Constant hitching

A_Gay_PossumA_Gay_Possum Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187372Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So I've been having trouble with hitching for quite some time now. It's persisted through many updates, so I figured I better try to get to the bottom of it. What will happen is that my screen will freeze for just a moment, then continue on as normal. Some maps it seems to happen more than others (biodome and eclipse for example) but it is not map specific. Some games it happens constantly, and others barely at all. It can happen at anytime in the game, not only in late game. Let me be clear that it's not a performance issue, I find the FPS I get in game to be sufficient except for the hitching. I've tried changing from DX11 to DX9 thinking it may have something to do with that, but to no avail. I've also tried playing with the settings a bit, but nothing really seems to help.

After some reading around, it seems that some screen shots of the profile at the time when the hitching occurred are needed, so here are mine. Let me know if there's some other info that's needed.

System specs are:
i5 3570k @ 3.4 ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 660 2GB

Any help with the issue will be greatly appreciated :)

YFCv63r.jpg
JNHkfD5.jpg
qi91ehB.jpg
lZxBeMD.jpg

Comments

• MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    I think its Nvidia problem. I have same problem with DX11 and couple nvidia friends have same hitching.. BUT AMD friend doesn't have this hitching problem. Using DX9 solved my hitching while I get collision errors (Error: Attempting to sync an invalid collision rep!), lower fps, but better input lag.. Maybe its just that Nvidia support DX11.0 but AMD can support DX11.1.. dunno

This is my DX11 run, map Biodome 24players:
    You can clearly see framerate spikes (the hitch):
    34bf87170988f2b97da1d8251e2a8d6f.png
  • A_Gay_PossumA_Gay_Possum Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187372Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, this is the first and last nvidia card I will have, for many reasons besides these NS issues. I've been an ATI boy all my life, except this time nvidia made an offer I could not refuse in terms of specs for price (there was a huge sale).

Besides that, I've already tried DX9, but the hitching still remains :(
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    there is an extra precache option have you tried playing with that turned on? It will mean slightly longer load times (but should not be that noticable with your rig)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This sounds similar to the problem that @IronHorse and I have. It is related to texture streaming and occurs speicifcally at locations on different maps.

Does it happen when you round specific corners? When you turn quickly? etc??

It may be a Nvidia specific issue regarding VRAM allocation. In the meantime.. could you turn the textures down to medium and tell me if it still persists?
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    ok my hitching is little different, d3d11device:Present, d3d11Swapchain: Restorefullscreenstate 1 or 2 http://i6.aijaa.com/b/00075/13127097.jpg
  • A_Gay_PossumA_Gay_Possum Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187372Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Loki wrote: »
    there is an extra precache option have you tried playing with that turned on? It will mean slightly longer load times (but should not be that noticable with your rig)

I turned that option on as soon as it came out. No difference for me.
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    This sounds similar to the problem that @IronHorse and I have. It is related to texture streaming and occurs speicifcally at locations on different maps.

Does it happen when you round specific corners? When you turn quickly? etc??

It may be a Nvidia specific issue regarding VRAM allocation. In the meantime.. could you turn the textures down to medium and tell me if it still persists?

I can't say for certain if it's only at specific locations on the map, but I do believe you're on the right track. It does seem to happen as I am moving through the map, or when I turn quickly. Annoyingly, it does seem to happen more often when getting into a battle and my mouse starts moving around, which usually leads to my death.

I tried playing with textures on medium, and it seems better after a brief test, but there are still hitches. I'll have to do more testing to see if there is a notable improvement or not.

I also noticed hitching sometimes when opening the scoreboard or the map. I can post the screenshots if needed.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't say for certain if it's only at specific locations on the map, but I do believe you're on the right track. It does seem to happen as I am moving through the map, or when I turn quickly. Annoyingly, it does seem to happen more often when getting into a battle and my mouse starts moving around, which usually leads to my death.

I tried playing with textures on medium, and it seems better after a brief test, but there are still hitches. I'll have to do more testing to see if there is a notable improvement or not.

I also noticed hitching sometimes when opening the scoreboard or the map. I can post the screenshots if needed.
    Do you have any viedo card mointoring software like MSI afterburner of EVGA precision?

If so, could you perhaps download that, turnit on, make sure it is recording VRAM usage and then play with your normal settings (aka, textures high etc...).

1.I am actually curious how much VRAM is being used...

2. furthermore what the VRAm usage difference for you is on medium and High textures.

3. Also, if there is a spike on the VRAM usage graph when the hitching occurs for you.
    edited March 2014
    Took me some time to test all that, but here are the results:

1) On medium, I use 1100 MB VRAM, 1500-1600 on high. It also seems to climb a tiny bit as the game progresses, but only by a few MB by the end.

2) There are no spikes on VRAM usage when I hitch, but I do notice a spike in my GPU usage (it drops)

3) When I used EVGA Precision, I get the same thing as @Mige‌, spikes in framerate ms

4) I noticed a significant difference when I switched from medium to high textures while in game. Medium seemed fine or barely noticeable, and when I switched to high I was hitching all over the place. This may have been due to switching during a game, I usually don't hitch that much on high textures.
  • freak0utfreak0ut Tremonia Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191766Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    Sorry if there is a newer Thread about this topic, didn't find one.

I bought a new PC with a GTX 970 - first I was happy with the fps as they are constantly on 120 fps or above. Then I experienced this hitching. Sudden frame drops from 120 to 70-90 and r_stats shows 3-5ms of waiting for GPU. After that all back to normal. Occures at fast movements and when I turn around ( joined an empty server, flew around as a Lerk, no hitching at all though). Checked with OSD from msi afterburner and it seems the Card is only using 1 Gb of VRAM - it stays around ~1090mb

How can I give you more precise data about this problem? just p_logall? Install fraps and log the fps drops? Maybe there is a solution to this problem already?

Edit: oh and btw my old PC has an AMD 7870 (runs with lower fps but without hitching/problems)

Edit2: tested around a little bit, in DX11 it doesn't show the VRAM properly (alway 4GB free), with DX9 it seems to work. But I get lower fps than with DX11, is that normal?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    A p_logall would go a long way in seeing what is happening indeed.
    DX11 has complete different fps and stability then DX9.. DX11 in ns2 is much more experimental and if it works better or worse is totally a individual case.

Tbh im kinda impressed you see a hitch if its still 70fps and a mere 5ms waittime but each eyes are different.. ;)
    While you are at it also make a techsupport.exe filedump. I do not need you to run ns2 at this time, since you do not crash I doubt anyone is interested in your dumpfile. (They can always ask anyway).

You did set the correct vram options in NS2s menu?
    NS2 uses around 1-1.7GB of vram last I checked so that sounds perfectly fine.
    Often cards lie about there vram in DX9.. DX11 reports this much more accurate.

I assume you may have hitches when something is first loaded in. This would result in it not hitching the 2nd time you need it, as its already loaded. More VRAM keeps more loaded if I understood correct, but on the first load it shall always be less fast.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Also, seeing your techsupport zip file would be helpful. For instance, are you running vsync or AO?