Random Crashing

AegisEdgeAegisEdge Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197827Members
Hello everyone. After fixing that awful Respawn Crashing with the hint videos, I am now presented with a new problem. Honestly I have done so much testing, I can't get my head around the issue. Essentially, the game will randomly freeze and become unresponsive, once this has happened around about half the time it will ask me to submit the crash information and then sometimes it won't at all and I must kill the process to end it. I can not find any common denominator among the crashing, only that it will happen in game on either team at any given moment, both on the ground or as a commander with various settings tested on all. I have currently disable all of the new features that came with 267, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Here is my Tech file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lvn0jm52lf06k0/tech_support.zip

I hope someone can come up with an idea as to why this is happening.

Thank you.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    When NS2 crashes and the process is still open (even if the window is black) run techsupport.exe located in your ns2 folder.
    This will create a dump file in a techsupport.zip for the devs to look over.
    Upload it to Dropbox or somewhere and link it here, it will be a large file.
    Thanks
  • Matt_BLahMatt_BLah Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58269Members
    I am having an issue similar to AegisEdge. Sometimes the game will completely lock up. Now on Marines it will recover 99% of the time and I can keep playing. On Aliens it locks up completely and I have to kill the process. I will provide a tech zip shortly, trying 2 more things to see if it continues, but I am sure it will! (yarg)
    Here are 2 different crashes. First is a standard server, the other a combat server. Both crashes when on aliens.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7v9m5fBhUQRcjdKaWNNNFRjTVk
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Matt_BLah‌
    Were you sure you kept the NS2 window/process running and open before running techsupport.exe?
    There's no dump folder or file in there.. :(
    edited August 2014
    dang you are right. i dun goofed. I will get new ones uploaded soon (tm)

Edit: Welp, I saw a post about tips, turns out it was that. Turned them off and no issues...
  • aseeriaseeri Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164872Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well at least link the solutions you found...im also experiencing this random freeze and it forces me to force end task ns2. The freeze has started since the optimization update (most recent one).
    @aseeri‌ the only known solution until we can patch it is disabling "show hints" and "commander help" for this build.
    If that doesn't fix it please follow my instructions listed previously in here
  • scfns_azmanscfns_azman Join Date: 2003-11-21 Member: 23309Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ironhorse to save me starting another topic on the issue here's my logfile of my latest crash. I don't have hints turned on and the crashes are random although maybe more alien based if possible, have been noticing more rubber-banding since the last patch, no idea if this is relevant or not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2iflpoB2TZqSl9kTFV1TEpfQnc/edit?usp=sharing

• AegisEdgeAegisEdge Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197827Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @aseeri‌ the only known solution until we can patch it is disabling "show hints" and "commander help" for this build.
    If that doesn't fix it please follow my instructions listed previously in here

Sorry, not to add to the confusion here, but these issue are unrelated as I had the previous issue, which had a 100% crash rate for a singular instance which sadly was unavoidable. This issue is unique in that it happens without any sign of cause.

To be quite honest I haven't been playing because of the issue and have no real interest in playing while the issue is still there, especially as I put in so many hours of testing to resolve the last issue. I have literally never had an issue with NS2 until the most recent build. I will try and get it to crash for you again now.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    @ironhorse to save me starting another topic on the issue here's my logfile of my latest crash. I don't have hints turned on and the crashes are random although maybe more alien based if possible, have been noticing more rubber-banding since the last patch, no idea if this is relevant or not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2iflpoB2TZqSl9kTFV1TEpfQnc/edit?usp=sharing

I have noticed the same behaviour, random crashes from time to time and rubberbanding. Rubberbanding hitches occur irregularly but when they do they are huge, biggest hitches I've ever had with the game. Theyre also real rubberbanding, hitches have just been stalls before the latest patch.

Physics multi-threading on. Otherwise the game is smoother this patch, just a few new kinks.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Could you guys enable net_stats if you notice a hitch and make screenshot please?
  • Mr_ChainsawMr_Chainsaw Join Date: 2014-08-13 Member: 197946Members
    edited August 2014
    Hello everyone.

I have some updates for the random crashings.

1st: For me it has nothing to do with tooltips. They are off anyway.

2nd: I think it is a problem with AMD graphics.

3rd: It happens only since 267.

I tried it on 3 machines now. One with Nvidia Graphics. There I had not a single crash.
    The other two mashines have AMD HD 7800 Series. On Both I encounter random crashes.

I also tried to install an older graphics driver but that did not help either.

I can provide dumps as well, but they are quite large.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 GHz Edition with the latest beta driver amd-catalyst-14.7-rc1-windows-july9.
    Could you guys enable net_stats if you notice a hitch and make screenshot please?

Here is a screenshot right after a noticeable hitch, and a plog that may have something.
  • SchnirkeSchnirke Germany Join Date: 2014-08-11 Member: 197921Members
    Got the same problem with my ATI HD7850 and the latest driver since the last 267 build. Sometimes the debugger with "minidump" and "log.txt" error appears. I read in another post that build 268 will fix the issue. When can we expect the new build?
    Okay, now i am really confused...

