Any remarkable performance improvement on 256/257?

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
Although Reinforcement brought some good features, NS2 lost even more players because of performance issues and crashes.

I hope this patch brings us great fixes, but as i will not be able to try the game in this weekend, i wish if you guys put some experiences about performance issues here.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Micro stutters are still very frequent and very annoying.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    For me performance is better than ever, no input lag at all(dx9). But that might be hardware dependant
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    http://SamusDroid.imgur.com/ compares 249 vs 254 vs 256. Check out the albums
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    I didn't have terrible performance in previous versions despite being on a budget system, but the input latency was killer. No more input latency, so it feels very smooth now!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have SLI, DX11 with the maxpayne 3 profile will almost undoubtedly give you better frames than DX9.,
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I don't think so. Still absolutely crippled performance for anything past the 10 minute mark. 170fps round start to 60fps round end. Particles and structures absolutely everywhere. Sound jumping around from 20% to 70% of total frametime. If you have played since Luajit, there is nothing I think you will notice.

The input delay has been significantly lowered, but the sensitivity still changes with framerate and come end game your mouse will still feel like its tracking over mud.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    My game (DX11) is fairly smooth now, the only thing that is spoiling my enjoyment now is the dreadful marine strafe jumping.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited September 2013
    for me there's a noticeable difference. everything feels so much smoother. i still get some fps drips in the 40-50's late game, but even then the experience is much more responsive and fluid. i wouldn't say the mouse lag is 100% gone, but it's a vast improvement.
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    turning on Raw input "should" fix the input lag on low fps.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me the improvements were remarkable, A lot better performance now. Just keep improving it!! :x
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I'm noting alot less random fps-to-nill drops now, still happening, but alot less frequent.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    There may be some random bits that aren't being pre-cached, so keep an eye out for those. If you get a micro-stutter or hitch, check the console, and if there's a shader compile message that shouldn't be there please let us know. If you want to be extra cool you can run loadtimes and compare stutters with anything in the console that loadtimes picks up.

We generally do a pretty good job with tracking all these down, but they're persistent buggers and every now and then we get a new one that pops out of nowhere.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been getting decreased performance in general ever since Reinforced came out. My FPS is still 30 lower in most places than it used to be. There have been no noticeable improvements.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Jekt wrote: »
    Still absolutely crippled performance
    to 60fps
    You and me must have different definitions of the word crippled... ;)

There should be a small improvement in performance this patch, in all renderers. Samusdroid's comparison screenshots help back this up. (40 fps vs 65 etc.. on avg a 10-15 fps increase)
    The hitches are known and being worked on, mostly, but most are pretty benign.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    to 60fps

There should be a small improvement in performance this patch, in all renderers. Samusdroid's comparison screenshots help back this up. (40 fps vs 65 etc.. on avg a 10-15 fps increase)

OH COME ON. You really think a drop of 110 frames from early game to late game isn't crippled?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    to 60fps

I think a performance drop of over a 100 frames during the course of a round is unacceptable.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the game is unplayable for me now. huge stutters, like 500ms-1s, right when things start kicking into gear in combat. reinforced, and especially 256-257 ruined the game for me, sorry.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Wheeee wrote: »
    the game is unplayable for me now. huge stutters, like 500ms-1s, right when things start kicking into gear in combat. reinforced, and especially 256-257 ruined the game for me, sorry.

Can you open a support thread? We can try to debug your problem. 500ms to 1 second stutters are absolutely not normal. but good news is, it should be pretty easy to find the source of those stutters.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wheeee wrote: »

Are you me?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Are you all playing on DX9 fullscreeen with no aero workaround? Technically in beta still.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    Reports about bad performance or microstutter are pretty useless without the information on what servers people are playing. There so many horrible servers out there and im sure 60% of the "God, the performance is so bad" threads based on this servers.
  • QuintuplinQuintuplin Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187209Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's always tempting to blame it on the server. Pass the problem on and all that.
    Still, isn't the performance indicator on the server selection screen supposed to account for that? If you've connected to a 90% sever with under 50 ping, there shouldn't be a problem, no?
    edited September 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    Reports about bad performance or microstutter are pretty useless without the information on what servers people are playing. There so many horrible servers out there and im sure 60% of the "God, the performance is so bad" threads based on this servers.

The horrible servers are rarely populated in AU. : p

Server tickrate drops are strikingly distinguishable to a clued in player, the constant teleporting, AI units and random hit indicators give it away. New players joining low performance servers sucks though, and some of the complaints can be contributed to that.

An unstable tick server doesn't feel anything like the ~100fps framerate variation and muddy input feeling of < 90fps that Locklear is talking about. The sensitivity of the mouse actually changes. Such drastic frame rate inconsistencies are difficult to swallow when running the game on absolute minimal settings.

The new input handling feels great at the start of the round though. > 120fps is feeling nice. Unfortunately it's not how the game is realistically played. Regardless of graphical options or how beastly your machine is.

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Quintuplin wrote: »
    It's always tempting to blame it on the server. Pass the problem on and all that.
    Still, isn't the performance indicator on the server selection screen supposed to account for that? If you've connected to a 90% sever with under 50 ping, there shouldn't be a problem, no?
    Write net_stats to console to see whether its the server.

The problem with the performance tab in the serverbrowser is: it shows the performance of the moment you click on update serverlist. So it shows the performance of lets say 1sec.
    After joining this server the situation can be totally different. Thats why the perfomancetab should show the average performance of the last hour. Or something like the skillrating.
    Most people didnt realize how much impact a server has to the overall gameexperience.
    And im sure many mixing rubberbanding (serverissue) with microstutter (clientissue).
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    you guys are having trouble with performance, and i'm sitting here still trying to find a mouse that fits my hand >_<
    edited September 2013
    Not an imagebourd... fun image otherwise :) - GISP
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've gained 10-20 fps in biodome, and the input feels *amazing* now.