ns2_hotdogs (the return!)

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited February 2014 in Mapping
COMPLETELY remade the map, there are NO remnants of the old map at all to be seen. Therefore, here is a new thread for a new map. (There just happens to be a thread already for some other map also called ns2_hotdogs that seems to have been abandoned by the author... which was also me. ;) )
189441bf73d9edf5d5e49be2110fcc.jpg

As stated above (and I feel like stating again), this is an entirely new layout. Some of the names of locations have been reused, but that's about it in terms of carry over from the previous map. There are 5 tech points, and 9 rt's. I have spent the last few days painstakingly balancing this map so each of the 3 starting techpoints (the north, southeast, and southwest) each have an equal walking time and cyst distance to their two closest rt's (give or take a second/cyst :). I also went through and textured everything... nothing fancy, and pretty ugly in some places, but it's just so the map's not that awful grey color that can sometimes even hinder an alien's ambush.

I'm really excited to see how well this plays.

EDIT: The overview map really doesn't show much of any details here. These rooms aren't as open as they may appear.

EDIT2: This might help: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174122137&searchtext=hotdogs

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Congrats on gettin this beast up and out again, good luck w/ the rest of the process.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Judging from the minimap is has big LOS issues
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Judging from the minimap is has big LOS issues

Somebody didn't read the last line of my post!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    But that one TP... what was it called? Overlook?.... looked awesome D:
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    But that one TP... what was it called? Overlook?.... looked awesome D:

Yea I did like "The View" TP, but it had to go!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Right, the view. A pity.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I really like the layout. the only problem is run times are too long for marines. I've struggled with the scale issue a lot myself so can empathize with the difficulties in judging it. My latest thoughts on the matter are to make it as small as possible but with keeping arc ranges and common sense in mind. Then balance through cover and vents. The longer the run times the long marines just spend traversing a map which is never fun for anyone.
    @ObliviousSight do some run times
    Killing floor looks like its easily accessible, but you have to actually run there for a long time. I think I went there twice; it felt awkward.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I got as far as Ravine once, and Catwalk once. That was it. It felt like it took forever to get there too. When you compare timings on maps like summit and tram, which take around 15 secs from point to point, this seems a bit too far. Map may need to be scaled down somewhat.
    edited February 2014
    Howser wrote: »
    I really like the layout. the only problem is run times are too long for marines. I've struggled with the scale issue a lot myself so can empathize with the difficulties in judging it. My latest thoughts on the matter are to make it as small as possible but with keeping arc ranges and common sense in mind. Then balance through cover and vents. The longer the run times the long marines just spend traversing a map which is never fun for anyone.
    @ObliviousSight do some run times

I've done all the run times, got them all written down, so that won't be necessary.

I know the run times are very long, and I'll see what I can do to make them quicker, but there's only so much I can do without introducing a ton of ridiculous arc spots or line of sight issues. That being said, I'm still not sure how this current version balances out. I have played 3 rounds on it, aliens won twice, marines once. Maybe that was a fluke, maybe it wasn't, who knows? What IS clear however is that marines will need to be a bit more attentive to their RTs, and phase gates are much more important now.
    Killing floor looks like its easily accessible, but you have to actually run there for a long time. I think I went there twice; it felt awkward.

My initial goal with this map was to make every tech point just as accessible as any other. So you would be able to start at any of the 5 tech points, instead of just the 3 on the outside like it is right now. I quickly realized this wasn't practical because in order to make the routes in the middle long enough to balance it out against the long runtimes between the other tps, I'd have to make the paths in the middle extremely winding. They still are to an extent, but not as much as they'd have to be.

I'm also planning on shrinking reception down so it's much less open, that's the biggest problem I can see right now.

Still, the biggest problem is those damn arcs. Even now, with the long run times, there's spots where you can stick an arc and it can blast away at certain tech points... not the hive itself, but maybe can take down a few upgrades if the alien comm placed them poorly.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I got as far as Ravine once, and Catwalk once. That was it. It felt like it took forever to get there too. When you compare timings on maps like summit and tram, which take around 15 secs from point to point, this seems a bit too far. Map may need to be scaled down somewhat.

Problem is, if I scale down the map, arc's start to dominate. I was very careful to make sure that say... Freezer cannot be arced from security, or killing floor can't be arc'd from cloning vats. They're just barely out of range right now.

I will try to improve route timings, but It has to stay balanced whatever I do. Not sure how much I can improve them. (Seriously... f***ing arcs, can't say enough bad things about them.)
    Alright, almost done with these new revisions. I've managed to get route timings down to about 18 seconds from TP to RT... not sure if this will be enough though. Thoughts?
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Testing time.
    Soon F0rd... soon...
    I just finished publishing version 0.4.0!!! Too many changes to list, but basically just made the map a little smaller so marines don't have quite so long of a hike to get to their natural RTs.
    Has anybody had a chance to play this yet? We weren't able to test it on Sunday with the SCC, unfortunately.
    Small update:
    -Fixed some line of sight issues.
    -Reception is much less open now.
    -Commander view has been cleaned up a little bit.
    -Cheese mines RT is much less snipe-able now.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I must admit, some of the names of your rooms make me hungry for chilli cheese clogs.