[Linux] Game crash when shooting

Comments

• shokksshokks Away from Keyboard Join Date: 2013-10-14 Member: 188698Members
    Great news ! It works when you active the beta version in steam
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    That is super weird.

The beta version and the release version are in theory completely identical unless there is a public beta of a feature running. I checked and they should be the same right now...

That said, if you do have this problem try verifying your cache, and if that fails, I guess switch to the beta and see how that goes as well.
  • B166ERDKB166ERDK Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187770Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hey, i have postet at new and complete gdb and steam log.. And made links to it... but when I clicked post, it said it had to be accepted by an admin before it would show up in the comments..

This gdb has a segfault and info, so it might help.
  • B166ERDKB166ERDK Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187770Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'll try to post them again without, making it at link.

My gdb output:
    http://pastie.org/8421627

My steam log:
    http://pastie.org/8421633
    The beta worked for a game and the second game crashed like before..
    It already did the same for the stable version !
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    the backtrace seems strange. Can you try to create it another way?
    In steam modify the command that executed ns2. It will be black at the moment. write this:
    gdb %command%

Now restart steam from a console (important).
    Now start ns2. Ns2 will not start. open the console and type
    run + enter
    now the game will start
    once it crashes, go back to the console and type
    bt + enter
    that will give you the backtrace

thank you for your help!
    edited October 2013
    Alright then... take nr2.

Had to read up on gdb a little, and i now have the complete output for you.

My gdb output
    pastie.org/8421627

My Steam log
    pastie.org/8421633

Old comment!! that finally arrived.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think you attached the same log again? At least i can't see where you executed the bt command in gdb
    edited October 2013
    That was an old post, that was pending on your system.. because it had to be accepted by an admin because I used a link..

I will test out the new instruction you gave me in just a little while..
    Here is the new output from gdb using the instructions you have provided..

http://pastie.org/8424225
    Here is my backtrace with gdb in steam :
    http://pastie.org/8424875
    And my log.txt
    http://pastie.org/8424878 !

B166ERDK, does it work once if you active the beta in steam ? Right click on your game, choose properties and choose beta in the beta tab !
    edited October 2013
    Shokks, I have tried to change it to beta, but it does not download anything so it is still exactly the same game.. So it was probably just a coincidence that this worked for you..

I have also got the "normal" (non beta) working a couple of times!
    What i did was log in as marine and before i fire anything i change my texture settings back and forth a few times before shooting.
    But it only seems to work 2 out of 10 times soo not really usable.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    B166ERDK,

If the switching to beta thing worked. It probably means one of more for your files is bad. Have you verified your game install via steam? If that doesn't work I would try the obby guide to nuke and re-install from the stickies in the forum.
    Confused,

I have not tried running in beta, i just checked to see if it downloaded anything if i changed it to beta and it didn't, soo it makes no sense that it would work..

I have verified my files and it all checks out fine. No problems there.

But your right (In the words of Starship Troopers), If you locate a bug hole, nuke it. I will try reinstalling and deleting all config files in my home directory.
    edited October 2013
    Right, I have just reinstalled the game.. And nothing has changed, everything seems to work, but when I fire my main gun the game crashes.

If i buy other weapons i can shoot with them no problem, it's only the assault rifle.

And it's so weird because i have a laptop, running the same Linux Mint 15 64Bit system and the Nvidia 331 driver, and the game runs fine on that, the only change on the two systems is the hardware.

BTW I have tested the game with Nvidia version's 313, 325, 331 and they all crash...

Any news on the Backtrace we have given you??
    I haven't passed it on yet. Was trying to make sure it wasn't a bad install.

Only other thing to check is are you using high quality textures?

If you are try turning that down, and see if you still get the same crash. It looks like it might be a memory allocation error.

edited October 2013
    Yes I know about the high quality textures bug, it has been there sense launch for Linux.. (although my laptop is using high textures without a problem) I have tested both low, mid and high textures.. same result, crash when firering assault rifle.
    Has this bug been passed on yet?? Would be really nice to be able to play again when build 259 comes out.
  • DuckyDucky UK Join Date: 2013-10-29 Member: 188869Members
    edited October 2013
    Getting this problem too. Arch Linux, 560Ti and proprietary drivers. Nothing useful in log.txt.

EDIT: So I re-downloaded the files through Steam and actually managed to do the training and play a game without any crashes! However the second time I ran the game, I was presented with the "optimise" selection again. I clicked optimise and it did it's thing. After that, the game just crashes on shooting.
    Can you post your log? You should not have to optimize twice, so the log might reveal something
    edited October 2013
    Asraniel, it the same for us, the first time it works, after, we had to optimize and it crash, the log is always the same, everybody post his log and it's alwas the same : nothing special !
    The texture options change nothing
    Now, we would like to know if the devs know about this bug and if they thought about it in build 259..
    I'm unsure after your response if you tried 259 or not. 259 did fix several linux related crashes, but i dont know if this one was one of them. The backtrace of your crash has been forwarded to the developers. If you dont mind, could you recreate a backtrace for the crash in 259 if it still happens? That would be very helpfull :) Don't worry, you are not ignored
    I saw the build 259 but it didn't solved the problem for me..
    I will recreate a Backtrace later, for now, here is my log.txt with some new things http://pastie.org/8445510
    Just to be sure, when did the game crash for you now? When opening it or when connecting to a server?
    The game crash when I shoot with the weapon of the marine... As before..
  • RoseRose Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188908Members
    I purchased the game through Steam yesterday. It was marked as having linux support (the tux logo).
    I get the same kind of crashes when I try to shoot in the tutorial.
    I have Linux Mint 15 x64, the drivers I have are the official NVIDIA 319 drivers.

Considering that the Linux version doesn't work as intended and there's no available solution for the problem, how can I get a refund?
    contact steam, they handle refunds. Or wait to see if the problem can be fixed with the next patch. The problems seems to be in the nvidia driver judging from the backtrace, upgrading your drivers might solve it
    We already test beta version that didn't solve the problem..
  • DuckyDucky UK Join Date: 2013-10-29 Member: 188869Members
    Here is my entire log - http://pastebin.com/GXKRadF0. The last time I played it was when it crashed just after optimising.

What I meant by optimising again, was that I optimised for the third or fourth time since trying the game, but for the first time since re downloading the content. The only time I managed to play it was on a brand new download without any optimising at all (I'm not sure why it didn't ask to optimise before the first game). It was once I ran the new downloaded version a second time, it asked me to optimise, and then it started crashing again.

I actually do remember being asked to optimise more than once on the first install though. Which was strange.