Help with keybindings.

OnlyMarineOnlyMarine United States Join Date: 2014-04-23 Member: 195577Members
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I'd like to bind 2 keys to jump... Mwheel down(for strafe hopping) and spacebar(for lerk and jetpacks) is this possible? Just by default mwheel down comes naturally to me(played a hell of a lot of NS1) and It's weird just using one or the other when i'm so used to using both =\.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's no jump console command and the bindings menu won't let you bind two buttons for the same action.

Could use AutoHotKey to take care of NS2 binding woes. Something like this would work. Just have space bound for jump ingame, when you use the mouse wheel AHK will send space instead.
    WheelUp::
    	IfWinActive, Natural Selection 2
            Send {Space}

• OnlyMarineOnlyMarine United States Join Date: 2014-04-23 Member: 195577Members
    Doesn't seem to be working for me, I think I did everything right...
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I appreciate games that allow me to bind two (or three) keys to an action.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is strafe hopping? Isn't that what this guy is doing:

I don't think you can do that in ns2... right?
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134564/better-way-to-bind-mousewheel-autohotkey

PS. When I tried manually editing the keybinding file the game couldn't start. Also, ns2 seems to be bit special with autohotkey as well. I had to bind all buttons manually for it to work.
  • OnlyMarineOnlyMarine United States Join Date: 2014-04-23 Member: 195577Members
    edited April 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is strafe hopping? Isn't that what this guy is doing:

I don't think you can do that in ns2... right?

Thats bunnyhopping, i don't really know what you would call it.. it's just extremely natural for me to do in ns1 you could crouch jump strafe and get some amazing speed boosts allowing for dodges and it catches people off hand if you still do it. '
    If your being chased down ahall way or something you can crouch jump in a weird angle and throw the ankle biting menace off of your trail whilst pumping him with lead....

anyway problem is that using this technique with spacebar is extremely awkward if you have long slenderlike fingers... which is why I use mwheel down for jump.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    But if you spam jump, it slows you down... or are we not on the same page here?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe instead of the mouse scroll wheel, you could use a side button on the mouse? That is if your mouse has side buttons.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I can't wait till we can play games with our thoughts... damn keyboard complications.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    I can't wait till we can play games with our thoughts... damn keyboard complications.
    What if your mind can't focus, and you have savory... thoughts.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    james888 wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »
    What if your mind can't focus, and you have savory... thoughts.

Then the game only gets better.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dont see why you'd need mwheel for strafe jumping... my thumb presses space while my fingers use wasd o__o
    Mwheel is really only good for bunny hopping but we have jump queueing in this game.
    Also OP might be interested to know there's no speed boost when strafe jumping as a rine
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Major thumb strain with repetitive jumping is a significant risk, I think.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    we have jump queueing in this game.
    Also OP might be interested to know there's no speed boost when strafe jumping as a rine

Jump queuing completely removes the need to bind jump to your mwheel
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Gibs wrote: »
    we have jump queueing in this game.

Jump queuing completely removes the need to bind jump to your mwheel

Not if you want to use space for firing...
    Pls devs make primary / secondary keybinding setting available

• GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Not if you want to use space for firing...

It doesn't matter what you bind space to, it will still queue your next jump if you hold down the bound jump key...