Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server

DigduckDigduck US Join Date: 2014-05-02 Member: 195729Members
After the Kodiak update I am getting this 'Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server' message over and over after trying to join any servers.

I have tried

• Delete the folder drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders
• Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) and type %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2 then press enter.
• Delete all the files in this folder
• Verify the Integrity of the NS2 Game Cache
• You can also try deleting the local Steam files for NS2 and reinstall NS2.

All of these and none of those worked out.
I just bought upcoming dlc also and this is just makes me angry again.

Comments

• DigduckDigduck US Join Date: 2014-05-02 Member: 195729Members
    Great I found the solution.

1. Delete NS2
    2. Delete all files in windows start -> type in run box -> %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2 folder
    3. Uninstall Steam
    4. Search and delete all steam and natural selection files in windows start-> type in run box ->regedit
    5. Uninstall your virus and firewall program such as comodo , MSE, Northern.
    6. Restart the PC
    7. Install Steam
    8. Install NS2
    9. After Install start play or optimize NS2
    10. Exit NS2 and install your virus and firewall Program.

Thank you.
  • DigduckDigduck US Join Date: 2014-05-02 Member: 195729Members
    Seems like Cmodo is not friendly with NS2. I am not sure about the other anti virus and firewall programs but if you are having trouble, try turn off while playing ns2.
    It worked for me after all the steps I did on above method.
  • OkPatateOkPatate France Join Date: 2014-05-03 Member: 195757Members
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

thanks for your help.
    i've got same problem with Comodo + NS2

But it was shorter for me. Just uninstall Comodo for instance.
    Because even with Comodo turn off, still having trouble ...

Here's my steps :

1. Uninstall your virus and firewall program such as comodo ( or MSE, Northern).
    2. Restart the PC
    3. start play or optimize NS2
    4. Exit NS2 and install your virus and firewall Program.

And works fine now.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for posting the solution!!
    Someone should contact that company to notify them
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    How could a disabled firewall still block NS2?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Namm wrote: »

The issue there is that many antivirus tools don't really disable themself if you use their disable function. They just keep themself quiet but keep running.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Namm wrote: »

The issue there is that many antivirus tools don't really disable themself if you use their disable function. They just keep themself quiet but keep running.
    That's horrible.

So "exiting" or "disabling" the firewall software isn't enough. I made NS2 work again by right-clicking the Comodo icon, selecting HIPS and putting it into "Clean PC Mode" and moving ns2.exe to Trusted Files from Unrecognized Files. I'm quite sure I already did this when the Comodo pop-ups attacked me the first time, but anyways...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes AV software and the likes does that to combat virusses and 'stuff' which tries to disable them.