Suggestion: the "Sprout " a new alien building

puggeruggerpuggerugger UK Join Date: 2014-03-09 Member: 194626Members
edited April 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
So I thought of an idea that would give alien teams more strategies, especially ones involving stealth and comeback manoeuvres. A new building called the "sprout," designed to stimulate the mind of creative commands and give them something to do with all that damn res that builds up late game.

The sprout is a building that works just the same as other alien buildings, the commander places it and drifters, gorges and such accelerate the growth, it is rooted to it's position but can be teleported to other viable infested areas with echo. The catch is that is has to be built on a resource nozzle. What the sprout does is that it allows cysts to be built from it, like a hive, however keeping in mind that your team is wasting a resource tower on cyst support and that the nozzle needs to have infestation on it in the first place, meaning it can be hard to conceive it. So some features of it are.

The sprout requires level 3 biomass to build, this means that the aliens can build it while down to their last hive but it still requires some heavy resource commitment, making it harder to just get on up in crossroads and then cyst the entire map right at the start of the game.

The sprout costs 10 resources, a little more then a harvester but quite a fraction of the res required for a hive, seeing as the point of the thing is to be a "mini hive" that helps maintain the cyst chain.

The sprout, unlike the hive, does not infect the entire room. Again it's for maintaining the cyst chain when the enemy has taken the room outside your hive, not creating a big fortified base.

The sprout has 1.2 times the health of a harvester, seeing as it would be a priority target yet it does need infestation around it to survive.

The sprout does not at all collect resources, making a sprout is a risky move that shouldn't be a first resort.

The sprout and harvester would have a new mutate button to be used when you click on them, it would cost the same amount of res as it would to be the appropriate structure however the construction time for the new building is reduced by 75% when mutating between the two, allowing for quick changes between "ok we've restored the cyst chain, lets go back to getting res" mode and "O shit, they just took generator and have cut off the cyst chain" mode. The sprout can still be built on the commanders construction menu though.

The sprout visually would have to look similar to a harvester, due to the mutate feature. I imagined the "stem" being upright with the orange sphere looking like a stigma on top of it with the "ribcage" turning into bony "petals."

Obviously the marines should get some kind of tool that helps them "skip" an alien claimed room in order to balance this out, but I have no idea what as of yet, please give suggestions in that regard.

Reiterate this building is intended to give alien players more tactics to experiment with, especially with breaking spawncamp-related stalemates.

So there it is, my little idea, please tell me if you liked it or if I'm a total moron.

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Very interesting, creative idea. I'd like to see something along the lines of a structure that can be built on an RT that offers something other than res flow. I'm not sure about the specific implementation you outlined though(cyst chain cutting usually best countered by crag/whip placement, which lets you keep your res flow).
    I'm sure there are other things you could do with this concept though, I like it
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    Well, since res income is the single most importand thing in this game I don't see why you'd ever build the sprout instead of and rt just to maintain a cystchain.
    Just calculate for how long you delay lifeforms with 1 less rt and then think about how much easier it is to keep your cystchains alive with the lifeforms. Also, why would you sacrafice a resnode just to expand to the next (probably deeper in marine territory) node. That way you spend res on the sprout, the cysts and the new rt, compared to just 1 rt in a probably safer place.

Also a similar mechanic is already in the game with the infestation around gorgetunnels...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also a similar mechanic is already in the game with the infestation around gorgetunnels...
    Or the contamination that comes late game.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    I don't like the idea that it uses resource point.

Res is one of the most important things in the game.
  • Mad3ngineerMad3ngineer Descent Join Date: 2014-04-23 Member: 195570Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    I don't like the idea that it uses resource point.

Res is one of the most important things in the game.
    designed to stimulate the mind of creative commands and give them something to do with all that damn res that builds up late game.

• ShamelessCookieShamelessCookie United States Join Date: 2014-06-11 Member: 196499Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    There is already a more preferable way of accomplishing what you're describing. Build a crag next to a harvester, and the crag will maintain the harvester, cysts, and infestation - even if cut off from the rest of the cyst chain.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Maybe it can sprout out of a destroyed power node instead?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea of having a structure on nodes other than harvesters - but this suggestion makes zero sense to me. Strategically, there is no circumstance where I'd ever build a "sprout" rather than a harvester. A cut cyst chain is usually not a big deal at all - you can leave a cut cyst chain for quite a long while - but if you're insecure about it, just put a crag up.

Maybe a structure that gives additional biomass could be considered?