Can´t connect to any Server.

MerilyaMerilya Deutschland Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198190Members
Hi everybody,

I hope you guys have a quick solution for me. I was playing Natural Selection 2 when it was still in Alpha and really enjoyed it. At one Point the Game stopped working for me ( Cant connect to Server ) , at that time i figured it might be a bug what will be resolved soon. Well its been quite a while since then and today i tried to play again, with no luck. I still cant connect to any server.

What i tried so far:
Opening port 27015 / 27016 TCP/UDP in my Router
Reinstalling the Game
Reinstalling my PC

Without success.

I dont get any message in the console. It just says loading Main Menu after "Connecting *IP* "

If you need further information , just ask away. I hope together we can find a solution because right now, this is really frustrating for me :<

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Are you using wireless or wired internet connection?

Can you connect to a game of NS2 if you join a friend who is playing?

What type of router are you using?

It sounds like the flooding packet issue, the answers to the above questions will determine that. If that is not it, we'll have to look at other questions to help diagnose the issue.
  • MerilyaMerilya Deutschland Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198190Members
    Im useing Wireless Connection.
    My Router is a Speedport W921V

I dont know if joining a friend works, cant try right now because nobody is online :<

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    As it is wireless, you are probably experiencing udp flooding, as the server browser checks servers online, some routers on wireless block the massive number of udp requests as some form of attack.

If you can go wired, I would highly recommend it. I couldn't wire directly so used plug socket network extenders, which worked a treat.

Failing that you could try reducing the In-Game Server Browser Max Pings /Minute in steam>settings, but it didn't make a difference for me personally, I had to go the wired mains plug route mentioned above.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    A similar post this week relating to flooding : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135466/really-bad-lag#latest

Just in case its something more obivous though, can you please attempt to connect to a server, and when you fail to, exit immediately and run your techsupport.exe which is located in your NS2 folder, and then upload the zip file here.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    NS2 folder with techsupport.exe is: \STEAM\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\

Is there a chance that someone blocked that kind of traffic/port in your router?
    And I don't mean the port forwarding, that's not used for clients, only if you host a server.
    I mean something like you'd find under "Internet - Filter und Zeitschaltung".
    Router Manual (in german) page 125

Have you tried connecting to a server without first going into the server browser?
    You can do that by opening the console and typing connect 176.57.132.54

You said you reinstalled your pc, but did you also reinstall any type of internet protection software / antivirus?
  • MerilyaMerilya Deutschland Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198190Members
    Okay connecting with the "connect" command works like a charm. I guess that means its the flooding issue.
    Atleast I can play now so thanks for the help everyone!
    Gonna try picking up a plug socket extender to see if the server browser works when im wired.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    I'd be interested to read an update about this @Merilya . Especially whether you found the router as the culprit and was it a setting?