NS2 store page (steam): please update it

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
for convenience when discussing about this, here is the current description as it can be seen on the steam store page (or if you prefer a direct link: store.steampowered.com/app/4920/)
Reviews
"NS2 is a genius mash of Counter Strike and Starcraft"
– Kotaku
"This is getting close to my idea of the ultimate game"
– Machinima

Digital Deluxe Edition
The Digital Deluxe Edition includes:

Official Soundtrack
Almost 1 hour of tribal, industrial music composed by David John and Simon Chylinski. This includes all the music from our trailers and videos.

Digital Art Book
40+ pages of concept art by Cory Strader, including environments, creatures, weapons and more. Cory discusses the process behind designing the unique technological/animal look in the game.

Exclusive Wallpapers and Avatars
Community artist Rantology created some of the best and most unique views of creatures in the NS universe. Custom Steam avatars complete the package.

Exclusive in-game marine model
A new marine model with custom visor and equipment makes you look distinctive in-game. Existing owners of the original "Black Armor" marine will be able to choose between any models they own.

About the Game
Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival. It seamlessly combines shooter and RTS/strategy gameplay.
Key Features:
Two Unique Sides:

Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the vicious alien Kharaa, you must use unique strategies and your abilities to win. Marines form persistent squads to find and destroy alien hives. Aliens can choose a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos that can smash through doors.
Real-time Strategy:

Commanders play from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy. Aliens build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.
Dynamic Environments:

Use a flamethrower to clear the spreading alien infestation. Aliens destroy power nodes knock out the lights and power down marine structures. Random start locations mean you must scout your enemy and before committing to a build. Every game is different.
Unlimited Variations:

WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You’ll get all our tools (level editor, cinematic tool and more) as well as the full Lua source code to Natural Selection 2. Version 1.0 is just the beginning – ongoing automatic updates keep the game fresh by adding new maps, weapons and abilities. Steam Workshop support and auto-downloading makes playing and distributing mods automatic - and gameplay always fresh.

ok first of all, is the CDT able to apply changes to this text directly? if not, will UWE apply the changes for them, or at least consider them? is it a good idea to make changes in general or are there steam-related issues with that (policy or technical)?

in case it's quite possible to make adjustments without any major issues, let's discuss some points that could possibly be improved.
you could consider this nitpicking but out of all text sources influencing a buy-or-not-decision this is among the most important ones, so it might be worth to polish it as good as possible.
Marines form persistent squads to find and destroy alien hives.
well, Commanders can put Marines in control groups but the word "persistent" seems misleading, maybe scratch that?
gigantic Onos that can smash through doors.
i know marketing is quite important but this one is clearly false advertising. probably accidential because this feature was planned early on and it was actually somehow present in the game for quite a while. but now it's not and it doesn't seem to make a comeback anytime soon, if at all.
Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy.
I guess siege cannons refer to ARCs, consider renaming "cannons" or adding a "deployable"/"mobile". It also seems a bit inconsistent to mention "buy weapons at an Armory" after talking about Commanding in that paragraph, especially in combination with ARCs.
Aliens build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.
"plant traps" refers to hydras and/or whips, possibly also shades? personally i think it's ok to leave it like that. but one could still consider pointing out other features instead.
Use a flamethrower to clear the spreading alien infestation.
is this due to early plans of dynamic infestation or for marketing? the flame thrower is indeed very useful for reducing infestation but it still seems like an odd thing to point out, e.g. instead of listing all the other equipment marines can use.
Random start locations mean you must scout your enemy and before committing to a build.
i'd not go as far as to call this false advertising (e.g. close spawns justify an early second IP) but consider reworking this phrase, at very least to fix the "and" in there.

i'd also like to point out that exosuits, jetpacks, mines, welders, shotguns and grenade launchers are not mentioned at all. apparently parts of this text are a bit dated, so maybe there are some more interesting features not pointed out yet, while others seem not as good to point out from a current point of view?

as seen in other threads and steam reviews, this game seems somehow targeted at people with a more competitive mindset (as in: not for casaul players) and people have suggested that this could be put to use by marketing it as challenge (e.g. similar to dark souls). this is certainly highly subjective and for devs to decide, but it seems worth mentioning in this thread at least. personally, i'd at least mention the potential for competitive play for those who like it e.g. that there are quite some tournaments.

Comments

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Was the onos door stomp ever in the game? I just remember the trailers making the game seem pretty awesome.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Been trying to get this done for a looooooong time now
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are probably a lot of things that would be good to have on the store page.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe some reverse-psychology marketing:
    "WARNING NS2 is a hard game and will not appeal to all players. DO NOT BUY if you dont enjoy teamplay, communication and a steep learning curve."
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    CCTEE wrote: »
    "WARNING NS2 is a hard game and will not appeal to all players. DO NOT BUY if you dont enjoy teamplay, communication and a steep learning curve."

could actually work. hasn't darksouls done something similar?

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mephilles wrote: »

Now that you mention it... yes, there was something about Dark Souls...
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I awesome your awesomeness @F0rdPrefect‌ . Are you on holidays? I see you alot on the forums atm.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I awesome your awesomeness @F0rdPrefect‌ . Are you on holidays? I see you alot on the forums atm.

