New feature by request.

Gather announcer conditions editor:
    To edit the conditions, message the bot with the command "!msgconditions [option]"

Valid options are as follows:
    Online : Only announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" (Default setting)
    Away : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" or "Away"
    Busy : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to "Online" or "Busy"
    All : Announce if your personastatus on steam is set to anything other than "Offline"
    Non : Disable gather announcing

---

You can now also just use "!pause" and "!resume" to make the bot stop broadcasting to you.

Use "!help" for a list of commands.
    Thanks for using my bot guys. Apparently the friendslist limit has been reached (lol), so I have made a second bot. http://steamcommunity.com/id/nslgatherbot2/