[TOOL] Quick Arc Range

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited August 2014 in Mapping
UPDATE: It seems everyone (myself included) is getting false positives now when downloading this because of the BAT file... JAR seems to work fine though.

Hey everybody. Just finished up making a new tool for spark! This one let's you quickly create a 32 sided cylinder around your tech_point and resource_point entities so you can see where arcs can reach.
gK2ybac.jpg
XyFNgoX.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4dphqktmkoxaup/QuickArcRange.zip
NEW LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvbl80atnelkukt/QuickArcRange.jar?dl=1

Installation:
1) Drop the JAR file into your Natural Selection 2 directory (not "ns2", the one up above that level)
2) Create a BAT file with the following text in it (including quotes): "%~dp0\QuickArcRange.jar" save this BAT into the same directory as the JAR from step 1.
3) Add the external tool in the editor. This one has no arguments, so for "command" just navigate to the BAT, and then make sure you surround the name with double quotes. Here's what mine looks like:
Jx7i9GZ.jpg
4) Ensure you have JRE 8 (Java Runtime Environment 8) installed. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Usage:
1) Select all the "tech_point" and "resource_point" entities you want to test the range of. Copy them to the clipboard (Ctrl + C).
2) Run the tool.
3) Paste in the editor (Ctrl + V).

You should now have some bright pink cylinders floating around your TPs and RTs now. :) If you don't... slow down a bit. Run the tool, pause for a sec, THEN ctrl+v... it takes a sec to work. One thing to note, you have 30 seconds after running the tool to paste the geometry. The reason being that typically, whenever an application exits, if it has modified the clipboard, the clipboard is cleared (and spark is no exception, by the way). Now, rather than allowing tons of instances of java.exe to clog up your system, I have made it so the program will close 30 seconds after modifying the clipboard. Plenty of time. :)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Anybody know why all this is getting flagged as malware? :/

EDIT: Hmm... chrome doesn't like completely benign BAT files... alright then... bastards... new link in OP and revised installation instructions.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    You could also use this https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zmen0ag6ca14my/editor_setup.xml?dl=0
    arc_range_circle
    ip_range_circle
    Creates a range circle prop, though your tool also works well
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Or you could use that. :)

(Infantry Portal range? :/)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Yes, for finding max range for pre-placed IPs
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Yes, for finding max range for pre-placed IPs

Add in a draw-distance range and I'm sold. :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2014
    Is this tool still working? Because I just manage to freeze the editor with it.

edit: And doing so the tool was completely purged from my "External Tools" list apparently.

edit2: Nvmd, fixed it myself.

edit: And doing so the tool was completely purged from my "External Tools" list apparently.

To clarify: you did get it working?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

To clarify: you did get it working?

Yes. It was a problem on my end.
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    judihui. works fine, helps well allready.