GorgeCraft Mapping Contest

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited April 2014 in Mapping
GorgeCraft is 2 years old on 28th April 2014, and I plan to celebrate by releasing the final version of GorgeCraft on this date (fingers crossed).

One thing I would like is to have 4 maps for the mod, and while I may be able to produce 1 myself, I am certainly not capable of producing 4!!

So I decided to have an open mapping contest to create some maps for inclusion with GorgeCraft. Below are the details of the contest, have fun, and remember, GorgeCraft maps are easy to make, so if you are new to mapping, they make a great place to start :D

Mapping Contest Rules & Information.

Maps need to be completed by 21st April 2014.
I will be the Judge of the contest and I will pick what I think are my top 4 in order.
The top 3 will automatically be added to the mod on release.
The map that finishes 4th will go into a community vote against my map to see which makes it into the mod.
Maps need to consist of a building area no bigger than a 1400 cube, although smaller is ok.
A smaller spawn area that connects to the building area is required to discourage players building over spawn points.
Models are reduced by 50% in the final version of GorgeCraft, so maps would still be very big at that size.
For scaling and understanding, you can contact me to get a version with the model scaling added for testing purposes.
Maps can have more than one building area, but the focus should be on making these environments seems as natural as possible.
Themes should be based around caves and snowy/forested outdoor landscapes. Inspirations include Mineshaft Cave and Summit Crevice.
Please speak to me before using any additional mods in your map, as their usage would have to be cleared before being released with the mod.

Maps will need a GCGamerules, Team Spawn Entities, A Ready Room with Ready Room Spawns, and an Alien Join Team entity. Occlusion Geometry, Skybox and relevant collision geometry will also be required.

Alternatively, you could build in the map in normal ns2 mode, and I can add the relevant GCGamerules and Team Spawn entities for testing on my machine.

Good Luck, Have Fun and I hope you will give it a go, whatever your level of mapping experience.

This video gives you an idea of how small the models are now in a normal sized crevice:

Comments