Can more modded servers be added to hive?

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
Basically every server runs shine administration, and thus isn't included in the list of servers that report to hive. This is quite frustrating for me because every populated server with a decent ping near me doesn't report to hive. As a result, if a server has a skill minimum, I get kicked, despite having put in 853 hours in this game.

Can we whitelist specific mods rather than adding each server by hand?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Technically whitelisting some mods is not possible atm. Therefor ever admin is free to use "[Shine] ns2stats" to reenable hive on his server.
    And i can't really understand you there are good servers in all regions supporting ns2stats and hive.

Just have a look at the whitelist: http://hive.naturalselection2.com/servers/whitelist (lot of modded servers)
    As a result, if a server has a skill minimum, I get kicked, despite having put in 853 hours in this game.

Could you explain this abit more detailed, i have never seen a server using some kind of hive skill restriction.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    Technically whitelisting some mods is not possible atm. Therefor ever admin is free to use "[Shine] ns2stats" to reenable hive on his server.
    And i can't really understand you there are good servers in all regions supporting ns2stats and hive.

Just have a look at the whitelist: http://hive.naturalselection2.com/servers/whitelist (lot of modded servers)
    As a result, if a server has a skill minimum, I get kicked, despite having put in 853 hours in this game.

Could you explain this abit more detailed, i have never seen a server using some kind of hive skill restriction.

I guess what he meant is the played time restriction of your no-rookies plugin.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    The no-rookies plugin will soon get a update so it uses the higher playtime of hive or ns2stats.

I'm really sry for all troubles my plugin causes for some players, but every server admin can whitelist ppl by himself.
    Maybe if he really has problems with the no-rookie protection he should contact the given admin to whitelist him.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    you can mod "PlayerRanking.lua"
    overwrite the functions PlayerRanking:GetTrackServer() and PlayerRanking:GetGameMode() (should always return "ns2")
    this will cause the server to send player stats updates after every round, however this wont whitelist them automatically, acedude would have to add the server to our db
    edited January 2014
    Sewlek wrote: »
    you can mod "PlayerRanking.lua"
    overwrite the functions PlayerRanking:GetTrackServer() and PlayerRanking:GetGameMode() (should always return "ns2")
    this will cause the server to send player stats updates after every round, however this wont whitelist them automatically, acedude would have to add the server to our db

No need to change PlayerRanking:GetGameMode() ;) Change PlayerRanking:GetTrackServer() to return true and you're done, but should we publish these informations to the public ? Everyone interessted in it will find this anyway.

BTW: Maybe look at this to get the "right" gamemode anyway:
    --[[
            Gamemode stuff.
    ]]

local Gamemode

--[[
            Gets the name of the currently running gamemode.
    ]]
    function GetGamemode()
            if Gamemode then return Gamemode end

local GameSetup = io.open( "game_setup.xml", "r" )

if not GameSetup then
                    Gamemode = "ns2"

return "ns2"
            end

local Data = GameSetup:read( "*all" )

GameSetup:close()

local Match = Data:match( "<name>(.+)</name>" )

Gamemode = Match or "ns2"

return Gamemode
    end

If now all gamemode modder, edit game_setup.xml correctly we shouldn't have a problem :D
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I play several times a week for a few rounds. I don't pay much attention to what server I'm joining, I just pick a low ping one that isn't full. It doesn't seem to record any of them. I have only a handful of games recorded since hive launched.

The most recent one I played was on HyperionGaming.org | NS2 | West Coast, 66.151.138.182:27085

No mods to speak of other than shine, and the several rounds I played don't appear on my hive page.
    edited January 2014
    moultano wrote: »
    I play several times a week for a few rounds. I don't pay much attention to what server I'm joining, I just pick a low ping one that isn't full. It doesn't seem to record any of them. I have only a handful of games recorded since hive launched.

The most recent one I played was on HyperionGaming.org | NS2 | West Coast, 66.151.138.182:27085

No mods to speak of other than shine, and the several rounds I played don't appear on my hive page.

Easy Rule: Vanilla Server + NS2Stats Server (+ TGNS + HBZ and other server with their own mods) will report to hive. ;)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    And we're back here again: the answer once more is to go rookie stomping on official servers. :(
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have to agree with Roobubba, but here is my question...

Why is EVERY UWE provided server rookie friendly? Why is Rookie friendly default? I understand we want to look after rookies, but everyone who sets up a server has a rookie server by default unless they are aware and change it.

Of course, they don't change it because rookie friendly encourages more of the playerbase to be accepted on their server, although, some are unaware of it completely.

Can we change maybe 1/4 of the UWE servers to non-rookie servers? So UWE are providing for all their community?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maybe it's just me, but I have definitely seen white UWE officials in my browser. I'll try to get screenshot next time I see it.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Why is EVERY UWE provided server rookie friendly? Why is Rookie friendly default? I understand we want to look after rookies, but everyone who sets up a server has a rookie server by default unless they are aware and change it.

If people set up a server and don't even bother configuring it, or looking at the server list once, I'm quite sure you're at a loss already.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Easy Rule: Vanilla Server + NS2Stats Server (+ TGNS + HBZ and other server with their own mods) will report to hive. ;)

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying this is an algorithm for how I can find servers that report to hive? I don't want to have to find servers to report to hive, I want to be able to play on normal servers and have hive work. Right now it doesn't. Can you explain why that hyperiongaming server I listed above doesn't report to hive?
    edited January 2014
    moultano wrote: »

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying this is an algorithm for how I can find servers that report to hive? I don't want to have to find servers to report to hive, I want to be able to play on normal servers and have hive work. Right now it doesn't. Can you explain why that hyperiongaming server I listed above doesn't report to hive?

It isn't white listed.
    vs
    95 HyperionGaming.org *NEW* | NS2 | West Coast 74.91.118.234:27015 January 3

Bicsum wrote: »
    It isn't white listed.
    vs
    95 HyperionGaming.org *NEW* | NS2 | West Coast 74.91.118.234:27015 January 3

That's what's frustrating. This is not a new server. It has been around for a year, yet still isn't in the whitelist. Either this needs to get more manual attention or we need a different process.
    Fyi
    AceDude wrote: »
    I'll be whitelisting servers each Monday CEST. If you're not seeing your server on the whitelist on Tuesday - contact me.
    edited January 2014
    Hey i know the answer ;) That given server didn't used shine some time and was therefor reporting to the hive. *Crazy Ghoul looked into shine stats*
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    See the one little odd guy at the bottom? Is that a real UWE official?
    ago1sjU.jpg
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The non-green uwe official or the unknown server?
    The non-green one is the only #1, so it's likely reyal.
    Not the unknown one, sorry. Just the two NA-Central #01. I wonder if one of them should be #03? Perhaps that's why the one it's showin up as white also? Just another hiccup like nsl_summit being in rotation. Also notice how all of them are on biodome except for the white one.