Server problems and error at connection

shindukeshinduke germany Join Date: 2014-09-05 Member: 198273Members
Hi,
i got some problems with my game. First i only see 16 servers which are all empty and i cant connect. I get an error "couldn't establish connection with server". I played already with the filters but nothing helped. Still seeing 16 servers. I checked my game data for corupt data but nothing was found. I reinstalled the game but it doesn´t help. I got no mods installed so the game data is clear. Firewall is off for Natural Selection.
I hope you can help me with this problem. Techdata is attached.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You do have mods installed, actually.
    Build 269
    Windows 8 64-bit (build 9200)
    [ 0.061] Unbound/Unknown : Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context!
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 2
    Direct3D 9 initialized: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (8.17.10.1299)
    Sound Device: Lautsprecher (2- USB PnP Sound Device) stereo
    Record Device: Mikrofon (2- USB PnP Sound Device)
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/Shinduke/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m7b07ec8_1365457352/
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 269

Go to the mods menu in NS2 and click on it to deactivate it.
    Then to be doubly sure, go to steam workshop and unsubscribe from it.
    Then to be triple sure, go to your hidden %appdata%/Natural selection 2/ folder and delete the "Workshop" folder
    Then to be quadruplely (?) sure .. disable steam cloud temporarily for NS2 > right click ns2 > properties > updates > uncheck steam cloud box

Now run NS2 again and then afterwards run that techsupport exe and post it here. :)
  • shindukeshinduke germany Join Date: 2014-09-05 Member: 198273Members
    All done like said. Here is the new Techdata :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    shinduke wrote: »
    Upps :) here it is

Can you please reset your settings by doing this:

Delete this folder: /Steam/userdata/<steamid>/4920 (resets options by generating a new options.xml the next time you start NS2)

Looking at your tech_support.zip you use some weird filters that might explain the issue.

Report back after you did reset your settings ;)
    I deleted the folder but it´s not better. Started NS2 new and tried to join some server. Here the new techdata...This is really wierd :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I deleted the folder but it´s not better. Started NS2 new and tried to join some server. Here the new techdata...This is really wierd :(

Oh forgot to mention it did you disable the steam cloud for ns2 before deleting the folder?
    Steam Cloud is disabled for all the whole time:)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Whats weird is your logs do not show you attempting to connect to a server at all.
    Hmm..

Can you please delete this file?
    C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\HistoryServers.json

Then ensure that you have no anti virus programs running (some, like commodo can block the server browser)
    Then try the server browser again (take a screenshot in game with F12)
    If it didn't help, then please google how to DMZ your specific Router.
    Then try the server browser one last time (again taking a screenshot of what you see)

Feel free to run some external tests while doing the above, like using this web browser server http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/ to see a server's IP you'd like to join.. and then seeing if your PC can even "see" that IP:
    Start > type "cmd" in search > select cmd.exe > in the black popup window type "tracert (then whatever the server's IP you wanted to join)"

for example:
    tracert 176.57.145.13
    That is a German server near you that's active as of today.

This sort of test is just to rule out NS2 and to see if its your network configuration that is preventing you from pinging servers.
    I deleted the file you said. My Virus Program was turned off. Then tried the Serverbrowser again (see picture 1-3)
    My Router has no DMZ Function (Speedport W724V).
    I´ve tried 10 Server to connect with the Button on the nanogrid aund with typing connenct "IP"
    tracert to the IP above gives me this connection route (see picture 4)

By the way is NS2 the only game which do this problems. Don´t know why.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Could be the udp flood detection again. Looking at the manual, hat router has no setting for that though. You can check whether you have any filter settings enabled, see page 76 here. You can check if it's got the latest firmware.
    If you're on wireless, try wired.
    This guy here has a rather similar problem, also with a speedport router.

Also try doing nothing for a bit, then launch NS2, do not open the server browser, just open the console and type connect 176.57.145.13. See if it still gives that error.

Do you perhaps have a spare router or can ask anyone to lend you one to test with?
    Can you join off of a friend?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    To be fair, I think this UDP flood issue may cost us some players. People connect on a wireless and see no players/servers, so they think the game is dead.

I nearly gave up because there was nothing I could do to fix it. I was lucky I found a solution that worked for me, but some people are forced to use wireless.

If there is something that can be done to fix this issue, I think it would be a really good idea..
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    it can also be beneficial to check if the wifi drivers are fully up to date.
    Thank guys for the answers.
    Because i hate WLAN i don´t use it. My PC is connected with a cable. The Firmware of my Router is up to date.
    We have tested it like you said inviting me by a friend but i get the same error "couldn't establish connection with server"
    Also the same error when i try to connect via console without clicking on the server browser.

I´ve tried also to open the ports (altough i don´t open a server) but it´s not better.

NS2 is one of the best games i´ve played at it would be sad if i can´t play it anymore.
    Silly idea but who knows: Scout the advanced windows firewall setting for ns2.exe and whether there's a block entry. Add allow entries.
    edited October 2014
    We have tested it like you said inviting me by a friend but i get the same error "couldn't establish connection with server"
    Also the same error when i try to connect via console without clicking on the server browser.
    This rules out flooding. It may not.