I tried the integrated Intel graphic on one machine with the AMD graphics. It still crashes. Also I asked other players about their hardware and for some people with the very same card it seems to work fine.

Also I dont know what the two machines with AMD graphics have in common except for the graphics card.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    *raises hand* nvidia uses physx, perhaps there is a issue with physx on non nvidia systems.
  • SchnirkeSchnirke Germany Join Date: 2014-08-11 Member: 197921Members
    @Mr_Chainsaw: I also heared that GeForce user have the same issue. Maybe it is a software problem (C++, Net. Framework, etc... -> I don't know if these programs are used in NS2)
  • BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    Graphics and CPU AMD, Radeon 6900 and Phenom II 1100 X6, random crashing as well.
    Trying to catch a tech dump, unfortunately NS2 is ending itself when it crashes now.
    Schnirke wrote: »
    @Mr_Chainsaw: I also heared that GeForce user have the same issue. Maybe it is a software problem (C++, Net. Framework, etc... -> I don't know if these programs are used in NS2)

Could be, but on a freshly installed machine (like one I tested) unlikely.

• ismo1221ismo1221 Turkey Join Date: 2014-08-15 Member: 197981Members
    edited August 2014
    Schnirke wrote: »
    Got the same problem with my ATI HD7850 and the latest driver since the last 267 build. Sometimes the debugger with "minidump" and "log.txt" error appears. I read in another post that build 268 will fix the issue. When can we expect the new build?

I have ATI HD 7850 too and i have the exact same problem. Debugger with minidump and log.txt error.
  • AegisEdgeAegisEdge Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197827Members
    I think I said this before but I use an SLI Nvidia 780 and it crashes if the SLI is on or off. Annoyingly, I have played a few games now and then just to attempt to re-create the crash, but funnily enough it has run flawlessly when I actually WANT the issue to happen -.-

This is going to be a hard case to crack. I also tried on this machine after re-formatting the PC and on a fresh install with the only things installed are up to date drivers, steam and NS2, but it has crashed since unfortunately.
    A dump file would definitely help if this happens to you again..
  • scfns_azmanscfns_azman Join Date: 2003-11-21 Member: 23309Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ironhorse new crash report this time in ns2+ rather than vanilla so may or may not be valid.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2iflpoB2TZqRm9vdFRQVjhCUkk/edit?usp=sharing

do you know what the problem is from reports people are giving you?? or is it still not 100%
  • KerfuffleKerfuffle Join Date: 2014-03-15 Member: 194748Members
    I have crashed FIVE times yesterday, and THREE times today within an HOUR. (No tooltips on like everyone else). This is extremely irritating and please get a hot fix out once you guys solve the problem!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    I have crashed FIVE times yesterday, and THREE times today within an HOUR. (No tooltips on like everyone else). This is extremely irritating and please get a hot fix out once you guys solve the problem!

@Kerfuffle Just saying you're crashing doesn't help us track down your issue I'm afraid. Our psychic powers are not that good ;-)

If NS2.exe crashes, please run techsupport.exe while it is left open and crashed, and upload the file it creates to us here.
  • KerfuffleKerfuffle Join Date: 2014-03-15 Member: 194748Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Kerfuffle wrote: »

@Kerfuffle Just saying you're crashing doesn't help us track down your issue I'm afraid. Our psychic powers are not that good ;-)

If NS2.exe crashes, please run techsupport.exe while it is left open and crashed, and upload the file it creates to us here.

Yes I understand, I haven't caught it again since my post (and will be busy this week). Just wanted to add myself to the list of having said problem, since I haven't heard complaints from my friends. Better to know it isn't an isolated incident and instead something multiple people are experiencing, yes? My post wasn't at all to add frustration nor a negative attitude if that's how you read it. Just wanted to emphasize how common this has been - at least for me.

If I see another crash I'll try and record it, but I'm not sure what time I'll have for NS this week.
  • HellsHells Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188437Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Since this update my game has been crashing pretty much non-stop. Recently it has gotten a lot worse with it crashing at least once a game. It seems to happen the most when i either a) Join a team b) round start or c) load in from map change. The tech support file for me isn't possible to upload because its 500MB and that will take at least 2 hours on my net. If this was smaller i would be able too but i cant upload that file because of its ridiculous size.This build seems to have completely fucked my game. All other builds had nothing even close to this constant bullshit. No offence but this is getting ridiculous, i can hardly play the game in this state.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    I crash often 2-3 times after game change map , change resolution to window mode

But its not affect gameplay much , usually these crash happen each time 1-2 hours during gameplay so i can join other server

Oh BTW im find out a "constant crash " after 5-6 hours gameplay >>> Window show up aftercrash "Failed to allocate 23346546 bla bla Bytes and now NS2 will terminated" :))
    Anyone still having issues?