Yes :D
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    bumping this (just this once, promise) because i feel it's too relevant for sales to not deal with this.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It would be great to get this fixed. The CDT currently does not have a proper "PR" person (at least nobody with that title). While the CDT can not directly update the store page, it can give UWE a proposal for a new store page text (even if i'm not sure about the specifics of that procedure). So if somebody would come up with a good text, it could certainly be submitted to UWE for consideration (with no guarantee on it being accepted at all or when it would be updated).
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Here's my attempt at an update for the text in question:
    About the Game
    Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival. It seamlessly combines shooter and RTS/strategy gameplay.

Key Features:

Two Unique Sides:

Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the vicious alien Kharaa, you must combine your combat and tactical abilities with teamwork and strategy to win. The marine team must eliminate all alien hives, aided by researching an arsenal of powerful, xenoform-destroying technology. Aliens must eviscerate their human opponents' command centers, relying on evolution to powerful lifeforms. Kharaa players can become a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos.

Real-time Strategy:

The Commander for each team plays from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. The Frontiersmen's Commander can research advanced upgrades and weapons for his marines to buy, build sentry turrets and mobile siege cannons, and support and direct the Frontiersmen to control resources and coordinate assaults on enemy strongholds. The Kharaa Commander can build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities, provide combat support for the aliens and plant traps.

Dynamic Environments:

As marines, use teamwork, advanced weaponry and superior strategy to attack and clear alien-infested territory. As aliens, destroy power nodes to knock out the lights and power down marine structures. Dynamic start locations mean you must scout your enemy before committing to a build. Every game is different.

Unlimited Variations:

WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You’ll get all our tools (level editor, cinematic tool and more) as well as the full Lua source code to Natural Selection 2. Together with our Community Development Team, we are committed to ensuring the best possible gaming experience in Natural Selection 2 through ongoing automatic updates. Steam Workshop support and auto-downloading makes playing and distributing mods automatic - and keeps the gameplay fresh.

Roo
    Needs to be more specific when you describe the Marines/Aliens. Instead of just saying that marines have a huge arsenal, mention shotgun and flamethrower for example. (And jetpacks. And Exos...)

Plus new players need an impression what sort of upgrades aliens can get. I'd mention "speed" and "stealth" upgrades for a start.

Minor nitpick: "NS2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter" needs more adjectives.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Just hurry up and get rid of the part about onoses smashing through doors at least. This is really something that needs to be nipped in the bud as soon as possible.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Needs to be more specific when you describe the Marines/Aliens. Instead of just saying that marines have a huge arsenal, mention shotgun and flamethrower for example. (And jetpacks. And Exos...)

Plus new players need an impression what sort of upgrades aliens can get. I'd mention "speed" and "stealth" upgrades for a start.

Minor nitpick: "NS2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter" needs more adjectives.

Feel free to adapt my version ;)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

if only super hexagon offered the same warning...... I miss my 99 cents :(
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @ezekel, hurry up to make a refund from Valve! Or go directly to your card's issuer and make a chargeback!

Or just spend a 15 minutes walking on the street and looking down xDDD
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Here's my attempt at an update for the text in question:
    About the Game
    Natural Selection 2 is an immersive, multiplayer shooter that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival. Real time Strategy and First Person Shooter elements are seamlessly combined to create a game like no other. Be warned, this game will test your abilities to their limits, and then some.

Key Features:

Two Unique Sides:

Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the mysterious alien Kharaa, you must combine your combat and tactical prowess with teamwork and strategy to win. To win, the marine team must exterminate all alien hives. They will need the firepower provided by an arsenal of powerful, xenoform-destroying technology composed of everything from trusty Shotguns to impressive Exosuits. The aliens must eviscerate their human opponents' command centers to purge the intruders and egg-breakers. They must adapt to the threat, relying on an accelerated evolution to morph into powerful lifeforms. Kharaa players can become a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos.

Real-time Strategy:

The Commander for each team plays from an overhead view to lead their team to victory. They must build structures, collect resources and research upgrades in an effort to out-tech the enemy team and bring them to their knees.

The Marine's Commander can research upgrades and weapons, invest in base defense and mobile artillery, coordinate his troops in their assault and support them directly as they try to shoot, burn, slash, stomp and blow up the alien team.

The Kharaa Commander can build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities, spread infestation, grow support structures and provide combat buffs for the aliens as they seek to bite, chew, gore, swipe and spit on the marine team.

Dynamic Environments:

As marines, use teamwork, advanced weaponry and superior strategy to attack and clear alien-infested territory. As aliens, destroy power nodes to knock out the lights and power down marine structures. Dynamic start locations on different maps mean you must scout your enemy before committing to a build. Every game is different.

Unlimited Variations:

WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You’ll get all our tools (level editor, cinematic tool and more) as well as the full Lua source code to Natural Selection 2. Together with our Community Development Team, we are committed to ensuring the best possible gaming experience in Natural Selection 2 through ongoing automatic updates. Steam Workshop support and auto-downloading makes playing and distributing mods automatic - and keeps the gameplay fresh.

Roo
    I went through and made it a little more Epic sounding in areas.
    ezekel wrote: »

if only super hexagon offered the same warning...... I miss my 99 cents :(

I don't see the problem with that game. The soundtrack is awesome and it's nicely challenging.

And yes, I got all achievements :P

#shamelesslybragging
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    this is being looked at by Obraxis and Myself, we hope to have an update to the page very soon with the help of UWE. Thanks for the input!