A confusing FPS drop

2»

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    As others have suspectred, it might be some kind of hardware issue, possibly heat related.

Please download this program and give us screenshots of the CPU temperatures when Idle (not running NS2 or anything) and also when running NS2 in-game.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/

Cheers!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Speedfan is a free program. Download it, run both cpu-z and Speedfan when running ns2 or prime (or anything that should accomplish 100% cpu usage)

You should see your clock rate dipping coinciding with temperature levels.
    This should be confirmed with this method or similar before you actually reseat the cpu heat sink and thermal paste.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    hmmm alright I'll see what I can do, do you guys have any reccomended cooling systems for my specs?
    and ty all for your help :)
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    of course by the time I say anything I realize my screen hadn't updated and that you guys have already given me some things to check out :)

So after letting the computer sit in idle with only this browser on and it seems to pick a temp of 56 C
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    sounds bad.. You already confirmed that your frequency is behaving odd!

go download prime95. A free program used to calculate prime numbers and stresstest. Enable the torture test, pick max heat.
    Now ALSO open the performance monitor again.

That frequency MUST MUST be 100%+. If you have a higher temp with prime, while the frequency is not going up it may not be heat related. Then its much MUCH more severe as something hardware is bottlenecking your cpu.
    Settings cant really do this if your bios is set to standard, so you most likely have a broken board or cpu then.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    And adding to that ^
    Please check the temps when doing so... as idle temps mean very little unless they are reaching maximum (typically ~100 C)
    We need to see "under load" temps
    Where do I find the max heat option? here is a screenshot.
    nvm I fail
    after looking at my own pic I found it
    Alright this is going to sound stupid, but is the frequency thing the blue line, in the meantime here's a screen shot of me working my comp
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited July 2014
    Did you OC or are you on stock frequency for your cpu?
    Because its showing a nonstop average of 23% under full load. That is.... very bad.

Temps seem ok... do they drop somewhat if you do not run prime? (im assuming the value column is the actual one and that the cores are the temps we need, I dont use this specific program myself)

Redo the test with cpu-z open also please. While you do that keep a eye on the temps, and see how much they change. (CPU and cores)

>edit, talking with iron atm.. Definately also do the same pics while idle!<
    edited July 2014
    Notice how you are running only 23% of your maximum CPU frequency when running prime95??
    Also notice how temp sensor #1 named CPU CORE is 99 C degrees? That's the cut off temperature for most CPUs before they begin downclocking themselves to prevent melting ;)
    You are overheating, good sir

I'd shut your system down, unplug the power cord, ensure you take care to discharge static electricity from your body by touching a sharp corner in your case, then reseat your CPU CAREFULLY ENSURING NOT TO BEND ANY PINS > reapply the thermal grease properly > reseat the heatsink
    Then try the same test after rebooting.
    reapply thermal paste:
    as this as possible! I myself use a old creditcard to spread it evenly.
    make sure the cooling is on level.
    its unlikely the cpu itself is placed incorrect. That would cause.... different issues
    stock frequency. Temps drop heavily as soon as prime stops running. It took it two minutes from when I stopped prime to when it dropped back to 56 C. from 99 C. On startup of the stress test temps begin to skyrocket up till 99 C where they stop on the CPU core.
    1.png 1.7M
    Again 99 degrees celcius is the maximum temp for most CPUs before they automatically downclock themselves to prevent melting / breaking.
    Don't run your CPU at this temp for very long.
    You 100% have heating issues. At least you know where to look now ;)
    Goodluck and Godspeed. Check online for tips on seating the heatsink and applying thermal paste... opinions vary GREATLY on that topic (i'd never use a credit card like darkling.. i believe in centered dime sized pea, for example)
    knowing now that the 99c is infact the cpu temp and that your temp drops....
    DO check your temp first.

Im still not 100% sure your cpu isnt damaged, but heat issues is a very very VERY strong reason atm. I will assume heat until proven otherwise. 99 is way to high indeed.
    You see that atm you barely reach a frequency of 900. Seems about right with the freq %.

GO CHECK THE COOLING and for f sake let this thing cool down a bit. :p
    hahahaha alright I've give my poor comp a break :P thanks alot you guys I appreciate your help
  • Squish8294Squish8294 United States Join Date: 2014-07-21 Member: 197537Members
    Got with Nailo, did a quick skype call with him, had him open core temp. 80 C @ Idle even with stock heatsink is no bueno. Going to have him reseat the CPU fan & Heatsink and possibly get a corsair h80i or h100i, along with thermal paste.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for not blaming NS2 @Nailo. Actually since NS2 is the most CPU intensive game out there, it WAS NS2 which showed up a real hardware issue with your CPU cooling. So, NS2 for the win?

It's a good job too, at 99oC using just 27% CPU speed, your CPU would probably die an early death. Thanks @Squish8294 for helping him out as well. It does seem like either the thermal paste was not applied properly, or some kind of cooling issue is happening.

Best of luck!
    Thanks everyone for the help once again. I have it fixed and NS2 runs beautifully. @Obraxis‌ your welcome although I kinda had a good reason to suspect a issue on my end. When I first started NS2 on my computer it played just as well, it was only later that it started playing poorly. I knew their were no major changes to the game to make me have that serious of an issue. NS2 is one of my favorite games and I'm glad I can get back into things. My core temps hardly break a sweat with ns2 now :)

Now if all of you will excuse me, I have to go polish my skills once more so that I'm not absolutely murdered by every comp player out there hahahaha
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is the best community forum on the planet. The amount of patience displayed in here is truly remarkable.

Restoration of faith in humanity: Complete.