Predicted frames counting up, red plug, player location reset

ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
edited October 2014 in Technical Support
Continuing Nr. 3 from this post here:

I first noticed this at least half a year ago when walking about with a friend on a testserver that had a very early stage map loaded (couple walls and mostly holes).
You could barely move around, it was bad. But it was 100% the same issue. And we both had it.

Generally you warp around. If you walk forward, your location will get reset to almost the spot from where you started.
You'll see a red plug occasionally, if it's longer, the red plug is always visible.

I've joined various servers for testing just now, and beside Ghouls server, where I can still reproduce it, on one called "[TCC-CLAN.DE] VEIL ONLY, SMALL ROUNDER" I had that even worse.
And apparently ns2_veil seems to favor it. On a server called "Serious Business" and ours I did not manage to reproduce it.
If you don't move, it just keeps counting predicted frames (see screenshot included in techsupport.zip).
In fact, at around 1680, the ns2 client simply crashed. I ran the techsupport.exe with crashed ns2.exe still open, and it seemed to include a dump, but didn't. . .

I have no idea where this issue comes from, but I can play on Ghouls server alright, it's just when not much is happening.
(Empty server scenario:) If I join marines and shoot some magazines, it doesn't happen. Few seconds after I stop and stand still, it starts again.
While standing still, the predicted frames count does not always keep counting up. It randomly goes back to normal, thens starts counting again.

Some plogs are included in the .zip, too.

EDIT:
This issue does not appear gamebreaking at first glance, therefor it's not a priority. But it might be a piece of the puzzle leading to relief for other issues.

Anyone implying I am randomly blaming servers needs to learn to read.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I play on Ghouls server often (and so does he) so I can reasonably sure say its not his server. :p
    Also due to the lack of other reports about this problem.

So until proven otherwise, lets blame the client.

Start by disabling all mods, truly 0 mods at all. Then see if the problem still occurs. Note that many servers run mods, so you may need to hunt for a modless server or start a listenserver.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I have experienced the same problem as ATF. It's rare and it usually goes away after a while. I'll start taking notes when it happens to see if there is a pattern.
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Start game -> Server Browser -> Start Server -> Create -> Within first 10mins prediction goes up to ~1600 frames and then crashes. Before 267 using "maxfps 60" fixed this problem.

Build 266
    argh.jpg

Build 269
    argh2.jpg

Build 270
    argh3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j32uwkbwbo7i0q8/tech_support.zip
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @minsci‌
    Thanks for the useful info + dump
    I can't remember for sure, but i remember this problem being linked to networking issues (you'll notice the only thing out of place in net_stats is your outgoing packets)
    Can you check your router logs, they should have something to say when this happens.

My guess is the good old flooding if its not the "empty packet" issue.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Network issues on a listen server? :-?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Oh man.. I am blind.. Thanks for that @ATF‌ LOL..

Runaway prediction when hosting your own server, eh?
    I'll try to reproduce this.

Do you know how to make a plog? Would be soo helpful
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My plogs from first post are no good? >:P
    Here's a new one, just recorded on a vanilla server called "Fluffy the Drifter" running ns2_veil.
    Awesome, thank you both!
    OK so, OP and @minsci‌ we need dump files of this occurring..

Meaning when you get these runaway prediction frames, immediately alt tab and run your techsupport.exe and save that zip file.
    It SHOULD have a "dump" folder in it afterwards. If not, try to wait for the game to hang and crash and then repeat it.

It's the only way left to track down this issue, because the plogs are just saying you've lost connection to your own server.
    The clue here is that one of those screenshots shows a "failed to allocate" error, meaning it looks like it could be memory fragmentation again.. which has to be caught with a dump.
    edited November 2014
    minsci's 270 screen shot is the actual crash that happens everytime it reaches 1683(-ish) predicted frames.
    minsci's techsupport.zip already has a dump of that.

Catching the runaway predicted frames with a memory dump, now that is a challenge.
    I am fairly certain that when you alt tab, it'll reset the counter. Yep, confirmed.
    As mentioned in my post it randomly resets, all the time. Over a period of 10 seconds it will have counted a couple times to xx or xxx frames and started anew.

Ok, got two dumps using window mode and a batch file that runs procdump delayed.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/htt0ssnqhrdml7w/uploadtakingages.7z?dl=0
    Were they useful?
    Here's a mapper talking about it (in the spoiler).
    There's a good chance this is connected to the luajit resetting issue (the yellow plug issue) so just sit tight for the next patch to test and confirm. :)
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    I have alot of red-plug , also its happens more frequently after patch 271 ( after 1-2 map change , game will cause red plug >> disconnect)

"Fatal error" allways come after i quit NS2 "red Plug" to windows ??