Solution to the increase in Stacking and the Rage that follows

ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
Now that the stats are actually implemented there has been a clear increase in stacking and raging over ranks. Just today I observed people quitting a game b/c their rank was going down as a result. I understand that the ranking is important for use of things like the balance teams vote; however, by showing players their actual rank it makes them obsess over it and this impacts the game significantly.

What I propose is we show players stats on their gameplay but do not show them anything that directly ranks them to other players. This reduces players quitting b/c omg my rank is going down and stacking b/c there is less incentive to boost a rank that does not exist.

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Huh?
    In my experience stackers stack because/in order to reach hugely inflated kill:death ratios. I've never seen them giving a single fudge about "rank" (and yes, I know one that operates multiple NS2 accounts to undermine banning his toxic ass).
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Never underestimate the power of rank whoring.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Seems like some ppl didn't got how the new skill rating works. Neither rage quieting nor stacking will help you to gain a high skill rating ...
    Unfortunately, these people are like drug addicts they are high on the numbers and do not care how the shit actually works. The best solution is to take the drugs away.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, these people are like drug addicts they are high on the numbers and do not care how the shit actually works. The best solution is to take the drugs away.

When you add stats on something it's start to spoil the fun. I mean the Core of the fun. The more i play the more i see ppl (as population decrease) bragging about their dick size.

The ironic thing is that it's probably competition that killed it. Any new comer would be impressed. But not impressed in a positive way. (S)he would think it doesn't worth it as the game is getting old, as the gap is huge etc... Overwhelming.

I don't think it's necessary to remove the system. Only to hide stats. Even the scoreboard. Stats are useful for calculation of a balanced game.

New comers won't see the huge gap, and stat whores won't have a thing to talk about. And maybe the landscape will clean up by itself as an ecosystem. Let's flip a coin.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Seems like some ppl didn't got how the new skill rating works. Neither rage quieting nor stacking will help you to gain a high skill rating ...

Ho i almost forgot.

IF it works. I have doubts about that points. So far i have a weird feeling about it. I've seen weird stacks after a successful vote.
    Agreed, what I am taking about is hiding them not removing them b/c they are needed to help for game balance and other behind the sceans features but just do not tell players how big their epeen is.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    rantology wrote: »
    I agree with ZEROibis about public rankings being detrimental in many ways to public play. It might not be completely obvious, but I do think there are many negative aspects that come with making any kind of skill system totally public. Especially one that actually tries to rank players.

Alternatively you don't have to completely hide the skill rating, imo it would be nice to have it be just a general indicator of what skill you might have, as opposed to the exact rankings/ leaderboard type mentality that showing a specific values encourages.

For example, instead of showing a precise number and ranking indicating skill, you could change this to a more generalized ranking system. Top 10%: elite badge, top 30%: veteran badge, top 60%: soldier badge, and top 100%: rookie badge..... you get the idea. This still conveys the idea of skill level but it tones the stat whoring/leaderboard mentality down a notch. The other alternative is, like ZEROibis suggests, simply removing the rankings completely from the public eye.

This, so much this, and more this, plox.

Also top 1% gets MeatMachine's Steak Of Approval Badge