Your router does in fact have DMZ settings.
    https://www.ote.gr/documents/10280/41674657/Manual_SpeedportW724VType+Ci_OTE_EN.pdf/3e434c45-e287-475a-8336-8b52f6d81c88
    Page 79

It really depends on where he lives, for the german telecom version, i can't spot a dmz setting (Neither type a nor type b hardware version). The manual you found there is from greece? It's got a rather different firmware.
    In any case, my bet is on the router at this point.
    You don't have to DMZ it if you can just bypass it entirely and go directly into your modem, if you have one.
    edited September 2014
    I´ve checked my complete router settings. There is no DMZ. My GUI is also different from yours.
    The idea with the firewall was nearly the first thing i checked. I´ve tried it without firewall but it wasn´t better. ;)
    I´ve tried again to connect to some servers. And i could connect to one (see picture) which had no player. Why i can connect to this server and not to the other? My Router don´t make differences between servers.
    By the way. Now i see only 2 server. My filter you can also see on picture.
    edited September 2014
    I've got a spare Fritz!Box 3270 v3 that I can send to you for testing. It's an ADSL+ (no VDSL) router without any telephony capability, but it'll do for that purpose. Let me know if you want to try that.

There's also the option to set your current router to Modem only mode and set up PPPOE on your pc. Not sure if that's too complicated tho.
    edited September 2014
    My Router don´t make differences between servers.
    It can, actually. Especially if the ports are different

But i think i may see a problem:

Thanks for that screenshot.
    You've clicked "history" or in your case "Chronik" in the top right. This will only show the history of servers you have joined, which is why it only shows 1 or 2.

Select "All" to the left
    Sorry but do you really think i´m so newbie not to know where to find all servers? I only clicked on history to show you the server i could join. This are the servers (picture) i see and only 1 i can join which is 24/7 empty. :(
    And i´ve got my router now nearly a year. The day i´ve got and the month after NS2 worked well. Since the last patch i´ve got problems. So i don´t understand why you search the failure in my configuration. Nothing changed in my config since the last patch.
    I don´t know if there is a different version of the game so i couldn´t join to nearly all server but my steam says that my NS2 is up to date and has no failure in his data. Even after a reinstall NS2 don´t worked like it should.
    Thanks AFT for your prupose but this is no way i could go. I don´t buy a other router because of a game. (I´ve got a Fritzbox before my Speedport and also NS2 worked well)
    Can you bypass your router at least to rule it out? Go straight to your modem if you can't flash to a better firmware that allows DMZ

Also have you ensured that you absolutely do not have any anti virus or firewall software running? Currently both Comodo and Avira interfere with NS2
    Sorry but do you really think i´m so newbie not to know where to find all servers? I only clicked on history to show you the server i could join. This are the servers (picture) i see and only 1 i can join which is 24/7 empty. :(
    And i´ve got my router now nearly a year. The day i´ve got and the month after NS2 worked well. Since the last patch i´ve got problems. So i don´t understand why you search the failure in my configuration. Nothing changed in my config since the last patch.
    I don´t know if there is a different version of the game so i couldn´t join to nearly all server but my steam says that my NS2 is up to date and has no failure in his data. Even after a reinstall NS2 don´t worked like it should.
    Thanks AFT for your prupose but this is no way i could go. I don´t buy a other router because of a game. (I´ve got a Fritzbox before my Speedport and also NS2 worked well)

Then you have to stick either with using web serverbrowser like http://www.gametracker.com/search/ns2/ or just use the attached FavoriteServers.json (copy it into %appdata%/Natural Selection 2) which also contains the top 100 ranked ns2 servers.
    Done it but "couldn't establish connection with server". With all servers on your list. Even the link you gave me. Not 1 server i can join :((
    It´s frustraiting. It´s interessting that every server has a ping of 999 if i update the list several times it change to normal with pings between 50 and 150.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    You can try to analyze Wireshark logs to see what is not passing through (if there is a network-savvy developer available).
    edited September 2014
    devel wrote: »
    You can try to analyze Wireshark logs to see what is not passing through (if there is a network-savvy developer available).

There is no need to use wireshark, just use net_log 2 in the console before connecting ;) Overall this issue sounds super strange to me, what av ( anti-virus ) software do you use exactly @shinduke?
    I use kaspersky but for the test with NS 2 i turn it off. I tried to connect with a server using net_log 2 to see whats happening. You can see it in the picture. By the way my firewall and AV is off in this test.
    edited September 2014
    Looking at the screenshot you clearly see that not even the first connect handshake packet is able to reach the servers. It seems like something is blocking the outgoing traffic on port 27015.
    I myself use kaspersky and never had any issue with ns2 so i wouldn't say kaspersky is causing these issues. To me it seems like there is something totally off with your router (network).

Can you try to trace to one ns2 server?

1. Press win + r and type in cmd
    2. Type in tracert 176.57.132.54 and press enter

If that works well port forward port 27015-27016 (TCP) at your router ( yes i have seen that ns2 worked fine for you but something is not working at your network )

Try to connect to the server then by opening ns2 and the console with connect 176.57.132.54:27015 (run net_log 2 again before you connect)
    Sorry it took so long to answer. Like you can see in the pictures i have already tested to open the ports. Connecting to a server via console don´t work. Trace is fine but i still can´t connect to any server :(