Can't connect to some of the servers, Timeout

xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Hello, a friend of mine has this this problem, she can't connect to some of the servers for no obvious reason.
As it's not me, I can't get much info, but here's what happens: she joins a server, sees 'authentication' screen and then she's back to main menu with Timeout error. Everybody else can join the server just fine, and could for more than a year. In fact, I've never heard anyone having such troubles, so I guess problem is on friend's side. But where could it be?

All I can get is a screenshot of console and tech_support file
74a49bf2c0d57f0be2370257630e01c5.png

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    So far i can't really see any issue in the tech_support.zip or the log.

Could be some kind of dns cache issue, is she able to ping the given server?

( Open cmd ->type "ping <ip of server>" )

If not so retry it after using "ipconfig /flushdns" ( clears the local dns cache )

Last but not least did she allready try the useall steps to fix a ns2 problem listed here and a Full Nuke ?

• alnairalnair Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If your friend is able to get a ping from the server as suggested @GhoulofGSG9‌ you can try to set "Extra Precaching" to off. (at the bottom of General Settings in the Options tab)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    alnair wrote: »
    If your friend is able to get a ping from the server as suggested @GhoulofGSG9‌ you can try to set "Extra Precaching" to off. (at the bottom of General Settings in the Options tab)

I'm aware of Extra prechaching problem (had one myself) and we made sure it's off. Pinging server is great idea, we'll try that first, thank you guys.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if this is related, but it doesnt hurt to try:
    Steam > Options > Ingame > Server Browser: Max Pings per Minute. Use a smaller value (or a higher, needs to be tested)
    A lower value here helped me update the ns2 server browser in general.
  • tohrbogentohrbogen Join Date: 2012-06-22 Member: 153543Members
    I have a similar Problem:
    I can't connect to any server. I tried quick join and all kinds of different servers but it always says "Could not establish a connection with the server". I can't even start a Training server. Tried to restart and looked around in some forums for a bit but nothing seems to help.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    tohrbogen wrote: »
    I have a similar Problem:
    I can't connect to any server. I tried quick join and all kinds of different servers but it always says "Could not establish a connection with the server". I can't even start a Training server. Tried to restart and looked around in some forums for a bit but nothing seems to help.

Hi, we need more info to help you out a good start is to read this ;)
    Alright, thanks for the understanding towards a newbie :D
    Attached the .zip file.. hope this is how you need it :D
    Alright, thanks for the understanding towards a newbie :D
    Attached the .zip file.. hope this is how you need it :D

Did you allready tried the steps given at the link because in your case it looks like the cache is corrupted ( %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\
    )
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    edited April 2014
    xen32 wrote: »

So it seems not to be a network issue yay. Did she allready tried deleting %appdata%, validating gfc etc. ?

So it seems not to be a networkissue yay ? Did she allready tried deleting %appdata%, validating gfc etc. ?

Validating - yes, deleting - no, will be next thing we try.

So it seems not to be a networkissue yay ? Did she allready tried deleting %appdata%, validating gfc etc. ?

Validating - yes, deleting - no, will be next thing we try.

Report back after you have work down the list of useall things ( Deleting %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\ etc. )
    Uninstalling and eleting appdata and common/ns2 didn't help either
    We've got a new log that contains something that might give someone with enough knowledge a clue:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46228326/ns/logsa/log.txt

It looks to me that there is something that can help us identify problem, I just don't have enough technical knowledge to tell.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Nope.. other than you running a mod, it just shows a timeout.

Did you try the steam server update rate settings as suggested in here?
    Timing out is symptomatic of flooding (see the 1st page of the Stickied thread on connection problems for more on this)
    yes we tried, didn't work
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Unless you ping for basicly nonstop it wont give any useful feedback. If there is a downtime, you wont see it with a mere 4 pings. use ping ip /t for a continues ping. (ctrl+c or closing the cmd will cancel)

You confident it works without the mod?
    Hmm.. its not on all servers you said?
    Uhm.. last I checked ns2 connects with IPs, making me wonder why a flushdns would matter in the slightest?

