Hive profile doesn't match my real playtime

KirtashKirtash Spain Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195587Members
edited April 2014 in Technical Support
Hi, today I was going to play NS2, then I got kicked from a server with the message: "You need more experience in order to play" or something like that.

I was a bit upset because I have 23 hours of playtime in my Steam profile, but I didn't had a Hive account, so that playtime wasn't registered anywhere but Steam.
Now I have created my Hive account, and I wonder if staff can add to my Hive profile those 23 hours of gameplay that were not registered, it's a lot of time for me because I'm always busy and I don't play much :-(

Thank you.

Comments

• ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I wouldnt worry about it, very few servers filter people out based on playtime and the best thing to do is just find another server.

Of the servers that do filter based on playtime I've noticed they tend to look at your NS2Stats figures. (NS2Stats is a mod and will only track your stats on servers running the mod). The only way to build up stats on this is to just play on NS2Stats servers for a fair amount of time.

Also as a side note the Hive is still unfinished and doesnt really count for much and only shows a fraction of playtime for the majority of the community anyway.

If it makes you feel better I've been booted from servers before by no-rookie mods claiming I havent played enough yet despite the fact im sitting on 500+ hours :p

In short, dont worry about it and if you get kicked from servers for failing any stat checks they have in place just find another :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Zinkey wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry about it, very few servers filter people out based on playtime and the best thing to do is just find another server.

Of the servers that do filter based on playtime I've noticed they tend to look at your NS2Stats figures. (NS2Stats is a mod and will only track your stats on servers running the mod). The only way to build up stats on this is to just play on NS2Stats servers for a fair amount of time.

Also as a side note the Hive is still unfinished and doesnt really count for much and only shows a fraction of playtime for the majority of the community anyway.

If it makes you feel better I've been booted from servers before by no-rookie mods claiming I havent played enough yet despite the fact im sitting on 500+ hours :p

In short, dont worry about it and if you get kicked from servers for failing any stat checks they have in place just find another :)

Im kinda tired of correcting these wrong info. :(

As i have posted many times before the mod does check your gametime via hive, ns2stats and the steam api .

There is only that one issue that to use the steamapi the given profile has to be public. So if you would like to play on such a server and have alot of playtime just show it to the public by making your steam profile public.

So that the mod can get the needed data ... . ;)

@Kirtash As your profile is public did you noticed what was the requiered playtime at that server?

Lot of them allready requiere ppl to have more than 75h to not count as rookie.But therefor there are also rookie ( -friendly ) servers allowing you to collect the needed time and experimence needed to join those "norookie" servers
  • KirtashKirtash Spain Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195587Members
    Hi. Thank you both for the info.
    My profile was private. I made it public just to show you in this post my playtime. So I guess that was the issue!

BTW. That server needed just 10 hours of playtime.

Cheers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Kirtash wrote: »
    Hi. Thank you both for the info.
    My profile was private. I made it public just to show you in this post my playtime. So I guess that was the issue!

BTW. That server needed just 10 hours of playtime.

Cheers.

Ok great, if you still have any issues fell free to pm me i will then look closer into your case as you might have found a bug of the mod etc.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    poor Zinkey only tried to help.
    BADLY!
    muhahatrolololo
    edited April 2014
    CCTEE wrote: »
    poor Zinkey only tried to help.
    BADLY!
    muhahatrolololo

It not his fault alone, clearly every admin knows about the fact that the mod doesn't work with private profiles.

Why don't they inform their players and it's up to me ( the "bad" modder ) to get things sorted out ?
    That's what i get tired to do ~X(
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ Apologies it was not a dig at you about NS2stats, I was unaware it checked gametime from all those sources good to know.

What do you know of servers kicking based on rating? One of the main servers I have trouble with is the ACV.fi No Rookies server (great server when it lets me play btw :P) They seem to use some sort of rookie mod which checks your stats then tells you to go and play some more and kicks you when you fail the check. I have had this happen to me AFTER playing a game on the server and then being told im too rookie to play there post mapchange. I assumed this server handles its kicking based not on playtime but on ELO rating, which would explain why I can play sometimes and not others. Probably a better question for their admins but I have yet to get around to asking them.

Anyway this was more the case I was referring to in my response to the OP, main point being pretty much no servers kick people based exclusively on their hive playtime as its one of the most useless statistics ever created (at this point in time :p).
    edited April 2014
    Zinkey wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ Apologies it was not a dig at you about NS2stats, I was unaware it checked gametime from all those sources good to know.

What do you know of servers kicking based on rating? One of the main servers I have trouble with is the ACV.fi No Rookies server (great server when it lets me play btw :P) They seem to use some sort of rookie mod which checks your stats then tells you to go and play some more and kicks you when you fail the check. I have had this happen to me AFTER playing a game on the server and then being told im too rookie to play there post mapchange. I assumed this server handles its kicking based not on playtime but on ELO rating, which would explain why I can play sometimes and not others. Probably a better question for their admins but I have yet to get around to asking them.

Anyway this was more the case I was referring to in my response to the OP, main point being pretty much no servers kick people based exclusively on their hive playtime as its one of the most useless statistics ever created (at this point in time :p).

Ok now it gets interessting.

Actually ns2stats contains two shine plugins which allow admins to check ppl after their "skill".

The populare one is the norookie plugin which just checks the playtime.

But there is another older one called EloTeamRestriction it allows the server admin to set up exact filters with the players ns2stats values to be allowed to play on the server.

I originally coded it back the days i had hopes that ns2stats might become more populare and planned that it could be used to create servers for different player skill divs.

The only current usage of that second plugin i'm aware of is that it is used on some "rookie only" servers to filter all players with enough experimence.

Seems like ACV is also using it. ;)

By default the plugin also shows the server setting at the block msg, but seems like the admin of ACV removed that. So you have really ask him / her to get the filter rules.

Afaik i have no contacts to that server admin :)

BTW: if you ever need info about shine or ns2stats feel free to visit the two wikis

Shine Wiki
    Ns2Stats Wiki

They contain alot info about both mods but sadly not all admin take the time to read them :(
    If you have any more question you are free to ask me. I can't answer in detail about the config of each server but i should have a guess what's going on :D
    Awesome, thanks for the info Ghoul