Trim Tutorial (s?)

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited July 2014 in Mapping
Was bored, so I recorded a quick demonstration for how to trim around a corner (ie getting the edges to blend seamlessly at an angle).

Sorry about the audio being a little bit quiet.

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I was contemplating this topic for a tutorial myself the other day. :D I personally would've kept the vertices on gid (only need to stretch the diagonal texture from 1 to 1.06), but that's personal preference.

EDIT: I added your video to the NS2SCC Third Party Mapping Tutorials playlist.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I was contemplating this topic for a tutorial myself the other day. :D I personally would've kept the vertices on grid (only need to stretch the diagonal texture from 1 to 1.06), but that's personal preference.

EDIT: I added your video to the NS2SCC Third Party Mapping Tutorials playlist.

Yea I try to keep on-grid as much as possible, but the OCD part of me just won't let me "fix" it like that.

That 1->1.06 cheat doesn't carry over for other angles, however. :) There's a few spots in the Colony detailing where I've got a 45 degree angle, beveled once, so there's some 22.5 degree trim in the middle of the corner. I'll make another video soon on how to adjust the edges that are at 45 degrees so they intersect properly (45 degrees... what axis do you use for that?? ;) )
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'll rotate and scale my textures to silly numbers, just to keep my vertices on grid. :D