Last Stand 2.0 released!

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited September 2013 in Modding
I have taken the Last Stand source code, and painstakingly went through the files and tried my best to get the code to match what is current. It works for the most part that I know of, but I have not really been able to test, and never played the working version to know what it is supposed to be like. I have removed some models from the files in order to cut down on the MASSIVE 80mb file this mod was. I will work on making the textures smaller, and using the existing dropship models already in the code, but for now it will only show the default main menu.

If you see an error, copy the log file from AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/ and send it to me/link it in a pastebin or something so I can fix it hopefully. A list of things wrong would be very helpful.

I could use some people to run the mod and tell me if you find any errors, as I know it isn't perfect, just making sure it is as close to the original working version as possible. If you want to contribute, and attempt to fix the bugs yourself, let me know if you get a working version so I can update my code. Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177810924

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    Having a look right now to see if it works with custom maps, I remember there being an issue with server changing map to a custom map. It works

Bugs:
    • So if you step into the EXO, you spawn a new EXO at the location you are and as a result are able to spawn multiple EXOs :P
    • On initial start it doesn't show the spawn menu
    • During the preparation phase, stuff spawns but the E and G to pick up stuff is not shown. Last Stand was using a new way of picking up things. Point at what you want and press E or G. I think something messed up.
    • Second round and beyond, nothing spawns until the preparation counter has finished
    • You can't construct turrets
    • The big ammo crate doesn't seem to spawn ammopacks

Error log keeps spamming this:
    Error: lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80: attempt to call global 'PlayerUI_GetIsFeinting' (a nil value)
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80: attempt to call global 'PlayerUI_GetIsFeinting' (a nil value)
        Call stack:
        #1: Update lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80
            self = GUIDeathScreen { }
            deltaTime = 0.030582865700126
        #2: Update lua/GUIManager.lua:235
            self = GUIManager { }
            (for index) = 2
            (for limit) = 1
            (for step) = -1
            s = 2
        #3: lua/GUIManager.lua:333
    Error: lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80: attempt to call global 'PlayerUI_GetIsFeinting' (a nil value)
    [Client] Script Error #2: lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80: attempt to call global 'PlayerUI_GetIsFeinting' (a nil value)
        Call stack:
        #1: Update lua/GUIDeathScreen.lua:80
            self = GUIDeathScreen { }
            deltaTime = 0.94509989023209
        #2: Update lua/GUIManager.lua:235
            self = GUIManager { }
            (for index) = 2
            (for limit) = 1
            (for step) = -1
            s = 2
        #3: lua/GUIManager.lua:333

log.zip 593.9K
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    I have fixed the GUIPickup error, but will have to wait until tomorrow to update it.

If you feel ambitious enough you can try to fix them yourself, as the quicker the bugs are gone the better
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Log2.zip has A LOT of errors for you to go through, basically the bugs above is what I tested during that log creation.

Added some more bugs to the list in that initial post :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    For some reason it won't detect you joined the Alien team so the game will never really start. And the mouse is missing on the first load on selection screen.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    GL with fixing this awesome mod All hail to @samusdroid ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    This is awesome! I realy enjoyed playing LS.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Yep. great mod. Happy to see it coming back!
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    Sweet. This mod should become official. Kinda like the robot thing for TF2.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Jones108 wrote: »

Did you have a look at Xenoswarm?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Jones108 wrote: »
    @jones108
    Technically it IS official
    just an fyi.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    You should make a pull request on github when you're happy with it or it would have been pretty much pointless.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

It looks like this...

( •_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

is the Last Stand.
    edited September 2013
    So right now, it looks like everything BUT Exos not going away, sentries not firing, and aliens not being able to spawn, it is working. If you have cheats on and type "skulk" then "thirdperson" you can play it/test. Working on it...

Anyone with any kind of programming knowledge, any sort of help fixing the bug with aliens not spawning at the beginning of the game would be amazing. As I cannot seem to figure out why they won't spawn.
    edited September 2013
    Right now, it is in at least a somewhat playable state. I finally got aliens to spawn, but they spawn in thirdperson, so you can either have cheats on and type "thirdperson" if you want to play it now so you view in first person.

As of now, upgrades don't work, and sentries require a sentry battery to function, I am trying to fix these, but they won't be easy as they are hidden in many files. I will try to figure out the thirdperson or at least force it to be in first person for now, that way the mod is at least playable. There are some random errors with badges and stuff, but that will go away.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice to see this mod coming back.
    I'm considering redoing this the right way using the new mod framework so it doesn't break when you look at it. Since it as changed so much it's really hard to track down a few bugs. Thanks to the people who are helping with fixing this. ;)
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I'm considering redoing this the right way using the new mod framework so it doesn't break when you look at it. Since it as changed so much it's really hard to track down a few bugs. Thanks to the people who are helping with fixing this. ;)
    I never touched lua besides dabbling a bit through the code or I would try and help with checking the code out. And my Bucket o'Time has also seen better days :>
    THANK YOU SEWLEK. TY TY TY. It's like 99% working now.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I'm trying to install it on one of our servers right now but store page does not exist in the link you provided. :(

Can you just tell me the hex id?
    ma992dec_1379055464 that would be a992dec right?
    edited September 2013
    Correct. The mod is named "Last Stand" (Obviously). Sewlek published it for now, but as he finished it I might end up publishing it to mine since I will be maintaining it most likely. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178635687
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Not being able to dedicate enough time to do the whole conversion myself, I did make a start on converting it to using Sewlek's mod framework. If anyone feels like finishing the job, the URL for the repository is here:

https://github.com/AlexHayton/Ns2LastStand-2

If you go inside the 'output' folder and compare the lua_246 folder with the lua_originalLastStand you can work out the changes that need to go into the 'lua' folder and it's quite straightforward to go through a file at a time. The settings you'll need to use on WinMerge are as follows:

GFaWd.jpg

Going alphabetically through the files, once I got it set up I managed to get to 'Babbler.lua' in about half an hour. I reckon it's about a day's work to convert all the rest of the files and a further day to debug. Each converted file also needs adding to one of 'LastStand_Shared', 'LastStand_Client', 'LastStand_Server' or 'LastStand_Predict' to actually load the file when the game starts (if unsure, check which one of those it's referenced in in the lua_246 folder and add as appropriate, but most things live in Shared). Due to other commitments I can't really do any more here but hopefully someone else can take it on?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i did this on saturday already, the mod should stay compatible much longer now. just use the one i published on steam
    Okay, I'm not at a computer that can test it but I put it up on National Gaming server 3. If someone gets a chance to test it let me know.

AA5C3A7 is the new hex id from 178635687.
    @0ni maybe you should enable LS maps instead of defaults
    @0ni maybe you should enable LS maps instead of defaults

That's a pretty sound idea. Where do I find out what the maps are called? There is almost 0% information on the workshop page. :s
    edited September 2013
    There is one community made (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140399515) and the others are inside the laststand mod, look into the maps folder :D