Remember it can be not on her end! I had a period I could not connect to some UK servers for a while, or on rare moments when I could I had absurd lag. After some research on my end it proved to be hosted by the same club. So it is possible its not her enviroment.

ping and tracert are for the obvious problems, good results does not however mean a lack of problem. It may very well be that the connection inbetween still goes down.
    I wonder if server admins are willing and able to check their logs on their end.
    It's the same server family, and she can join half the server that are hosted on one IP, but can't connect to those that share another IP.
    But problem is not limited to these servers, same goes for rest of the servers out there: can join some of them, others throw her out with timeout, so I guess it's not that one server problem.
    Pinging for prolonged time was successful.

She has no router.
    She called ISP, they say they don't block anything.
    Complete NS2 nuke was done (uninstall, appdata, common, userdata plus clientregistry.blob)

And last, we definitely could play on those servers few months ago, I don't know what changed after that time.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just out of curiosity, can you setup a VPN on her PC? I'm pretty sure it will rule out the ISP filtering possibility (they may tell you that they don't shape or filter traffic but I wouldn't believe them) and will allow to connect. OpenVPN would be fine, setting up a server isn't too hard. Also, there are commercial and even free VPN providers out there.
    edited May 2014
    Did you allready tried the steps given at the link because in your case it looks like the cache is corrupted ( %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\
    )

Well now i have tried everything that was on that list and i also reinstalled ns2 to see if it would fix the problem, but still no luck.

Edit:
    Alright, so the new update hasn't helped. When the game tries to optimize i get the error that i couldn't establish a connection with the server.
    so i had a look at the console and the kind of output it gives. As soon as i connect i get 4 Errors:

Loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    Warning: Overriding map's pathing_settings.option_tile_size from 48 to 36
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_descent.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    Error: Couldn't bind socket (Normalerweise darf jede Socketadresse (Protokoll, Netzwerkadresse oder Anschluss) nur jeweils einmal verwendet werden.
    )
    Error: Error binding server to :27015
    Error: SteamGameServer_Init call failed
    Error: Couldn't connect to Steam
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably, you already have something running on the port 27015. You can check with netstat -an, look for LISTEN lines.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Error: Couldn't connect to Steam

Id start there
    Well any ideas how i could fix it? My limited experience in that field limits what i can do without help^^

things like shutting down the firewall or changing steam options don't seem to work.
    Well any ideas how i could fix it? My limited experience in that field limits what i can do without help^^

things like shutting down the firewall or changing steam options don't seem to work.

Tried to start a server via server browser -> create with another port ( e.g. 8116 )?
    edited May 2014
    @tohrbogen‌
    Sorry i didn't notice your tech support file earlier.
    You should make a new thread if the following does not solve your issue, as it is unrelated to the issue the OP has.
    Date: 04/21/14
    Time: 20:54:46:
    Build 264
    Windows 7 64-bit (build 7601)
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    Direct3D 9 initialized: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (9.18.13.3523)
    Sound Device: Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
    Record Device: Mikrofon (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    PhysX: Using GPU dispatcher
    PhysX: Using GPU dispatcher
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Queuing download of 'àˆŸ8 Ù'ê à£8 ‹5/8Õ'ê'
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 264
    Steam Id: 45936242
    Error: Couldn't download mod 'àˆŸ8 Ù'ê à£8 ‹5/8Õ'ê' (file doesn't exist in Steam Workshop)
    Connecting to server 85.236.100.186:28315

Notice how your system is downloading a mod before the main menu is even loaded?
    Please unsubscribe from all NS2 mods in steam workshop:

way 1: steam -> library -> NS2 (right klick) -> community hub -> workshop (at top) -> subscribed items (on the right)
    way 2: steam -> library -> NS2 (left klickt) -> browse the workshop (some where in the middle) -> subscribed items (on the right)
    way 3: steam -> community -> workshop (all at top) -> search for Natural Selection 2 -> subscribed items (on the right)

Then manually delete your hidden folder C:/User/YourName/Appdata/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop
    Then we can move on from there
    Damn shame, neither the other port nor the unsubscribing of mods and deleting the workshop folder helped.
    So as you recommended, i will open another thread on this.

Thank you alot for your assistance so far :)